BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Talking My very own Personal F10 M5 Life Cycle Impulse

Ok, so first I have to say congrats to Post Member ray101381 and his one off Laguna Seca Blue F10 M5.

My project has been in the works for 2 months now, and it was just total coincidence that ray101381 has picked something close to what I envisioned almost 6 months ago while I was one my long drive across the entire continent of North America.

So anyways, I came up with the idea for this project while I was driving 6,000 miles across America. It turns out that I had a long time to think in over 6,000 miles of driving by myself and I knew one day I would make all of this a reality. A proponent for me to do this project was the fact that my M5 took such a beating from rocks and other natural phenomenon from the cross country drive and the other 24,000 miles of driving I did besides that trip. Also, living in the North Eastern United States is completely different than living in Southern California where it almost never rains. Owning an ALL black car in an environment where it rains what is like 300 days a year got old real quick for me. It became extremely difficult to keep my all black M5 looking clean all the time.

SO, in combination with changing the entire look of the car I also decided to change the entire performance of my M5 as well.

Ultimately, here is what I have done in over 2 months of completing this project:

- Painted RPi GTM Exhaust Tips Matte Black
- Eibach Lowering Springs
- Competition Package Sway Bars
- RPi Ram Air Scoops (Painted them Matte Black as well)
- 2014 LCI F10 M5 Front Grilles (Wrapped Matte Black)
- BMS CEL Can Tool
- BMS Stage 1 Tune
- Arlon Vinyl Riviera Blue Full Wrap of M5

Here's a quick break down and review of each mod since I've installed them.

Eibach Lowering Springs combined with the Comp Pack Sway Bars:

The M5 handles 5x times better now. The stance is amazing, and after the springs settled the M5's ride quality was only ever slightly stiffer than stock. The initial turn in feels so much better, the steering feels tighter and there is absolutely no visible body roll throughout the turns. Absolutely awesome.

Here's my modded drive train setup going from front to back:

1. RPi Ram Air Scoops
2. Charcoal Filter Delete
3. BMS Stage 1 Tune
4. BMS CEL Can Tool
5. RPi Catless Downpipes
6. RPi Full Straightpipe GTM Exhaust (No Resonators and No Mufflers)

Lastly I have been running 100 Octane gas for the last couple of weeks.

On the BMS Tune I am running 3.2psi over stock. The increase performance that I have now experienced is simply nothing short of unreal. I'm spinning my tires from 50mph rolls with DSC OFF. I'm still running stock 343M's with the stock Michelin PSS's. I'll be attending side by side races next weekend and I should be able to kick some serious A$$! LOL! You can try to take a guess at how much power I am making now, but I am guesstimating it has to be around the 750hp range to the crank. I don't know anyone in the world who is running Full Straightpipes combined with a tune programming for 3.2psi over stock, combined with Ram Air Scoops as well. RPi has dyno tested the scoops to make 8-10hp but with the tune it could be more. I haven't had time to dyno test my car yet, but I say what's the point when I'm going to be roll racing actual cars in about a week. Real racing should give an indication of how much power I am actually making.

Riviera Blue Arlon Vinyl Wrap

So the look I was going for was an OEM Factory Paint Job look. As most of you know, that know me, you will know that I am not an aftermarket splitter, diffuser, trunk spoiler, roof spoiler, or wheel guy. I decided to do a gloss black wrap on the door handles to go along with the side view mirror gloss black look and the gloss black that is on the window trim. However, I wanted to keep the front grilles and side grills matte black to match the matte black exhaust tips. I think the look came out fantastic. The installer put the vinyl wrap under a microscope and discovered that it is extremely thick. They said that is has a weave like a paper towel (cross stitched) and it was the hardest wrap job they have ever done because the wrap was very thick and very unstretchable. In fact they had to wrap the roof 3 times, because the vinyl was so hard to work with. They told me that the vinyl I have is 3x thicker than Clear Bra. I know it's hard to believe but I've felt the material myself and it's crazy thick.

Well I just got the car back today from the wrap installer and I haven't been able to do any photoshoots yet with my Nikon camera, but instead have taken rudimentary photo's with my iPhone5. HOWEVER, I agreed to let another person shoot a professional video of the wrap job and they did a fantastic job with the production, which is why I am making this post now. I am still planning on doing my own Nikon photoshoot and a brand new movie in the near future, also with some footage from next weekends side by side races.

So here are some very unprofessional photos and the first of many videos to come!!!

Also included is the original color from Porsche where I got the idea from initially, from their old 911 GT3. Porsche called it Riviera Blue but have also called it Mexico Blue, but it is essentially the same color.

Well enough words, feast your eyes gentleman!!!!!

Here's the link for the shop where I got the wrap done at.

http://www.VehicleWrapping.com

AP Media
http://www.AbsolutePerfectionMedia.com

Official Photoshoot thread here:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965999
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-31-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
WOW, where is this shop that does the wrapping?
      03-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Nice, can't wait for the rest of the pics

Reminds me of yas marina blue too

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Also, notice how the color changes based on the exposure of the shot. When in the sunlight, the car almost seems to glow. I've never seen anything like it.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

One last thing I forgot to mention is if you thought my car was LOUD before it's even louder now because of the tune. I guess more boost from the turbos has resulted in a louder exhaust note. I tested the exhaust loudness with a decibel reader and I went from 109db before to now 113db! With the tune my straightpipes seem way more violent than before. The exhaust cracks louder and the when doing full revving underneath overpasses, it sounds so much more evil. I will be making more new videos to capture the sound in the future!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
m3m3m3
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow! Loved that color on 911s and now on the M5! Very nice!

So did you procure the wrap material and give it to the installer? How were you able to get a custom color on the wrap material?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3m3
Wow! Loved that color on 911s and now on the M5! Very nice!

So did you procure the wrap material and give it to the installer? How were you able to get a custom color on the wrap material?
I just picked the color and then had the installer order it. I found the exact color on the Internet. I chose Arlon cause they provided and exact match to the Porsche GT3 color.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Here's a picture of the box proving it is the exact color from Porsche.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Riviera Blue GT3 RS is my ultimate dream car. Riviera blue M5 damn near comes close! Absolutely stunning!! Did they also wrap the door jambs inside? Also drooling over the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul
Riviera Blue GT3 RS is my ultimate dream car. Riviera blue M5 damn near comes close! Absolutely stunning!! Did they also wrap the door jambs inside? Also drooling over the exhaust
No I didn't have them wrap the inside of the door handles. They are still black but with the gloss black wrap on the door handle chrome, the black on the inside looks so good. It looks really unique and planned that way. I'll get closer shots of the door handles soon. I love it!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Wow very unique color!

Would you happen to have full side shots of your car?
Still deciding between Eibach or H&R springs.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

I know you said you are not an aftermarket wheel guy but I think a set would really finish off your car.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Nice D. It reminds me if a M3 that George Forman bought here in Houston. Kwell color. I've always been skeptical of those piggy tunes but you said you can feel the diff and that's all I need to be convinced

Country run
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Dude, looks amazing!
thought i thought you would never change your triple black to this LOUD colour

can u please make closer shots of your exhaust tips as well, as i am considering doing it and please tell me you gonna murder your rims out, i am against it like you, i am debating myself not to do it, but i just know with no chrome and light colour like mine and yours now satin black rims will look very good

also you were against piggybacks, what happened ? i can see BIG changes

ps i would suggest LED interior lights as well
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Dude, looks amazing!
thought i thought you would never change your triple black to this LOUD colour

can u please make closer shots of your exhaust tips as well, as i am considering doing it and please tell me you gonna murder your rims out, i am against it like you, i am debating myself not to do it, but i just know with no chrome and light colour like mine and yours now satin black rims will look very good

also you were against piggybacks, what happened ? i can see BIG changes

ps i would suggest LED interior lights as well
Haha! Thanks man. But, nope not gonna turn my wheels to Satin Black. There is actually some dude up in Canada running around with a blue M5 wrap similar to mine. But his is a 3M wrap color, Olympic Blue. You can see how lighter it is than Riviera Blue. But anyways, he blacked out his wheels and I don't like that look. I think blacked out wheels are good on White cars or especially Matte White cars.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Here's a picture of that Canadian guys M5. Olympic Blue.

I did a lot of research and thought very hard about my color of choice. I actually don't like Olympic Blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

I did a lot of research and thought very hard about my color of choice. I actually don't like Olympic Blue.
i still think black wheels look good on his car! and its easier to keep them clean, with the amount of break dust our breaks produce, my wheels stay clean for an hour or so...

u need to add some CF as well
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Awesome!
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

i still think black wheels look good on his car! and its easier to keep them clean, with the amount of break dust our breaks produce, my wheels stay clean for an hour or so...

u need to add some CF as well
I agree they are easier to clean.

My thoughts on Carbon Fiber parts is that I feel they are useless. They actually add weight to the car in many cases and very few parts are not aerodynamically tested. Plus I was going for the black blue combo and chrome on the badges. Carbon Fiber would mess up my collage. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Impressive !
Good job
Steering wheel is my favorite upgrade so far!
Did you think about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Looking good, I got to see this in person!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #22
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Such a transformation Dave. What's her new name?
Appreciate 0