M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #287
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I cant wait for this sat, Carlos Condit is one of my fav fighters and the guy just doesnt have a boring fight period. This has to be his toughest match up so far in his career. Not only cause Hardy has monster power but Condit will sometimes take two, just to give one. Not the best strategy against someone so powerful so I hope he changes up his style for this fight, he does have a good chin though. its def gonna be one of the better fight we've seen in a while. This one will not dissapoint
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #288
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
interesting article about Hardy and his thoughts about the fight. also a good interview w/ Hardy about what he feels is wrong in MMA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...os-Condit.html
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #289
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Condit KO was huge and Bisping really pushed the pace. I enjoyed the card. Bring on 121
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #290
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
yea that KO was great, I like Hardy but I've been a huge Condit fan for a while now. The guy always delivers and is tough as nails. I thought this was by far this toughest opponent and did very well.

can't wait till next week for UFC 121!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #291
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
yea that KO was great, I like Hardy but I've been a huge Condit fan for a while now. The guy always delivers and is tough as nails. I thought this was by far this toughest opponent and did very well.

can't wait till next week for UFC 121!!!
I haven't seen much of Condit so it was a suprise to me to see Hardy go down like that. What impressed me most was how gracefully Hardy handled the loss.

I'm really pumped for the 121 card. Have you watched Primetime? I think this might be Lesnar's last real challenge for a while. Dos Sontos is great but I think Velasquez and Carwin are tougher opponents for him.

Also, I forgot to mention the Congo fight was a bit disappointing. The 2 fighters never really seemed to engage to the point it was an all out slug fest. Congo was relentless with the short-grabbing and it cost him the Win. The result was a bit anti-climatic but that's MMA and we can't always see a KO or tap out. I wonder who's next for him?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #292
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I haven't seen much of Condit so it was a suprise to me to see Hardy go down like that. What impressed me most was how gracefully Hardy handled the loss.

I'm really pumped for the 121 card. Have you watched Primetime? I think this might be Lesnar's last real challenge for a while. Dos Sontos is great but I think Velasquez and Carwin are tougher opponents for him.

Also, I forgot to mention the Congo fight was a bit disappointing. The 2 fighters never really seemed to engage to the point it was an all out slug fest. Congo was relentless with the short-grabbing and it cost him the Win. The result was a bit anti-climatic but that's MMA and we can't always see a KO or tap out. I wonder who's next for him?
I also closely follow the WEC, you'd be surprised on how many good fighters they have.

Dos Santos is tough, I think its a toss up w/ him and Velasquez. Both have sick stand up but I give Dos Santos the edge on the ground and Velasquez on the feet. Either way Brocks stand up need to improve but he sure can take a pounding so he should do ok against both, lets see how he handles their speed. Both fighters are much faster than Carwin just not as powerful

Browne looked like he gassed, he was doing well in the first round then Congo started getting in a groove. I couldnt believe how he wouldnt let go of the shorts, during the 3rd round, I told my buddy that this was def gonna be a draw cause of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #293
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Congo is just a dirty ass fighter.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #294
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Any truth to the Sonan being on steroids when he fought anderson Silva??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #295
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I also closely follow the WEC, you'd be surprised on how many good fighters they have.

Dos Santos is tough, I think its a toss up w/ him and Velasquez. Both have sick stand up but I give Dos Santos the edge on the ground and Velasquez on the feet. Either way Brocks stand up need to improve but he sure can take a pounding so he should do ok against both, lets see how he handles their speed. Both fighters are much faster than Carwin just not as powerful

Browne looked like he gassed, he was doing well in the first round then Congo started getting in a groove. I couldnt believe how he wouldnt let go of the shorts, during the 3rd round, I told my buddy that this was def gonna be a draw cause of it.
That's interesting you say that as I thought it was the other way around. I would have given Velasquez the edge on the ground because of his superior wrestling backround. I think Dos Santos looks more comfortable on his feet and it would be an even matchup. Hopefully after this weekend we'll have some more answers, I expect to see a war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Congo is just a dirty ass fighter.
Lol like Tito said, "if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
Any truth to the Sonan being on steroids when he fought anderson Silva??
I don't think anyone has heard a peep from Sonnen which is unusual because his mouth is always open and says almost anything to be on camera. Dana says there is a lot more to the story but whatever excuse he comes up, and I know it will be something good, he tested positive to PED and that is that, end of story if you ask me. I think his 15 minutes are up.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #296
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Condit looked tough tonight, and Pyle did a good job against the youngster.
      10-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #297
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
That's interesting you say that as I thought it was the other way around. I would have given Velasquez the edge on the ground because of his superior wrestling backround. I think Dos Santos looks more comfortable on his feet and it would be an even matchup. Hopefully after this weekend we'll have some more answers, I expect to see a war!
I think Velasquez has the edge on the feet cause he looks more polished, at least Dos Anots looked sloopy against Nelson. But I give Dos Antos the edge on the ground cause he has pretty good BJJ but you are right about Velasquez wrestling, its def a toss up btwn the two.

this weekend will be great, but not looking forward to the lack luster cards that follow. Hopefully I'll be surprised
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #298
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

[QUOTE=BMW86;8174766]I haven't seen much of Condit so it was a suprise to me to see Hardy go down like that. What impressed me most was how gracefully Hardy handled the loss.
QUOTE]

HAHA.. "I got punched in the face"

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #299
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
^lol yea, best answer to what when wrong in a fight EVER
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #300
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
well it all goes back to the saying "you have a plan... you stick to it..... till you get punched on the face!"

Very true, anyone can get knocked out if they get caught, anyone! It is just a matter of not getting caught!
Hardy is a tough guy with a massive heart!
      10-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #301
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Lol Hardy is all class. My level of respect for him went up after that. He told it exactly how it was.

This is pretty funny too for those who haven't seen it. Griffin = Respect

Last edited by BMW86; 10-19-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #302
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Forrest just reaks of awesome, that dude is way too funny to be a fighter. I do hope to see him against Bones Jones, would be an entertaining fight to say the least
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #303
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Definitely some great fights over the weekend! That KO by Condit vs Hardy was great, both throwing the same punch at the same time. I was not expecting a KO like that, not from Condit. I almost couldn't believe it. But then when watching the replay, you could see how much power was in that swing and it was right on the button.

But that fight just supports the theory that unless your name is Anderson Silva, striking is just not a reliable way to win fights. You can be a great striker, but anyone can be knocked out at any time. Sometimes the better fighter even gets KO'd. It is just a matter of time.

I think going the GSP route (and I suspect Reshad Evans is doing this too after watching his fight with Rampage) is going to keep you champion for a much longer time-frame. The strategy is avoid the striking game as much as possible and work the wrestling, clinch, and then BJJ game. Just take the freak KO element out of the game as much as possible. GSP I think learned this with Matt Serra, Evans with Machida.

You can really see this progress with GSP. He used to strike a lot, but now he does very little striking from the feet. He does just enough to make the other fighter respect it, then moves in for the takedown or clinch. But you may have noticed that has ended up in a lot of 5 round fights. Why? Because other top level fighters are good enough to avoid being ground and pounded into a TKO (not to mention the refs are much more generous in championship fights). So wrestling alone is not going to finish the fight at that level, you gotta have the submission game and I think you can really see GSP developing this. When GSP fought Hardy you could really see GSP's progression in BJJ. That is the next step in his evolution I think. I mean he will ground and pound if he can, but ultimately against guys like Fitch, Alves, Hardy, etc. that is not going to finish the fight. He will have to built his BJJ up to his wrestling level. Once he does that, I don't see anyone beating him for years (short of the freak KO, but obviously he trying to avoid the striking game from the feet as much as possible due to that)

I think outstanding wrestling combined with very strong BJJ and submissions is the way to keep that belt around your waist for a long period of time. Why take a chance at the striking game on the feet? You don't get beat in BJJ because the other guy got lucky. You get submitted because YOU messed up. There is no luck about it.
      10-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #304
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Oh and Lesnar is going to CRUSH Cain, even Cain knows that. Sucks too, because I like Cain.

Hopefully he can use his speed and from watching Randy's fight with Lesnar we know it is POSSIBLE to be smaller and grapple with Lesnar. But, Cain's wrestling is not like Randy's so I just don't see that happening. And it would take stand-up and elusiveness like Anderson Silva to effectively strike against Lesnar. Brock just hits waaaaaaay too hard to stand with. You punch him 10 times and he hits you once, and you still come out on the short end of the stick... And you are only going to be able to strike for a limited time before he gets you against the cage.

So wrestling is out, striking is probably out and that only leaves ground. If Frank couldn't handle Brock on the ground, how is Cain going to? Can anyone handle Brock on the ground? I think the fight is pretty much over for anyone if Brock gets you down and establishes some control.

Should be a fun fight to watch though, Brock hasn't had a boring one yet!
      10-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #305
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Oh and Lesnar is going to CRUSH Cain, even Cain knows that. Sucks too, because I like Cain.

Hopefully he can use his speed and from watching Randy's fight with Lesnar we know it is POSSIBLE to be smaller and grapple with Lesnar. But, Cain's wrestling is not like Randy's so I just don't see that happening. And it would take stand-up and elusiveness like Anderson Silva to effectively strike against Lesnar. Brock just hits waaaaaaay too hard to stand with. You punch him 10 times and he hits you once, and you still come out on the short end of the stick... And you are only going to be able to strike for a limited time before he gets you against the cage.

So wrestling is out, striking is probably out and that only leaves ground. If Frank couldn't handle Brock on the ground, how is Cain going to? Can anyone handle Brock on the ground? I think the fight is pretty much over for anyone if Brock gets you down and establishes some control.

Should be a fun fight to watch though, Brock hasn't had a boring one yet!
It should be a great fight, but I think Cain is gonna beat Brock. I agree that its gonna be tough if Cain gets stuck on the bottom, its gonna be hard for him to escape without taking too much damage. Cain definitely has the wrestling capabilities to out wrestle Brock, but I dont know if he will choose to do that for fear of getting caught on bottom.

I dont really know why you say Cains wrestling isnt as good as Randy's cause I think if anything its better. Sure Randy was a great wrestler in his day, but he is 47 now and its just not the same. Also Brock was a NCAA champ but I would still take Cain in a wrestling match over Brock at this point.

If the fight stays standing, I dont think Cain is gonna have the power like Carwin to really rock Brock with one or 2 shots. But if he keeps moving and is able to wear Brock down, then it will be a completely different fight.

After talking about it, maybe Ill throw some money down on Cain haha... either way I dont think this fight will disappoint.

2007 AW 328xi
SOLD
19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's / H & R Sport Springs / OEM Aero Lip & Rear Bumper / RD-V2 Angel Eyes / AFE CAI / BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #306
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlee103 View Post
It should be a great fight, but I think Cain is gonna beat Brock. I agree that its gonna be tough if Cain gets stuck on the bottom, its gonna be hard for him to escape without taking too much damage. Cain definitely has the wrestling capabilities to out wrestle Brock, but I dont know if he will choose to do that for fear of getting caught on bottom.

I dont really know why you say Cains wrestling isnt as good as Randy's cause I think if anything its better. Sure Randy was a great wrestler in his day, but he is 47 now and its just not the same. Also Brock was a NCAA champ but I would still take Cain in a wrestling match over Brock at this point.

If the fight stays standing, I dont think Cain is gonna have the power like Carwin to really rock Brock with one or 2 shots. But if he keeps moving and is able to wear Brock down, then it will be a completely different fight.

After talking about it, maybe Ill throw some money down on Cain haha... either way I dont think this fight will disappoint.
Oh for sure it will be a great fight! As far as Cain being able to move around and strike I just don't know... Brock is a pretty fast guy and heavyweights don't seem to pull that kind of thing off as well as smaller guys. Cain does have a good gas tank though, if he goes 110% non-stop and manages to avoid having to test Brock's strength maybe he can win a decision or something? But even Pat Barry says he gets crushed by Brock's power hits, even when blocking them and his stand up is outstanding... Normally I would think trying to slow Brock with lot of leg kicks would be a good idea, but that is only if you don't mind the occasional take-down. And a take-down is something Cain just cannot afford to have happen.

Either way, good luck to Cain, he is going to need it! You definitely calling for the upset on this one!
      10-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #307
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I pick Cain via KO.
      10-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #308
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I agree with all your comments Nautik. I've thrown a fair bit of cash down on Lesnar, hopefully it will pay for my FMIC, iCarbon Hood and a few other bits hehe Lesnar is free cash, there is no denying it. That guy is a freak of nature with phenomenal athletic ability. You want to know what Cain is really thinking? Replay the Lesnar v Carwin fight and afterwards they show Cain sweating bullets. I completely agree that there is always the punchers chance in MMA, and this is x100 in the Heavyweight division but Lesnar has proven his chin is made of stone. Really, if Carwin can't knock out Lesnar I doubt Velasquez will. If it does happen, he will have to land a clean shot right on the button.

What I do see happening at some point in the fight is Lesnar taking down Velasquez. I don't care if he lands a single punch in that position or not, if you have a 280+ pound mammoth forcing his weight on you that takes a lot out of your gas tank and can destroy your mentality in the fight. When Lesnar took Carwin down he was gassed but still made no effort to get up. It's probably not worth expending the energy to even try to get to your feet and Lesnar's wrestling credentials speak for themselves. He was probably going to ride out that round.

Anyways, there is a huge payout if Lesnar wins on points. I'm not sure if I should do it or not. I'm confident he will win but after seeing the Carwin fight I can see that Lesnar is evolving his MMA game. He is more than capable of being a finisher. I have respect for Velasquez but compared to his last few fights he's definitely been thrown in the deep end now. Both are capable of winning but my head really tells me this is Lesnar's fight. I really can't wait for this fight card, it's going to be EPIC!
Appreciate 0