M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #23
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i think it would be quite interesting to see the difference in oil consumption in regards to hard break in vs soft.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #24
F399
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10, MINI CM S

That's German car's tradition
Mine is 2014 F10. First year is good (topped up once around 10k miles), started from 2nd year, have to do this every few month (3-5k miles).
I think oil consumption also related to weather and engine work.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Pre LCI cars would consume copious amounts of oil. They fixed something so I only have to add a quart after 5k or 6k miles now. My 13 was a quart every 900 miles lol.
I read countless threads, it's hit or miss. Probably how the break-in procedure was done and how the car is driven. When I had a 2012 750Li, I didn't have to add a single qt of oil while others are adding 1qt per 2k miles. I broke the car in gently and avoided engine braking. With my M5, I only topped off 1qt so far but I was doing a lot of engine braking (slowing down the vehicle in low gear, without using the brakes).

Both 2013 and 2015 burn oil, depending who you ask.

Lifting off the throttle at high RPM (engine braking) creates negative pressure in the compression chamber and cause the most oil burn. All newer engines have low friction piston rings, which is the main cause of oil burns. A small percentage of oil also escape the PCV valve, which enters the intake under high accelerations.

The M3/M4 S55 engine makes more power per liter and have no issues with burning oil. I think the S55 uses different piston rings technology and I know they have an oil catch can built-in that recycles blow-by oil. Perhaps the next gen M5 will adapt this technology.
      04-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Pre LCI cars would consume copious amounts of oil. They fixed something so I only have to add a quart after 5k or 6k miles now. My 13 was a quart every 900 miles lol.
I read countless threads, it's hit or miss. Probably how the break-in procedure was done and how the car is driven. When I had a 2012 750Li, I didn't have to add a single qt of oil while others are adding 1qt per 2k miles. I broke the car in gently and avoided engine braking. With my M5, I only topped off 1qt so far but I was doing a lot of engine braking (slowing down the vehicle in low gear, without using the brakes).

Both 2013 and 2015 burn oil, depending who you ask.

Lifting off the throttle at high RPM (engine braking) creates negative pressure in the compression chamber and cause the most oil burn. All newer engines have low friction piston rings, which is the main cause of oil burns. A small percentage of oil also escape the PCV valve, which enters the intake under high accelerations.

The M3/M4 S55 engine makes more power per liter and have no issues with burning oil. I think the S55 uses different piston rings technology and I know they have an oil catch can built-in that recycles blow-by oil. Perhaps the next gen M5 will adapt this technology.
My e92 m3, x5 4.8is, 14 x5 50i and my old 13 burned the most oil. The new x5 isn't that bad but when you drive it hard for a week the measurement shows some consumption. I also have an 08 535xi in Europe that doesn't burn much at all. I have noticed a significantly greater loss from engine braking like you mentioned. It went from 5k miles to about 3k now that I've been driving it mostly in manual mode, but the pre LCI's were terrible. I drove it like a turtle during the break in and it needed 1 quart before the odo reached 1k miles. My friend got a 14 LCI before my LCI arrived and he didn't add oil until 6000 miles after his break in service. I actually thought that having turbos would be better than NA engines as far as the oil consumption from the other cars but it's worse lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #27
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The S55 uses the same piston rings as every N55 which pre-date the S63TU rings by many years. The rings in the S63 are found in the N/S63TU2, and N74B60/B66/B66tu. S63TU does have individual catch cans for each bank.
Appreciate 0