M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #111
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan11389 View Post
Love the idea, but adding an M logo to the beginning of the model designation? Seems out of touch with the audience. It's something we've all made fun of people for doing for decades.
While I don't condone people who stick an M badge on their non M car, BMW has used model designations such as these before. There was an E28 model 5 series that was badged as a M535i from the factory. The original E24 M6 was also called the M635CSi in Europe initially.
      01-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #112
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Have a few questions.
First. Why are they doing it in AWD? Will the M-Performance cars that make it here be available in RWD?

Second. Why did they feel the need to create a whole new line. Couldn't they have just have just added an "s" or "is" to the end of the number like they have always done?
My guess is that these models are intended for buyers in the European market who want the handling of an M5 (suspension/chassis) but also want the economy and great all-around drivability of a diesel. AWD also helps put the power to the ground and makes these cars year-round all weather machines.

The reason these cars aren't just badged "is" is that it isn't a brand like ///M is. The "is" designation originally signified a car with the sport package on older models. It appears BMW wants to adopt a similar branding strategy like that of Audi, with their A, S, and RS models.
      01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #113
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I think we are going to be seeing lots of fake M135i, M335i, M535i... on the road once they are released in the US, it will be easier than ever for "posers" to fool people since BMW will be doing it themselves! In the past it was easy for someone to spot a fake, most of the time just the bumpers and pipes would let you know what it really was.

I understand the M Sport package and have it myself on the X3 (mainly because I love the look of the bumpers and black trim plus there is no X3M yet), BUT I wouldn't want the back of my car to say "M" in any fashion, even with a performance boost I wouldn't want it to say M, unless it was specifically designed to be an M car. I am pretty sure on all Mercedes AMG "packages" they don't say AMG on the rear badges, same with Audi and the RS/S, although I think they do have an "S Line" badge. If BMW NEEDS to put something on the back I would much prefer a "M Performance" badge than it to say M next to the model, if that makes sense?

They are doing this because it will be a cash cow but they also must realize that a ton of people bought M's because they were unique and a status symbol, what will those people buy when M can be had on a much cheaper model? The person who doesn't care about performance but bought an M3 because of it being a status symbol can now just buy an M335i for $10K less and 99% of people on the road will have no clue there is a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #114
YOYO1111
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I just don't understand the concept. They are squeezing every penny out of that "M" brand. Plus, why does the M550d have a sportier alcantera interior then the M5? They did it with the 1M coupe. So much sportier interior then the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #115
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
awesome consumption, awesome wheels, lame-long names.

This is a thinknig man's M5. So cool, I'd buy it if i could afford..
      01-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #116
Mo_power
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite 2008 328i

Whats the point of these cars? Economical and sporty?
      01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #117
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If you take the whole of the European market - Diesel outsells the petrol equivalent. In the US it is the complete opposite.

BMW does make sporty diesels but never has there been a road-going BMW performance diesel, and BMW knew this and so did M Division. They know there is demand for such a concept. I have been in rooms with many people and they have demanded such a concept as the M550d.

Which now offers the best of both worlds for European customers - Diesel economy and AWD and an exclusive badge and performance pedigree.

You may not like the concept, but for M this will be highly lucrative in terms what this can sustain for future developments. The competition are now beginning to catching up, but the M performance diesels show in engineering , precision and innovation that BMW M are still very much ahead.
      01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #118
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

These models are the most capable in their classes so I think they will have a big success
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #119
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_power View Post
Whats the point of these cars? Economical and sporty?
Yes.

(although not economical in the money saving sense, but economical in the sense of less consumption, less emission)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #120
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

"completely new category".... yeah right, ever heard of audi "S"?

The only good news here is "hydraulic steering". Did I read that right?
      01-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #121
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Glad I will never see these badges on the back of cars here. Just isnt right. A diesel X5 or M5 would be fine. But why call it a M 550 D. lame.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #122
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Too bad they spelled "precision" wrong. lol

Precison? WTF... If you're trying to convince people to buy into the idea, you better make sure you double-check your sh**.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #123
docjay
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe View Post
From the outside: like a Diesel, a bit deeper than a 535d though due ot the different exhaust.
From the inside: not that much like a Diesel. They make use of Active Sound Design a lot here. Bbut you will always know from the interior sound that it's a Diesel - on purpose by the way.
So the ASD is not as strong / not as much faking as in the new Audi A6 3.0tdi (don't know if americans know that car).
Thanks for the much appreciated response.
      01-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #124
Mdrei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mcars, not badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If you take the whole of the European market - Diesel outsells the petrol equivalent. In the US it is the complete opposite.

BMW does make sporty diesels but never has there been a road-going BMW performance diesel, and BMW knew this and so did M Division. They know there is demand for such a concept. I have been in rooms with many people and they have demanded such a concept as the M550d.

Which now offers the best of both worlds for European customers - Diesel economy and AWD and an exclusive badge and performance pedigree.

You may not like the concept, but for M this will be highly lucrative in terms what this can sustain for future developments. The competition are now beginning to catching up, but the M performance diesels show in engineering , precision and innovation that BMW M are still very much ahead.
Hi Scott,

I fully agree on the "highly lucrative" part. And honestly, I have zero issues with diesels, it's actually really great. However there is a major aspect lost in this new strategy:

M used to be "top of the engineering line", it was Motorsport (a whole package). Now they went downstream (throwing M parts at the whole barn), which is fine; however they forgot to deliver something for the hardcore M crowd (the crowd that made M what it is today). Where is the e9x CSL? Where is the daily driver and weekend racer? The CRT is not it, and the 1M was produced 700 times, after it was hyped for months.

I hear only about how M division is expanding in "lower" markets with lots of ///Marketing hype and nothing is done to keep the heritage/soul alive. What has M Gmbh accomplished on the track in the last few years? Every M before the e9x used to be a force to be recond with by the Porsche, MB, Audi crowd both on the street and on track, to the point where the e46 M3 GTR had to be outlawed. M is no longer Motorsport, and it really breaks my heart. All this talk about the diesel, great, drop it into a race format and go after Audi's TDI, prove that there is ///Motorsport, not a bunch of parts with a logo.

Since the e9x is approaching EOL, BMW kept teasing us with, "wait you have to see what we have in store". Personally, and I think some of the people here, we were all waiting for some amazing machine, an M3 for Power Machine. We got nothing lighter, more powerful, nimbler than the current model (like in previous model runs), instead a bunch of M badges.

Bottom line, call the cars whatever you want but don't loose what M stands for.

Cheers,
.Mdrei
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #125
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOYO1111 View Post
I just don't understand the concept. They are squeezing every penny out of that "M" brand. Plus, why does the M550d have a sportier alcantera interior then the M5? They did it with the 1M coupe. So much sportier interior then the M3.
The concept is making money.

And that alcantara interior is the standard interior that comes with the m-sport package that you get with the 520d too.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #126
kugasman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 X5 35d  [0.00]
Diesels Lame?

You all are right, diesels could never be considered true performance cars..

Case in point:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #127
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No, they won't unfortunately, per http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637125
I think this is a grave mistake Jason. I drive as our DD the MB C350 it has the AMG package, no AMG Badge on the car other then on the wheels. I would not have it any other way.

It does take the meaning away from our true ///M Design Cars. I think it is all about Marketing now what say you... well no need to answer that I don't like to put anyone on the spot.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #128
Leo_328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster, E39 E36 E34 E30

I love the idea of having a 'half-M' car, it really does appeal to me - thats basically what the E36 M3 was in the USA was and that was an enormous success.

The specifications of this M-tuned 3l inline-6 is absolutely astonishing. 280kw is what you'd expect out of a factory 3.0l petrol motor and to achieve this with a diesel is absolutely awesome! I just hope this engine will be available in the F30/F32 in the future with a RWD configuration and manual gearbox.

I also absolutely love the fact that these cars are getting their own unique M-tuned suspension settings which seems to me that the whole car is a bespoke complete M package, albeit I am a bit disappointed that these are AWD only and automatic only.

Looking forward to seeing a RWD, M Performance 1 and 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #129
czechchamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Nothing says "M" better than turbos, diesel engines, AWD, and automatic transmissions!
Win!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #130
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

FOR THE WIN. I hate that they are using the ///M emblem, but f**k it, if it makes them money, and they keep giving me cars I love, I will stop crying about it and just give in. I would prefer an ///M5, but I already have an e92 ///M3, so perhaps a ///M550d makes more sense for me with a compromise between good performance and cool interior with KICK-ASS gas mileage

Ok., I tried to sell myself, but really, no chance I'm passing on the ///M5....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #131
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaito View Post
The problem is that Audi have the S and the RS division. So you know the RS is all business. But now everybody is going to have a car with the M badge. The M badge should be reserve for the best of the best, not this. They should just call it the BMW performance.
This is how I used to think, but then I realized, we will know the difference, and that is all that matters.....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #132
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

oh.....and I guess we know why they filed that tri-turbo patent

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0