M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I'm way too lazy to list how much I disagree with you on most of your reviews.

Since when does the RWD IS350 and the FWD Camry share platforms?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
+1

I'm too lazy to even consider where to start. I'm surprised I wasn't too lazy to read it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post

Since when does the RWD IS350 and the FWD Camry share platforms?
LOL they don't.

There are plenty of ignorant people here who assume they do though. This has happened many times here. It clearly identifies whose opinion is worth noting though. Now you know whose posts to skip over.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
I would reckon his entire post was designed to stir the pot and get a reaction.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
LOL they don't.

There are plenty of ignorant people here who assume they do though. This has happened many times here. It clearly identifies whose opinion is worth noting though. Now you know whose posts to skip over.
No they don't.

The camry shares its platform with the ES and RX series.

the IS does not share the camry platform at all.

I don't think I ever said it did...

Test driving a car is all about what kind of a drive experience you're looking for at that moment. ITs not about living with the car long term. I'm sure you guys have your opinions, and thats fine...that you're too lazy to engage in a debate is another story entirely.

Speaks to the economy I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Does anyone else have any reviews on cars that they have test driven recently?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #29
krazyctong
DVL DOC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90-325i

test drove a 2010 GTR. Car is freakin awesome! When you floor it from a dead stop, its like bungee jumping. A llittle exaggeration there but u get the point. Handling is good too.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

prius, fit, corrola.

best cars ever. faster than gtr IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #31
donsgolf2012
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ferrari F430- It was my dads. that was around 2 years ago when I was 14.
Ferrari 612- Mom's. Slow but it fit my golf bag, 14 as well
S65 AMG- can I say Twin-Turbo V12? I love driving this car, I can be cruising at 55 then floor it and lay some rubber. Some people will say that they could do that as well, but the s65 weights 3 tons.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsgolf2012 View Post
Ferrari F430- It was my dads. that was around 2 years ago when I was 14.
Ferrari 612- Mom's. Slow but it fit my golf bag, 14 as well
S65 AMG- can I say Twin-Turbo V12? I love driving this car, I can be cruising at 55 then floor it and lay some rubber. Some people will say that they could do that as well, but the s65 weights 3 tons.
I don't think those are technically "Test Drives" though, or are they? I guess they could be if you were thinking of buying them? Or what exactly does define a test drive?

Pics of mom and 612 or else....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #33
adrianBMW99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Before settling on my 335i, I drove these:

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - Horrible interior and quality, way to big for a sports car and does not feel fast at all until you rev the crap out of it.

2010 Infiniti G37s - Worst steering feel of almost any car I have ever driven, way too loose and lacking feedback to the driver - this is not what a proper sports car should drive like. Once, again, it felt slow due to the lack of low end torque.

2010 Evo X GSR - Best Handler of the class, amazing aftermarket for parts and tunes, not particularly fast stock (AWD has a lot to do with this) and fantastic steering feel. Sucked for every day practicality.

2010 Benz C350 - Great car overall, a little on the slow side but in terms of the whole package, I thought it was about as close to the 335i as you can get in terms of ride and steering feel.

2010 IS350 - Great car as well; however, not quite a 3 series. This is particularly seen when taking corners fast. In addition, Lexus has some of the worst lease deals ever but reliability is a major plus.

All in all, the 3 series was the best combination of everything I was looking for, there is no sacrifice in anything, be it luxury, power, handling or class, this vehicle outshined the rest by a wide margin I though I could sacrifice luxury for more power; i.e. Mustang instead of BMW or sacrifice practicality for raw performance Evo instead of BMW, I was greatly mistaken!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Before I ordered my 328xi:

A4 2.0T Premium Plus 6MT Quattro:The new A4 is quite refined. Before my e90 I had a 2005.5 6MT Quattro. The new B8 has come a long way in the last few years. Honestly, it was a blast to drive, and felt fast enough for me. The 2.0T has a broad power range – you can feel the 258 ft lb of torque. The Quattro system is excellent. Interior: It’s a nice place to be. The cons: Expensive for what you get. Not as balanced or connected as the 3 series. Lacks the smooth inline 6. Doesn’t lease as well as the “Ultimate Leasing Machine.”

The A4 is more luxurious and elegant, but the e90 has a sportier edge and is more involving.

S4 6MT Quattro:Exhilarating acceleration, turns on rails, addictive exhaust note, Quattro system is one of the best in the business. Cons: Harsh ride on Boston roads. Was out of my budget this time around.

Infiniti G25x Premium:Seemed like a good value. I wanted to see if the performance was in-line with the value proposition. It wasn't. Feels much slower than my e90. Turning was precise and it rode nicely, but did not communicate the way a 3 series does. The interior was luxurious and comfortable. More standard features.

In the end, I was willing to pay more for the invigorating driving experience BMW provides that the G25x does not.

Infiniti G37x Premium: Attractive lease programs. Get-up and GO acceleration in a straight line. Meaty engine. Good steering and comfortable ride. Same interior appointments as its younger brother. More standard features. Cons: Auto Transmission / shifting was not great, lacked the dynamic feel of a 3 series.

Would you trade the 328’s overall involvement for faster acceleration? Personally, I was not willing to.

VW GTI Autobahn PackageLower price point. Excellent value proposition. This car has a nice firm ride, and I really enjoyed the DSG transmission. Steering is very precise. It’s nimble and has pretty good power (relative low weight compared to other cars I tested.) Supportive leather seats. Cons: Just could not do the FWD. Torque steer is too evident. Cheap plastic dash and buttons.

Interested to see what the R brings to the table in a year when it arrives stateside.

Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Limited I initially wanted to test a WRX or 2.5 GT Limited. But no dealers had them on the lot. Lower price point. Excellent value proposition here as well. Standard AWD is a plus. Well-established AWD system. Punchy 265 HP boxer engine felt fairly fast. Get a lot for the money. Cons: The car was a floater - Steering not precise. Shifts from the slush box were not great, cheap interior and driver display system. Not as fun to drive.

In the end it felt like a boring econo-box to me.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #35
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

^^Nice reviews, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #36
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

Ferrari F430-10 laps at the Vegas track. What an amazing car. The sound it makes is intoxicating. Wish it couldve been the Scud but still very fun.

Mercedes SL65 blk series-FAST but the transmission isn't so great. Its still a very heavy car but the torque makes up for that. Not a big fan of the way it looks. Its looks too aftermarket.
      02-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #37
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep

Leuxs IS 250 - Was a loaner car, smooth power delivery, steering was numb, suspension not that smooth with 18 inch tires, seats were too soft, although nicely bolstered, was an upgraded corolla, dont see any reason people would pay 32-38 grand for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep

Are there any other reviews out there?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #39
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianBMW99 View Post
Before settling on my 335i, I drove these:

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - Horrible interior and quality, way to big for a sports car and does not feel fast at all until you rev the crap out of it.

2010 Infiniti G37s - Worst steering feel of almost any car I have ever driven, way too loose and lacking feedback to the driver - this is not what a proper sports car should drive like. Once, again, it felt slow due to the lack of low end torque.

2010 Evo X GSR - Best Handler of the class, amazing aftermarket for parts and tunes, not particularly fast stock (AWD has a lot to do with this) and fantastic steering feel. Sucked for every day practicality.

2010 Benz C350 - Great car overall, a little on the slow side but in terms of the whole package, I thought it was about as close to the 335i as you can get in terms of ride and steering feel.

2010 IS350 - Great car as well; however, not quite a 3 series. This is particularly seen when taking corners fast. In addition, Lexus has some of the worst lease deals ever but reliability is a major plus.

All in all, the 3 series was the best combination of everything I was looking for, there is no sacrifice in anything, be it luxury, power, handling or class, this vehicle outshined the rest by a wide margin I though I could sacrifice luxury for more power; i.e. Mustang instead of BMW or sacrifice practicality for raw performance Evo instead of BMW, I was greatly mistaken!
Something was wrong with the G37 you drove if it had "the worst steering feel of any car" you ever drove. The G37's steering feel is second only to the 3-series in its segment IMO.

And you must have driven a V6 Mustang with the base interior because the upgraded interior is very nice and the 5.0 GT is as fast as an M3....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #40
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

I went to GM's Main Street in Motion recently which had most of their vehicles and some of the competitions.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze- Finally GM does a good compact car. The model they had was with the 1.4 liter Turbo and it powered the vehicle nicely. Steering was nicely weighted. Biggest issue was the manual mode. When you upshift with full throttle, the car lurches and throws you forward and then when it shifts into 2nd gear, it pushes you back into the seat. It's slow to respond and shift. Nothing like the ZF unit in the 335i. For me, not a too big of a factor to ruin the car.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo- I love it. It's very planted and you can tell this thing was designed for the Autobahn. It has nice acceleration over the 2.4 liter model. Although it does suffer from a bit of turbo lag and as the engine spins faster, the turbo gets noisy. I would still buy it though.

2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS- It's a nice vehicle. I would choose the Regal over the LaCrosse because the Regal is more sporty, but this thing isn't bad at all.

2011 Chevrolet Volt- I love it. The engine is not audible inside when under normal conditions. If you step on it, the engine will rev faster to provide more juice and it becomes audible inside the vehicle, but very pleasant. Need $41,000.......

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD/ GMC Sierra Denali HD- Very nice trucks with the Duramax diesel. Pulls nicely and is stable over obstacles. We know already that GM does good trucks......

2011 Ford F-250- That Scorpion diesel is quiet! Quieter then the Duramax. Pulls very well with that 800 lb.-ft of torque. Feels faster than the GM trucks.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500- The Cummins is just a let down after driving the GM's and Ford's powerful diesels. Dodge has finally caught up sort of with the new Cummins with 800 lb.-ft of torque thankfully.

2011 Acura TL- That SH-AWD surely is nice. Keeps the car planted. Though like every Honda, the engine is gutless below 5000 RPM.

2011 Acura TSX- Very nice. But, like I mentioned above, gutless below 5000 RPM.

2011 Ford Explorer- Not a fan of the exterior, but the interior is nice. Though the seating position is very weird. I couldn't get 100% comfortable. Noticed this with others as well. Spent awhile fiddling with the seats. Drove nicely.

2011 Toyota Camry- Meh. Worst car EVER! Rolls, doesn't hold you into the seat, light and vague steering. I feel bad for people who buy Camry's...... Even as an appliance vehicle, I can't stand it.

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS- It's a good vehicle. Powerful and handles decently. Though it does exhibit some body roll. We were limited to two rides total at the performance course, so I ended up regretting driving the Camaro. Not to detract from the Camaro, but I would rather have driven the 'Vette twice.

2011 Chevrolet Corvette GS Coupe- OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fast, handles beautifully, etc. Floor it down the straight the thing is just a rocket. Brakes slow the thing down very well enter the curve and told to floor it to exit the bend, barrel down to the next curve and repeat. Very little body roll and that LS3 just sounds wonderful. I wish I did my two rides in this thing......
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #41
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep

Any more reviews?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #42
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Working for BMW I've driven every product we offer. But for the sake of this comparo I'll concentrate on the cars I drove with the intention to purchase. Ended up with an M coupe (obviously) via a 335i.
Along the way ran into these cars, here's some quick disjointed observations. I can go deeper if asked.

650i 6spd: Don't know what I was thinking, VERY plush with a slight tightness to the handling, solid power. Other than that very underwhelming. does NOT hide its size. Interior has NOT aged well either.

Honda S2000: Manic power band and VERY neutral handling. Awesome at 8/10+...not in traffic. Very hardcore for a daily driver but manageable (I'm also touched in the head). Roadster not ideal for my climate.

Nissan 370Z: Good looking, priced well. Had VERY good road feel and turn-in (indicative of a modern chassis). HORRIBLE interior. Good power but a horrible driving experience...lots of NVH and an engine that begs you NOT to thrash it.

Lotus Elise: Life changing. Best 2nd car in the world. Ruined me for other vehicles. Handling perfect (too perfect..."dangerous" for those with no track or driving school experience). Looks like an exotic, exotic car dealer experience (at least in vancouver, weissach is amazing). Interior is non-existent (didn't care). Tons of NVH (didn't care). Only 135 ft/lbs ( didn't care. moves 1950lbs easily). Deal breaker was servicing (I'm in Edmonton not Vancouver), Rates (straight bank rate) and despite my love I still wanted only one vehicle. I WILL own a Lotus product in the future though no question.

BMW 135i: Pre ordered then canceled after BMW launch drive. Lots of power, modern chassis. Ungainly looks in person. MILES AND MILES of understeer (didn't want to have to re-do suspension and tires on a brand new car). Overall very good but a little "meh" when I was looking for "wow". Excellent DD though.

BMW 335i: VERY GOOD, looks better than the 135i. Overall driving experience a bit better...longer wheel base, less understeer. Got bored after 60 days. N54 has no personality.

BMW M coupe: Ended up with the coupe. Seems to combine everything I'm looking for. Looks exotic, relatively comfortable (for me anyway). Manic personality and motor when required. Overall very happy and in love with it!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #43
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep

have any of you test driven the cadillac cts, mustang, or camry?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #44
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep

Any more reviews? These all have been good, just wanted to know what you others think about some cars you have test driven.
Appreciate 0