BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Drivetrain Malfunction after driving through water...grrr

long story short, lots of rain in a short period of time last night. I was driving on street and went through an area of water that was relatively high.

Car made it through ok and i immediately pulled into a restaurant to wait out storm. when i got back into the car an hour later i noticed the check engine light was on.

on the way home i noticed a slight hesitation when revving and i got a drivetrain malfunction error. by the time i got home the error was gone, but the check engine light was still on.

a few hours later i went to check on the car and see how it was doing. car seemed to drive better. i could get to higher rpms/speed without the hesitation. however i still got a drivetrain error (at a higher speed, but below highway speed). on the way home the error went away again.

the next morning, i went to drive to dealership for diagnosis. on the highway i was able to get up to speed without any hesitation or error. however when i goosed it in M2 mode (my default aggressive mode) and revved pretty high i got the error again.

made it to the dealership without any other issue and by the time i got there, the drivetrain error was gone.

Does it sound like water got into the engine? or could it be the air filter is clogged/wet and the car could not get enough air in the turbos?

it seems to be rectifying itself? thoughts?

thanks for not flaming me in my time of distress!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Water and errors

Not water in the engine.....most likely water in one of your exhaust Lamda sensors that regulates oxygen content and is used by the ECU to control mixture and thereby emissions. If your Lamda sensor isn't working your car will run poorly, as you experienced

My experience with this is that once reset, they will run for a while but will fail again at some point. Because the problem is intermittent it can be quite hard for a technician to diagnose which sensor is faulty, so dealers often replace both
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:44 AM   #3
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I once cleaned the engine with almost no water and got a same error. When I went to the dealership, there was drops of waters in the coils which has caused the error. 200 bucks later and all was back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Ziff73
Private
Rep

Update:

Dealership didn't get a chance to read codes yesterday. On the way back in this morning, I opened her up on the highway and she felt normal again! Sounds like it was a sensor/airflow issue that has resolved itself.

Car is back at dealership this morning and hope to get CEL codes read. thanks for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziff73 View Post
Update:

Dealership didn't get a chance to read codes yesterday. On the way back in this morning, I opened her up on the highway and she felt normal again! Sounds like it was a sensor/airflow issue that has resolved itself.

Car is back at dealership this morning and hope to get CEL codes read. thanks for the responses.
Personally I would just drive the car and see what happens. It may well not fail again until the next immersion
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

prolly water on one of the MAF sensors. you could unscrew em and spray some MAF sensor cleaner on em as a quick fix, reset the code via the OBD2 and see if that helps. I just had this happen and cleared it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Ziff73
Private
Rep

update: clean bill of health. water never entered the engine!

CEL was a result of restricted air flow (prob from filters being wet) which triggered the fault. i had a few misfires in the cylinders due to mixture too rich.

the problem most likely resolved itself as the filters dried out.

thanks everyone for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #8
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Good news!