Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
rickf325
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
but surely there is a difference between caring and being interested.
I agree if you own a 560hp car fuel shouldn’t be your deciding factor but I for one can afford an M5 and have ordered one but that doesn’t mean I can afford to fill the tank up 4 times a week every week. In the UK that would mean £1600 a month just on fuel alone! BTW I know that is a bit of an extreme example.
I am sure you could all afford a lambo's and Ferraris if you wanted them but I bet you say to yourself (I couldn’t because of the running costs).
There are people out there that stretch themselves to own their dream car (maybe it’s an M5) and we shouldn’t forget that.
Thanks all. Appreciate the data, and the sentiments. I prefer having all the data, then making informed decisions. The "who cares, it's a $100k car" responses reinforce to me that BMW has over-reported the EPA mileage and that the answer for real-world mpg is "low." Does it matter? For some, "yes"; for others, "no."

re: My e46--it's my track car. Mileage doesn't matter. Was just offering a data point.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf325
Quote:
I agree if you own a 560hp car fuel shouldnt be your deciding factor but I for one can afford an M5 and have ordered one but that doesnt mean I can afford to fill the tank up 4 times a week every week. In the UK that would mean 1600 a month just on fuel alone! BTW I know that is a bit of an extreme example.
I am sure you could all afford a lambo's and Ferraris if you wanted them but I bet you say to yourself (I couldnt because of the running costs).
There are people out there that stretch themselves to own their dream car (maybe its an M5) and we shouldnt forget that.
Thanks all. Appreciate the data, and the sentiments. I prefer having all the data, then making informed decisions. The "who cares, it's a $100k car" responses reinforce to me that BMW has over-reported the EPA mileage and that the answer for real-world mpg is "low." Does it matter? For some, "yes"; for others, "no."

re: My e46--it's my track car. Mileage doesn't matter. Was just offering a data point.
I wouldn't say over reported the mileage.

I know some people who have gotten 26 mph highway.

The issue is that the EPA testing procedure is not how an M5 owner drives his car. They don't cruise on highway at >100mph, or engage in rapid acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
neurom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho View Post

For me I will never ever ever understand why anyone could care about fuel consumption on a 412kw car.

Each to their own.
BMW cares, as they have stated (paraphrasing) the F10 M5 through technology has achieved a substantially better economy than the E60 M5.

Lets not be extremists, all I am saying is that most including BMW do care, although granted we do not have unreasonable expectations on a car with this kind of power. We just don't make it a priority to makes us want to buy a Prius instead (another repetitive black or white type of comment posted on these MPG discussions that misses the point). Given the choice, would you want the next gen M5 to have more power and better fuel efficiency than the F10 M5? Or lets go to the anti-Prius extreme to play that game, would you get an F10 M5 if it gave you an average of 5 MPG? If nobody cared, then no one would try to find technology to make certain things possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Gas cost is the least of my concern but I still would like to contribute to the "green" movement and am eyeing a Tesla just for city driving. Anyway, my M5 averages at 19 miles to a gallon 50% local roads/50% highway. I know that just pure highway, I am able to stretch it to 21 - 22 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

4300miles; 75% highway; average speed 39.6 mph; average mpg: 18.9 (US).
Bish
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Presently seeing 16.6 with a mix of highway and street roads.
      02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I agree if you own a 560hp car fuel shouldn’t be your deciding factor but I for one can afford an M5 and have ordered one but that doesn’t mean I can afford to fill the tank up 4 times a week every week. In the UK that would mean £1600 a month just on fuel alone! BTW I know that is a bit of an extreme example.
I am sure you could all afford a lambo's and Ferraris if you wanted them but I bet you say to yourself (I couldn’t because of the running costs).
There are people out there that stretch themselves to own their dream car (maybe it’s an M5) and we shouldn’t forget that.
VERY true, I am thinking along these lines now, the price of "super Unleaded is approaching £6:40 / per gallon, now thats not cheap at all.
      02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Although I do not care for gas prices, otherwise I would have gotten a Tesla (which I am thinking of getting one, just for city driving), I currently get 19 miles to a gallon just city driving with my 2013 6-speed manual M5. Mixed City/Highway, I get 20-21mpg and pure highway, I get 22mpg. Remember, it is not just the car technology, one also has to know how to drive efficiently and make fully use of Physics, especially momentum.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I'm getting 17 mpg avg according to what the car is telling me. The problem is it's a high performance car (which we usually ignore mpg) and a commuter car (expect reasonable mpg) at the same time so when driving normally, you may feel conflicted as to why a car like this is getting such horrible mpg. When I was in my Evo, or GT3, they were such hard hitting cars, that I never counted mpg becuase I had my fun and got out of the car. Throwing $150-200 for fuel for a trackday (1 day) was fine. When sitting in the M5 for a prolonged period of time and not getting on it and getting 8-10 mpg city just driving does get painful regardless of how much money anyone makes.

My other car happens to be a prius, and what hybrid ecar haters don't realize is, yeah, it's gonna take you 10 years to make up the dollars in fuel to offset the cost of the car but what the real gain is you're saving TIME. People like us who buy M5's know that time is precious. Taking 10-15 out of your commute once a week to get out of your car in the winter and pump $80 is the real waste.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
I'm getting 17 mpg avg according to what the car is telling me. The problem is it's a high performance car (which we usually ignore mpg) and a commuter car (expect reasonable mpg) at the same time so when driving normally, you may feel conflicted as to why a car like this is getting such horrible mpg. When I was in my Evo, or GT3, they were such hard hitting cars, that I never counted mpg becuase I had my fun and got out of the car. Throwing $150-200 for fuel for a trackday (1 day) was fine. When sitting in the M5 for a prolonged period of time and not getting on it and getting 8-10 mpg city just driving does get painful regardless of how much money anyone makes.

My other car happens to be a prius, and what hybrid ecar haters don't realize is, yeah, it's gonna take you 10 years to make up the dollars in fuel to offset the cost of the car but what the real gain is you're saving TIME. People like us who buy M5's know that time is precious. Taking 10-15 out of your commute once a week to get out of your car in the winter and pump $80 is the real waste.
Yep get where you are coming from, luckily I will have the wife's small car for town work, it would pee me right off siting wasting fuel like that.
      02-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
Captain Stubing
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Averaging a tick over 15mpg city. Has been as low as 11mpg. Blended city/highway is averaging around 19 to 20. I ususally have the car in the more aggressive sport settings also.

Now, took a over the road vacation after I got my 1200 mile service done. Total roundtrip mileage was around 2400 miles. During that trip, I average 26.8 mpg. That was with all settings in Efficient and Comfort for the most of the highway trip. Honestly I thought that was more than acceptable on the MPG front for this car. Oh yeah, that was on the winter tires and wheel setup. So not sure if the 20" summer tires would have made any difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

I have driven 10500 miles in the M5 since last April probably 60% town the rest motorway work including a 1500 mile trip too the nurburgring and average is 20.9 same sort of work in my old e92 m3 managed 19mpg so very pleased with the m5
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

lol who cares..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Averaging a tick over 15mpg city. Has been as low as 11mpg. Blended city/highway is averaging around 19 to 20. I ususally have the car in the more aggressive sport settings also.

Now, took a over the road vacation after I got my 1200 mile service done. Total roundtrip mileage was around 2400 miles. During that trip, I average 26.8 mpg. That was with all settings in Efficient and Comfort for the most of the highway trip. Honestly I thought that was more than acceptable on the MPG front for this car. Oh yeah, that was on the winter tires and wheel setup. So not sure if the 20" summer tires would have made any difference.
Now that was fantastic MPG, I would love that kind of "cruising mileage".
      02-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #37
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

If you get 2-3 feet behind a semi on the freeway you can get 30.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #38
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

are the guys with lower gas mileage consuming more oil in their vehicles, compared to the cars that are getting better gas mileage? i think that would be more interesting to know. we will have an idea of what impact continous "hard" driving can do to our engines?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
If you get 2-3 feet behind a semi on the freeway you can get 30.
Car manufacturers have for years put in their car design the least wave drag that a car can have thereby better aerodynamic design but nothing beats having a bigger object in front of the car that is taking all that wind drag (wind resistance). Hope that big semi in front has the same destination your car is going!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I'm a bit surprised at so many one dimensional responses. It isn't just about cost. A significant complaint (and one of my chief ones) about the E60 is the ridiculous lack of range. While I am not focussed on a difference of $1,000/year or so (for us in the U.S.), for those of us who are particular as to what brand of gas we put in the beast, it would be nice to make it from NY to VT or NY to Boston without having to stop and fill up. That combination of limited range and limited acceptable locations to fuel up is a headache that someone who can afford to own a $100K car prefers to to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #41
BlackSaphire
Rep
Drives: Posh Kaen

While mpg is important to some, to me spm is more so...

Yeah, I remember driving my then-new 07 M6 6MT coupe from Orlando to NY and having to stop 6 times for gas. After each fill up, the range showed 325 miles, yet after driving a few miles the range would start dropping in large chunks...and fast. But overall, I had averaged slightly over 19 mpg on that trip, which I thought was very respectable for a V10!

I do recall keeping the car in mostly 4th and 5th, just to hear that glorious V10 singing above 5500 rpm...I will say, that trip was the highest smiles per mile quotient of any car I have driven since. Almost regret selling the M6 in 2010...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

between 14 and 15 mpg
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #43
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteM5 View Post
lol who cares..
+1 Never even look. When I get the reminder I put gas in her. As for the "range" comment. BMW put a bigger tank in the F10. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #44
rjdoc74
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
+1 Never even look. When I get the reminder I put gas in her. As for the "range" comment. BMW put a bigger tank in the F10. Problem solved.
Did everyone notice an improvement in MPG after 1200 miles? I currently have 200 miles on the clock and getting like 11 mpg in all efficient settings.
Appreciate 0