M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
bandido
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Singapore Grey

Can Dinan be Swapped

With all of this interesting performance data from Dinan, I am noticing that there is conversation about it being VIN specific. That being said, can this $3000 piggy back computer be transferred or sold to another vehicle? My vehicle is leased and apparently that is not an issue, but when my lease is up, can I remove the tuning module and sell it?

I am sure that if BMS ever came up with a JB4 for our cars, that it would be easily transferred like many of their other devices...

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido View Post
With all of this interesting performance data from Dinan, I am noticing that there is conversation about it being VIN specific. That being said, can this $3000 piggy back computer be transferred or sold to another vehicle? My vehicle is leased and apparently that is not an issue, but when my lease is up, can I remove the tuning module and sell it?

I am sure that if BMS ever came up with a JB4 for our cars, that it would be easily transferred like many of their other devices...

Thanks!!
It's a loaded question but the the short answer is, yes it is possible although probably not exactly how you are thinking of it. I will explain...

There are 3 components to the DINANTRONICS System; an ECU, a harness, and the software itself. The ECU technically is generic and is used on all applications. There are 4 different harness types (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, M3/M4, and 8 cylinder) so if you were selling to another M5 user this wouldn't be an issue but it you were to sell to an M4 user then a different harness would need to be purchased. The software is the part that is VIN specific (for warranty purposes / tracking) and is loaded onto the ECU. So that leaves 3 possible scenarios that could happen if you were to try and sell your M5 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner.

1.) Sell to another M5 user, no modifications: Everything would technically work although the VIN wouldn't match so there would be no warranty on the new vehicle you sold to.
2.) Sell to another M5 user but they want warranty: The ECU would need to be scrubbed/erased and the software element would need to be repurchased in order to get the warranty and tie the software to the appropriate VIN. The harness is re-used.
3.) Sell to some other user with a completely different model of car: ECU while technically still good would need to be scrubbed/erased and the new owner would possibly need to buy a new harness (depending on application) and buy software (and thus the warranty) since it would be a different tune altogether then the M5.

So while it isn't cut and dry it definitely is possible. Hope that answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido View Post

Thanks!!
It's a loaded question but the the short answer is, yes it is possible although probably not exactly how you are thinking of it. I will explain...

There are 3 components to the DINANTRONICS System; an ECU, a harness, and the software itself. The ECU technically is generic and is used on all applications. There are 4 different harness types (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, M3/M4, and 8 cylinder) so if you were selling to another M5 user this wouldn't be an issue but it you were to sell to an M4 user then a different harness would need to be purchased. The software is the part that is VIN specific (for warranty purposes / tracking) and is loaded onto the ECU. So that leaves 3 possible scenarios that could happen if you were to try and sell your M5 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner.

1.) Sell to another M5 user, no modifications: Everything would technically work although the VIN wouldn't match so there would be no warranty on the new vehicle you sold to.
2.) Sell to another M5 user but they want warranty: The ECU would need to be scrubbed/erased and the software element would need to be repurchased in order to get the warranty and tie the software to the appropriate VIN. The harness is re-used.
3.) Sell to some other user with a completely different model of car: ECU while technically still good would need to be scrubbed/erased and the new owner would possibly need to buy a new harness (depending on application) and buy software (and thus the warranty) since it would be a different tune altogether then the M5.

So while it isn't cut and dry it definitely is possible. Hope that answers your question.
Is there a price reduction for repurchasing only the software for the new VIN on not needing a new harness?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90076 View Post
Is there a price reduction for repurchasing only the software for the new VIN on not needing a new harness?
Yes. Each part has a cost associated to it so if you only needed software you wouldn't be paying the full retail list price. The breakdown of pricing varies heavily depending on application and piece so you would want to contact our sales department for exact pricing in each case.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Yes. Each part has a cost associated to it so if you only needed software you wouldn't be paying the full retail list price. The breakdown of pricing varies heavily depending on application and piece so you would want to contact our sales department for exact pricing in each case.
Can you break this cost down? Let's say I was not going to sell the device, software or harness, but rather transfer it to a new car that I'm getting. Same make, but different generation or different model. (i.e. M5 to M6 or M4). Thx
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0