BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Price justification for M6 coupe over M5 sedan?

I'm new to BMW and stretching my budget just to get into an M5, but when I look at the M6 coupe and its specs compared to the M5, I wonder how the $16,000 price increase is deserved? Styling is beautiful, the wheelbase is 4" shorter which should translate into slightly sharper handling, and its weight is a few hundred pounds less from the aluminum doors (plus the carbon composite roof I suppose). But wouldn't a four door car be more difficult to manufacture? There is no moonroof available for the M6, while that is standard on the M5. The performance figures are very close, so where does the increase in price come from? Perhaps just traditionally the 6 series has always been a better performer, or more fully loaded with extras to justify the cost? Now it seems there isn't much to separate it from the M5 other than the coupe configuration, and that just isn't enough for me. Would a coupe badged as an M5 be that much more expensive? Maybe there are hidden advantages to the M6 coupe that I don't know about, if so please tell me about them.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

It's got some better materials on the inside in places, adjustable bolsters on the front seats (unlike the US M5... ) and I believe some other standard equipment -- but mostly you're paying for the "style tax". The same thing happens on the Mercedes side. The CLS Class is essentially an E Class from a feature and even manufacturing standpoint, and it costs Mercedes roughly the same to build either one, but the CLS costs more because the market will pay more for a flashy coupe than a relatively more "pedestrian" sedan.

I personally would prefer the M5 even if the prices were the same because I think that while the M6 has some sporty, aggressive, and cool styling in certain areas, it doesn't have the integrated styling "flow" that works as a whole like the M5 does. I also think the interior of the M5 is far more welcoming, whereas the M6 is clearly designed to be a driver-only car. I sat in an M6 on the passenger side, and that beam cutting down from the dash to the console really makes the passenger feel cut off and even sort of trapped -- and that OCEAN of carbon fiber trim... Not to mention that the rear seats of an M5 are actually usable, whereas the M6 has less rear seat room than even the 3 Series Coupe!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 10-24-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's got some better materials on the inside in places, adjustable bolsters on the front seats (unlike the US M5... ) and I believe some other standard equipment -- but mostly you're paying for the "style tax". The same thing happens on the Mercedes side. The CLS Class is essentially an E Class from a feature and even manufacturing standpoint, and it costs Mercedes roughly the same to build either one, but the CLS costs more because the market will pay more for a flashy coupe than a relatively more "pedestrian" sedan.

I personally would prefer the M5 even if the prices were the same because I think that while the M6 has some sporty, aggressive, and cool styling in certain areas, it doesn't have the integrated styling "flow" that works as a whole the M5 does. I also think the interior of the M5 is far more welcoming, whereas the M6 is clearly designed to a driver-only car. I sat in an M6 on the passenger side, and that beam cutting down from the dash to the console really makes the passenger feel cut off and even sort of trapped -- and that OCEAN of carbon fiber trim... Not to mention that the rear seats of an M5 are actually usable, whereas the M6 has less rear seat room than even the 3 Series Coupe!
Haha yeah, you may have to practice a little yoga to get in/out of the "back seats" of the M6. I think you will be happy with either one. If you plan on riding mainly by yourself or with one other and like the looks of a coupe get the 6. If you want a beast on the road and to the office with passengers I say get the 5. Like Jphughan says you pay for the coupe/conv style tax. Even though on the BMW scale the model numbers are supposed to elate to luxury/quality hence their view of why the M6 costs more than the M5.
      10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

I personally would prefer the M5 even if the prices were the same because I think that while the M6 has some sporty, aggressive, and cool styling in certain areas, it doesn't have the integrated styling "flow" that works as a whole the M5 does. I also think the interior of the M5 is far more welcoming, whereas the M6 is clearly designed to a driver-only car. I sat in an M6 on the passenger side, and that beam cutting down from the dash to the console really makes the passenger feel cut off and even sort of trapped -- and that OCEAN of carbon fiber trim... Not to mention that the rear seats of an M5 are actually usable, whereas the M6 has less rear seat room than even the 3 Series Coupe!
Ha, you beat me to it! I was gonna say that you are really paying that extra $16K for the adjustable side bolsters! I agree I'm still mad about this too!

Also, here's what you get when you buy the M6 that the M5 can't get:

- Carbon Fiber Roof
- Shorter Wheel Base
- About 150lbs lighter
- Carbon Fiber Trim Option
- White Ash Grain Wood Trim Option
- Adjustable Side Bolsters
- LED Headlights
- More sporty Steering Wheel
- San Marino Blue Exterior Color

If you buy an M6 here's what you can't get from the M5:

- Rear Seat Heaters
- Power Close Trunk
- Aluminum Trace Trim Option
- Monte Carlo Blue Exterior Color
- Moonroof

That's about it I think. So you can see the difference where that extra $16K comes in.

Me personally, I don't like the stand alone design of the iDrive screen in the 6 series, but some weird reason I think it looks good in the F30 3 Series. For the M6 I also don't like what they've done with the side grills. That angle that comes down after the side grill on the fender really bothers me also. Makes it looks like a Mustang to me for some reason.

Last edited by RPiM5; 10-24-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Hyperspaced
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

M5 also gets a real back seat and apparently the new nav system.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperspaced View Post
M5 also gets a real back seat and apparently the new nav system.
I think the M6 gets the new Nav System as well.

Last edited by RPiM5; 10-24-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Ha, you beat me to it! I was gonna say that you are really paying that extra $16K for the adjustable side bolsters!
Yes, the pictures of the interior of the M6 front seats show a different shape, looking as if the driver is more supported for side loads than in the M5. My test drive had me sliding slightly in the seat as I took a fairly large radius on ramp to the freeway.

I like the Carbon Fiber roof, but I like the moonroof of the M5 more.
I do like shorter wheelbase, and 4.5" should be noticeable.
According to specs the M6 is 132 pounds lighter.
I like the M5 steering wheel without the aluminum spoke in it.

And I agree that the iDrive screen is mounted more attractively in the M5. Another minor detail is that I prefer the look of the side fender front turn signals on the M5 over the slightly different one on the M6.

I'm coming from a Lexus SC400 and the back seat actually works pretty well, although not the best access, but comfortable and with leg room. The M6 has a 6" longer wheelbase so I'd hope it has designed the same comfort into its rear seat. Finding an actual M6 in a dealership here in MI might be difficult to check on how it fits me physically. As you can tell from my preferences it's going to take a very strong attraction to the style of the coupe to make it worth the extra $16K for me.

Thanks for the replies and info. Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Hyperspaced
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The M6 gets the new Nav System as well.
Huh? No time soon, I understand.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperspaced View Post
Huh? No time soon, I understand.
Or so I "thought"

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Your trying to figure out if a M5 has more metal in its build than an M6? Take it for what it is. The M6 may not be worth 16k more than a simialry equipped M5, but thats what bmw decides to charge for it. More exclusivity? More of a "sports car"? It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
Your trying to figure out if a M5 has more metal in its build than an M6?
No, not more metal, just a more labor and time consuming build for a four door over a two door coupe I'd think. And of course BMW may charge whatever they think the market will bear.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can it be related to the actual number of cars they build? I could imagine building 25,000 M5s is less expensive per car than building 2,500 M6s.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

They have to charge more due to all the depreciation
      10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
Can it be related to the actual number of cars they build? I could imagine building 25,000 M5s is less expensive per car than building 2,500 M6s.
I figured they were both low volume, but if your figures are close and the M6 are that much more limited I'd think that could easily be a cost inflator. Even with the drivetrain being almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think the general idea is that 6 is suppose to be more expensive than 5.
The interior material and design is somewhat better in the 6 than 5. (without talking about *******
That's about it.