M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

08-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Soooo Got Tboned in the R8... Ferrari FF?

As the title states.... Kid ran a stop sign or did a rolling stop which is what witnesses say and pummeled my R8...

Was NOT a fun car to get hit in, let me tell you... Anyway while insurance sorts itself out and figures out what the repairs on the car looks like, I'm looking at FF (yes I'm aware its an older guys car/ mom car). I'm getting horrid responses on its looks from mutual friends... But to get the Berlinetta engine, with AWD, and DCT on a budget sounds good to me lol

Last edited by M5Rlz; 06-05-2022 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Glad you are ok.

Do a search here; I had an FF for 1 year. One of worst financial buys of my life because the value of the car just died AFTER I bought it. With that being said, the car drove excellent. The chassis is just planted and it feels very neutral for a front engine car. The steering is practically perfect with a very mild (but needed) understeer in heavy turns. I will say that the interior is bit plasticky in feel and the electronics belong in a car from last decade. Further, the DCT is brilliant but in Auto Mode (when in traffic) its not very intuitive and will not react the way it does in manual mode. In contrast the DCT in my GTS is about as intuitive as it gets in Auto Mode (D with Sports +).

Its a good buy now but you will probably still take a bath once you get it as the new gen is out and the car will be out of warranty. I had one issue with it- a busted water pump but that was covered under warranty. I did add a Capristo exhaust for more sound and the car did last a year in my stable until I moved on to the Bentley GT3R.

The looks are definitely polarizing to say the least and some enjoy it but others really never understood the 4 seater Ferrari.

Lowered with Novitec springs and some Aristo wheels (OEM diameters)

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      08-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Glad you are ok.

Do a search here; I had an FF for 1 year. One of worst financial buys of my life because the value of the car just died AFTER I bought it. With that being said, the car drove excellent. The chassis is just planted and it feels very neutral for a front engine car. The steering is practically perfect with a very mild (but needed) understeer in heavy turns. I will say that the interior is bit plasticky in feel and the electronics belong in a car from last decade. Further, the DCT is brilliant but in Auto Mode (when in traffic) its not very intuitive and will not react the way it does in manual mode. In contrast the DCT in my GTS is about as intuitive as it gets in Auto Mode (D with Sports +).
Thanks bro, yeah it was worse in a parking lot at like 5-15mph than my 335i felt at 65 getting hit by a girl 5 years ago lol, That said it kept me safe everything's good a few days later.

I remembered you'd had one, and maybe one other member, I don't really mind the looks. I did get a kick out of the navigation headhunt that appears to be like a 2012 era jeep head unit lol.

I figured its a good car to load miles on since kinda like the california they're the ugly duckling/ least desirable of the bunch.

Budget Berlinetta lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Thanks bro, yeah it was worse in a parking lot at like 5-15mph than my 335i felt at 65 getting hit by a girl 5 years ago lol, That said it kept me safe everything's good a few days later.

I remembered you'd had one, and maybe one other member, I don't really mind the looks. I did get a kick out of the navigation headhunt that appears to be like a 2012 era jeep head unit lol.

I figured its a good car to load miles on since kinda like the california they're the ugly duckling/ least desirable of the bunch.

Budget Berlinetta lol
Fuck my car was a 339k msrp car and I bought it for 209k 2 years later (2012 car bought it in 2014) and I got it at wholesale levels. The next thing I know the car is worth south of 180k even to my boys who take care of me. LOL. I was all in with it so I just kept and finally got a buyer to give me what I wanted and thats why it probably lasted the full year.

The last auction sales on the 2012 was back in March on cars with 6k and 9k miles and both garnered 147k.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fuck my car was a 339k msrp car and I bought it for 209k 2 years later (2012 car bought it in 2014) and I got it at wholesale levels. The next thing I know the car is worth south of 180k even to my boys who take care of me. LOL. I was all in with it so I just kept and finally got a buyer to give me what I wanted and thats why it probably lasted the full year.

The last auction sales on the 2012 was back in March on cars with 6k and 9k miles and both garnered 147k.
Yeah I saw those, my dealer has them listed in the 160s but I think 140s/150s is more reasonable.

I figure I could load one up with miles and take a 10-30k bath max which for a Ferrari motor/ experience. Although who knows whats coming down the pike I thought I properly researched M5s lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I saw those, my dealer has them listed in the 160s but I think 140s/150s is more reasonable.

I figure I could load one up with miles and take a 10-30k bath max which for a Ferrari motor/ experience. Although who knows whats coming down the pike I thought I properly researched M5s lol
Huh, a dealer by you bought both of those cars?????
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

You're not counting cost of repairs. Repairs won't be cheap if something fails. Also its possible you may have a major service due given the age of these cars. They can range up to 7k.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Huh, a dealer by you bought both of those cars?????
Nooo my r8 is in the very early process of getting looked at, I think my shop wants to check the aluminum frame to make sure it didn't get negatively impacted. I heard once thats hurt it changes the game for repairing an R8.

I just meant they have a few FF's in stock at Ferrari of Washington, so I was in there looking at them. Doing my due diligence till everything with the r8 is sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You're not counting cost of repairs. Repairs won't be cheap if something fails. Also its possible you may have a major service due given the age of these cars. They can range up to 7k.
My understanding was starting in 2013 Ferrari added a very long warranty to their vehicles. But I'm aware it would get nuts, the R8 stock is about as bad as maintaining the GTR at 1000+whp. Maybe Vic can chime in not that he's ever seen the end of a warranty lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My understanding was starting in 2013 Ferrari added a very long warranty to their vehicles. But I'm aware it would get nuts, the R8 stock is about as bad as maintaining the GTR at 1000+whp. Maybe Vic can chime in not that he's ever seen the end of a warranty lol
The only thing that was added in 2012 models and beyond is extended maintenance--- no way is there a long term warranty. The Ferrari new car warranty is 36 months and unlimited miles. And service is but once a year for most users so you will not gain a thing by this.

Hell if Ferrari had an OEM warranty for 7 years - imagine how many higher mile cars would be out there. Its just a not a high mile car.

On my FF- the 3 year warranty was about to expire and I bought, at dealer cost, a 2 year add on warranty for 6k. Its just not a cheap car to operate or drive a lot of miles on.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that was added in 2012 models and beyond is extended maintenance--- no way is there a long term warranty. The Ferrari new car warranty is 36 months and unlimited miles. And service is but once a year for most users so you will not gain a thing by this.

Hell if Ferrari had an OEM warranty for 7 years - imagine how many higher mile cars would be out there. Its just a not a high mile car.

On my FF- the 3 year warranty was about to expire and I bought, at dealer cost, a 2 year add on warranty for 6k. Its just not a cheap car to operate or drive a lot of miles on.
Ahhh I see. I'd read a Business insider article about an overhaul and hadn't heard much actual fact to it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ferra...arranty-2014-4

Quote:
New Ferrari owners can now rest easy that it will be a full 12 years before they have to worry about paying out of pocket to fix anything that goes awry with their lovely cars.

Starting May 1, the high-end automaker will implement a two-part warranty program.

Owners can add two years to the standard three-year manufacturer's warranty, or they can opt for a "new power warranty," renewable every year until 12 years after the car's registration.

All new Ferraris come with a free, seven-year Genuine Maintenance program.

While this is nice news for wealthy buyers, Ferrari admits something of an ulterior motive in its press release: That maintenance program is designed to keep cars running well, and to "maintain their value over time.

That's a point Ferrari has been harping on lately. After building 7,318 cars in 2012, it announced in 2013 it was cutting production. “My focus this year and in the years to come is not to grow volume but to increase the exclusivity of Ferrari,” chairman Luca di Montezemolo told Automotive News. “This protects our margins and residual values for our customers.”

Fewer cars means each one sold is more valuable. A good warranty program keeps those values high over time.

The plan has worked, so far. Revenues climbed 5% and trading profits were up 8.3% in 2013, "unprecedented figures" that Ferrari says put its net financial position "at an all-time high." The numbers were good enough to net every Ferrari employee a record-high €4,096 ($5,650) bonus.
I don't mind doing maintenance even expensive maintenance just don't wanna worry about driving it, one in our GTR group has 60k+ miles on his 2013 458 he got new running strong
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh I see. I'd read a Business insider article about an overhaul and hadn't heard much actual fact to it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ferra...arranty-2014-4

I don't mind doing maintenance even expensive maintenance just don't wanna worry about driving it, one in our GTR group has 60k+ miles on his 2013 458 he got new running strong
Ummm that warranty is not for free--- you are just, as an owner, allowed to add on more time to your OEM warranty and it will cost you. Its cost prohibitive to say the least. I would never own a Ferrari outside of any warranty and I never did.

Edit: It would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket vehicle service agreement for a reputable source.

Last edited by Vic55; 08-22-2017 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      08-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ummm that warranty is not for free--- you are just, as an owner, allowed to add on more time to your OEM warranty and it will cost you. Its cost prohibitive to say the least. I would never own a Ferrari outside of any warranty and I never did.

Edit: It would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket vehicle service agreement for a reputable source.
Gotcha. Such limited info on it, but thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:

They also offer a power train warranty after that 2 year additional one expires and it's about $4500/yr. I see you have already found the longer version of that. I think previously it was only allowed to be added up until 7 years.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      09-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your accident. You can kiss resale value good bye. When that happened to my 9 month old 2010 535i, it ended up shaving $10k off the trade in when I bought the M5. In addition, of course the road debris repairs on my Porsche cost me about $15k in trade in. I still did OK when I got rid of it but it was worth more except for the Carfax. Your story will be the same or worse since it appears you have CF damage as well. That will just increase the cost of the repair which decreases the resale value proportionately, crazy since it gets fixed like new but that is the way it works.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. You can kiss resale value good bye. When that happened to my 9 month old 2010 535i, it ended up shaving $10k off the trade in when I bought the M5. In addition, of course the road debris repairs on my Porsche cost me about $15k in trade in. I still did OK when I got rid of it but it was worth more except for the Carfax. Your story will be the same or worse since it appears you have CF damage as well. That will just increase the cost of the repair which decreases the resale value proportionately, crazy since it gets fixed like new but that is the way it works.
Thanks bud, you know how these things go, just roll with it. I stole it basically at wholesale, so while its gonna hurt the resale net net impact to me shouldn't be too bad.

Plus I think I'll have a 10-15k depreciation check from insurance to gamble on biotech stocks so hopefully do something with that extra cash. I honestly just wanted the car repaired to normal and it running okay, finding out they'd cover lost value was a bonus. I think you're about right 10-15k of lost value. I'd probably be crying if I'd bought a low milage one and not only combining it with my milage stacking habits, but then an accident .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
They also offer a power train warranty after that 2 year additional one expires and it's about $4500/yr. I see you have already found the longer version of that. I think previously it was only allowed to be added up until 7 years.
You know me I've already put about 12k miles on the R8 whatever I get Mp4-12c, 570s, FF, 458 its gonna get miles STACKKKKED on it lol, just what I love doing lol so the warranty was a big deal but I appreciate you and Vic explaining it a little more in-depth since there really was limited knowledge and the salesmen kept pushing me with its the best warranty around.

There is a white Mp4-12c higher milage, 1 year warranty from Mclaren Philly for 130k I really want it being white lol. I'm just waiting on this thing to settle so hopefully its still there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

Hmmm, I wasn't looking for an FF but I'm looking to sell my M6. I drive by Ferrari of Washington twice a day and might need to stop by and see how interested they are in moving one of those cars.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      09-06-2017, 02:45 AM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincvert View Post
Hmmm, I wasn't looking for an FF but I'm looking to sell my M6. I drive by Ferrari of Washington twice a day and might need to stop by and see how interested they are in moving one of those cars.
they have a few if I liked the darker red color it already has laser jammers and clear bra defiantly go check it out
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #18
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Thanks bud, you know how these things go, just roll with it. I stole it basically at wholesale, so while its gonna hurt the resale net net impact to me shouldn't be too bad.

Plus I think I'll have a 10-15k depreciation check from insurance to gamble on biotech stocks so hopefully do something with that extra cash. I honestly just wanted the car repaired to normal and it running okay, finding out they'd cover lost value was a bonus. I think you're about right 10-15k of lost value. I'd probably be crying if I'd bought a low milage one and not only combining it with my milage stacking habits, but then an accident .

You know me I've already put about 12k miles on the R8 whatever I get Mp4-12c, 570s, FF, 458 its gonna get miles STACKKKKED on it lol, just what I love doing lol so the warranty was a big deal but I appreciate you and Vic explaining it a little more in-depth since there really was limited knowledge and the salesmen kept pushing me with its the best warranty around.

There is a white Mp4-12c higher milage, 1 year warranty from Mclaren Philly for 130k I really want it being white lol. I'm just waiting on this thing to settle so hopefully its still there.

Skip the 12C. Grab a 570s! Solid one with 10k miles on eBay Motors from a dealer right now at $170k? Lowball at $150 and work up!
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50