Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Oil Catch Cans

I know there are no specific oil catch cans for M5, but can anyone recommend quality universal can other than ECS or Turner MotorSport. I’m not necessarily looking for expansive one, either. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Mishimoto is decent
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

like wise. also looking for a decent catch can setup that plugs and play with our cars. if anyone has pics of their set up please share!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for MIshimoto

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:59 AM   #5
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

I am resurrecting this because I have a local and very well known developer and manufacturer of all sorts of wonderful accessories for many brands, including BMW, but mostly VAG. They manufactur for ECS for example.

We have looked into a number of parts, the usual suspects, but I was particularly interested in the oil catch can. This in particular due to the tight tolerances within our engines, so keeping the oil at it’s best quality for longest seems logical.

They have made enquiries with all their Asian, European and American markets, and they have currently concluded that there simply isn’t the interest in, at the very least, this type of part.

Surely most users on this forum believe this to be one of the most beneficial upgrades? Do you agree?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Bostons_Finest_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 2008 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980 View Post
I am resurrecting this because I have a local and very well known developer and manufacturer of all sorts of wonderful accessories for many brands, including BMW, but mostly VAG. They manufactur for ECS for example.

We have looked into a number of parts, the usual suspects, but I was particularly interested in the oil catch can. This in particular due to the tight tolerances within our engines, so keeping the oil at it's best quality for longest seems logical.

They have made enquiries with all their Asian, European and American markets, and they have currently concluded that there simply isn't the interest in, at the very least, this type of part.

Surely most users on this forum believe this to be one of the most beneficial upgrades? Do you agree?
I would be interested if your trying to get a group buy!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980 View Post

We have looked into a number of parts, the usual suspects, but I was particularly interested in the oil catch can. This in particular due to the tight tolerances within our engines, so keeping the oil at it’s best quality for longest seems logical.

They have made enquiries with all their Asian, European and American markets, and they have currently concluded that there simply isn’t the interest in, at the very least, this type of part.

I for one would buy this kit today.

I’ve done some research, and have found that ASR/Krotos are redesigning their original air intake/oil catch can system from metal to carbon, and would be available through their dealer partners in about a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Stur32
Rep
Drives: M5 cp

I would also like to buy one ASAP
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stur32 View Post
I would also like to buy one ASAP
I will let you know when ASR releases this kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

If there is a catch can kit tailored for this car I would buy it for sure.

Oil in the intake was also a problem in my LS3 6.2L V8 Corvette, and it was worth going through a few cans to find a good setup.

The problem was that most were crap in some aspect. One was good but had no mounting system for my later LS3 engine, but also had a ball bearing valve system that rattled like junk. The one I settled on fit nicely under the covers, worked well, but was made from threaded parts that would loosen up and make a little mess or start coming apart when you are emptying it.

Good design and good execution are key, but hard to get.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
If there is a catch can kit tailored for this car I would buy it for sure.

Oil in the intake was also a problem in my LS3 6.2L V8 Corvette, and it was worth going through a few cans to find a good setup.

The problem was that most were crap in some aspect. One was good but had no mounting system for my later LS3 engine, but also had a ball bearing valve system that rattled like junk. The one I settled on fit nicely under the covers, worked well, but was made from threaded parts that would loosen up and make a little mess or start coming apart when you are emptying it.

Good design and good execution are key, but hard to get.
ASR initially designed it with aluminum tubing, but I guess carbon is probably better for many reasons than aluminum. I’ll keep you posted once this kit is out.
Appreciate 0