BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
notsureyet
Rep
Drives: infiniti

Worth the wait for the F10 M5 LCI?

Hi folks,

So I've decided to get an M5 after much consideration.

Now the question is, should I wait for the LCI? If I order the car in the next week or so, I'll probably get it in March or so. It's a long wait but I'd rather get it with the options/spec I want instead of settling for one on the lot.

I've read that the LCI is due later this year. Do you guys think it will be worth the wait? From that thread, deliveries will only be in September and perhaps may be later in my region.

If it is just a cosmetic change, I'd rather get the car earlier but again...want your thoughts.

P.S. Just to stoke the fire, the new E-class comes out in the middle of next year as well, so if I were to wait until September/October, why not just get a new E63 AMG at the start of its life-cycle?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

I looked into to buying this MY, and ultimately decided to wait for the LCI...

My main reasons:

2nd year of a production run... given fuel pump scare, want every opportunity for any other "kinks" to be worked out.
Adjustable side bolsters -- if my new 3 has them, the 2014 M5 better have them -- it would be even nicer if they were dynamically adjusting like in the Mercs... but we will see.
New LED headlights... from what spy photos show-- and what is already on the 3/6/7 -- the squared off lights look meaner.
new LED taillights
Side mirrors with turn indicators - again, have this in the 335 I bought last week, and like it.
New steering wheel
Ceramic controls? hope this will be allowed at least as an option.
Hoping for new trim... possibly like the CF that currently can only be purchased aftermarket
iDrive upgrade? debatable when they will debut the new touch top iDrive controller.
There also appears to be a nice, subtle bend from the headlights to the kidneys (you can see it in 6 GC, and appears to be in the spy photos).

All of these are speculative.. some firmer than others, but are why i I will wait.

I plan to try to get a july production date for ED in September i guess?
      01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

September ED is a nice time to go. BTW is was the oil pump simple job replace and remove. The pain was the suppy chain to produce enough replacements which ticked a lot of us off, but all smiles now. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Just wait and get the LCI / updated M5.
      01-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Boca
Rep
Drives: Garage Empty

I love my M5 but I already have deposit on 2014 E63. You can't beat all wheel drive!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

My main reasons:

2nd year of a production run... given fuel pump scare, want every opportunity for any other "kinks" to be worked out.
Adjustable side bolsters -- if my new 3 has them, the 2014 M5 better have them -- it would be even nicer if they were dynamically adjusting like in the Mercs... but we will see.
New LED headlights... from what spy photos show-- and what is already on the 3/6/7 -- the squared off lights look meaner.
new LED taillights
Side mirrors with turn indicators - again, have this in the 335 I bought last week, and like it.
New steering wheel
Hoping for new trim... possibly like the CF that currently can only be purchased aftermarket
iDrive upgrade? debatable when they will debut the new touch top iDrive controller.
There also appears to be a nice, subtle bend from the headlights to the kidneys (you can see it in 6 GC, and appears to be in the spy photos).

All of these are speculative.. some firmer than others, but are why i I will wait.

My plan as well. July build, Sept ED for the above reasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Although the M5 has already been pre-tested with the 2012 Model for Europe and the rest of the world, the 2013 still had some kinks. Not all bugs will be ironed out even with the nth time. It is a fallacy that the next generation will have all the bugs sorted out. Only the real world use/experience will get them out in the open. There are latent bugs that just don't show themselves in tests and only when put out in the "real" world do they ever come out. If your excuse to delay is to get all the kinks out, then you will have to wait 'til never. Anyway, the LCI option may be something to wait for. I myself would not have gotten the 2013 M5 if it were not for hints that the 2013 MY might be the last M5 that may come out in manual for the U.S. market as per what the BMW M5 engineering head has strongly hinted.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

I thought MT option was hinted to not continue past F10 and not 2013 MY???
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
I thought MT option was hinted to not continue past F10 and not 2013 MY???
I heard last month that US and Canada will still get it, the R&D was done etc. so might as well keep it. Now that is what I heard - not sure. I bought a 2013 on the assumption that they might discontinue it. Not sure..
      01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I was dead set on waiting got the LCI.... until I made the mistake of test driving. My view is that I'll end up getting an LCI in a a couple of years and it wasnt worth waiting a year for a 2014.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsureyet View Post
Hi folks,

So I've decided to get an M5 after much consideration.

Now the question is, should I wait for the LCI? If I order the car in the next week or so, I'll probably get it in March or so. It's a long wait but I'd rather get it with the options/spec I want instead of settling for one on the lot.

I've read that the LCI is due later this year. Do you guys think it will be worth the wait? From that thread, deliveries will only be in September and perhaps may be later in my region.

If it is just a cosmetic change, I'd rather get the car earlier but again...want your thoughts.

P.S. Just to stoke the fire, the new E-class comes out in the middle of next year as well, so if I were to wait until September/October, why not just get a new E63 AMG at the start of its life-cycle?
let say you will get the LCI by sep, 6 months is a long wait, if all the wait just for cosmetic changes, why not enjoy the car half a year earlier, the existing model will still make you smile everyday, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? enjoy while you can!

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

+1 on the LCI. I was gonna order mine in December for ED delivery in the spring, but then I decided to wait a few more months for the new facelift and fall ED. So I guess I'll see Rohardi and B-1 at the Welt in September assuming all goes according to plan. :-)

f.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberman View Post
let say you will get the LCI by sep, 6 months is a long wait, if all the wait just for cosmetic changes, why not enjoy the car half a year earlier, the existing model will still make you smile everyday, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? enjoy while you can!

my 2 cents
Thats what I did - i cant wait another 6 months. I also cant go do ED in fall and dont want to take delivery in a Northeast Winter. This way Ill get it for summer.
      01-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
My plan as well. July build, Sept ED for the above reasons.
+1 for me. Originally I was going to order now for a spring ED but now will wait and order in June for an early-September ED.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I heard last month that US and Canada will still get it, the R&D was done etc. so might as well keep it. Now that is what I heard - not sure. I bought a 2013 on the assumption that they might discontinue it. Not sure..
This keeps coming up. It's been pretty well established that the F10 will be the last M5 available with a 6MT. But the F10 M5 proabably has another four model years to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

My main reasons:

new LED taillights
New steering wheel

The only things that really interest me are the Side Bolsters and the Tail Lights. I could care less for the headlights. I love the Circular Angel Eyes. Does anyone have any pictures of the differences between the 7-Series Pre-LCI and the LCI Tail Lights. Maybe we can get an idea from those for the F10.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
A few comments:

1) 2014 will be the third year of the production run, not the second year. The 2013 is a second year production car and it is solid. The US was the only country not to sell 2012 M5s, in EMEA, Canada and Asia the 2012 M5 was sold in large numbers.

2) The LCI will not be a huge departure. The biggest upgrade was the iDrive upgrade and we already got that in 2013. The changes are only cosmetic - no new features/tech (with exception of LED lights). BTW the new tail lights look very similar to the current ones. I often can't tell the difference between an F30 and an F10 when approaching from behind. And I think the non LED headlights look better because of the round Halos.

3) If you are buying, resale takes a dip everytime the model year changes. I would not buy a new car in March/April. It just doesn't make sense economically. You are best off buying in September at the start of the model year (July/August production cars). This said, if you are leasing it is irrelevant.

My advice - if you can find a suitable 2013 on a lot do it now. You will have longer to enjoy the car. If you must order one, I would still get a 2013 if you are leasing but wait for a 2014 if you are buying.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

That's sound advice, stealth - as always. I think the LED headlights are a fad and they detract from the overall appearance of the front fascia. The halos are easy to distinguish on the road and properly signify an approaching BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

The LEDs halo too.

All good points I think... I guess I left off 2 that are most important for me..

a) Time of year for my ED purchase and vacation.

b) My move this summer from cramped DC back to a house with a 3 car garage to properly store all my BMW toys!
      01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
That's sound advice, stealth - as always. I think the LED headlights are a fad and they detract from the overall appearance of the front fascia. The halos are easy to distinguish on the road and properly signify an approaching BMW.
I disagree about the headlights. I have them on my X5M and they are awesome. Its the next evolution of headlight technology. It's not worth waiting for just to get them on the LCI, but I'll be looking forward to getting another M5 in a couple of years that has them... they look great and the light is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The only things that really interest me are the Side Bolsters and the Tail Lights. I could care less for the headlights. I love the Circular Angel Eyes. Does anyone have any pictures of the differences between the 7-Series Pre-LCI and the LCI Tail Lights. Maybe we can get an idea from those for the F10.
The Side Bolsters would definitely add to the car's enjoyment. I thought it would not bother me when I got the car but some days you just want to make it feel more sporty and it just starts to bug you. Seriously, our Cayenne's seats have more hug!! I wish there was a way to just simply force the lumbar inward (even if manually) and just keep them that way. Outside of that I think its a great machine and just way too powerful for our streets!
      01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
The Side Bolsters would definitely add to the car's enjoyment. I thought it would not bother me when I got the car but some days you just want to make it feel more sporty and it just starts to bug you. Seriously, our Cayenne's seats have more hug!! I wish there was a way to just simply force the lumbar inward (even if manually) and just keep them that way. Outside of that I think its a great machine and just way too powerful for our streets!
Eat a few more burgers and the seat will fit you just fine!
Appreciate 0