M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

I run 3.5 boost on 93 octane with no issues. No data to prove it but car feels stronger than it did at boot 3.0

My service advisor has no issue with the piggyback and as long as BMS is faster car I'll stick with it.

That being said if there is a major engine or mechanical issue for whatever reason I will remove it prior to service.

Also if there is any definitive data or evidence to prove Dinan is superior I would not hesitate paying extra for it and also for more "peace of mind"

An ECU tune or ECU clone we all agree is the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Just go with the base setting of 3 on 91 octane and 3.5 max on 93 octane and up and you will be fine. Mine did great tuned on a 95 degree track day.
I believe you are just putting it on Auto mode 3 sport plus on the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #25
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Just go with the base setting of 3 on 91 octane and 3.5 max on 93 octane and up and you will be fine. Mine did great tuned on a 95 degree track day.
I believe you are just putting it on Auto mode 3 sport plus on the track?
It was in manual S3 , sport plus throttle , sport plus suspension , sport steering . It has so much torque I was using 4th gear most of the track lol .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #26
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

BMS is where it's at... Dinan doesn't have Nearly the options you have with a jb4 maps gauge hijacking etc. Also jb4 has a ton of built in features that will kick you to another map if you get too much knock or go lean etc etc. 12.0 at 124 is a sorry time for a f10 M5. A lightly modded n55 (3.0 single straight 6) will run that or even better E/T.sounds like you had a terrible 60'... Anyways I wouldn't rag on piggy back tunes there is a lot that a flash doesn't do that makes a piggy safer.... Lots of fail safe modes for fuel pressure timing knock and overboost that a flash tune won't even show or warn you on that can cause more serious issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #27
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
BMS is where it's at... Dinan doesn't have Nearly the options you have with a jb4 maps gauge hijacking etc. Also jb4 has a ton of built in features that will kick you to another map if you get too much knock or go lean etc etc. 12.0 at 124 is a sorry time for a f10 M5. A lightly modded n55 (3.0 single straight 6) will run that or even better E/T.sounds like you had a terrible 60'... Anyways I wouldn't rag on piggy back tunes there is a lot that a flash doesn't do that makes a piggy safer.... Lots of fail safe modes for fuel pressure timing knock and overboost that a flash tune won't even show or warn you on that can cause more serious issues.
Our ride only use a JB3 or a JB3 stage 2 with meth integrated. We can't use jb4, nothing like the n55 n if u use the Jb4 mobile app it will only show target boost, actual boost n map that's all. Nothing else......
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #28
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
Our ride only use a JB3 or a JB3 stage 2 with meth integrated. We can't use jb4, nothing like the n55 n if u use the Jb4 mobile app it will only show target boost, actual boost n map that's all. Nothing else......
damn well it sounds like you guys need to start blowing up terry for some more support
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've been fortunate to have installed multiple BMS and Dinan kits.
There are differences to both setups.
The only thing that BMS has an advantage of is being able to adjust the settings that the user feels will benefit. Increase boost and you go faster, that's simple. But safe for how long ? I don't know why everyone here thinks that if there is a problem all you do is remove the BMS unit and no-one from BMW will find out...that's laughable lol
The D-tronics unit is just as "fast" in performance but the vehicle has a way better performance curve.. The transition is so much smoother and precise.
All around the Dinan is a better setup. The price is what you pay for. We all have our own choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
The only thing that BMS has an advantage of is being able to adjust the settings that the user feels will benefit. Increase boost and you go faster, that's simple. But safe for how long ? I don't know why everyone here thinks that if there is a problem all you do is remove the BMS unit and no-one from BMW will find out...that's laughable lol
The D-tronics unit is just as "fast" in performance but the vehicle has a way better performance curve.. The transition is so much smoother and precise.
All around the Dinan is a better setup. The price is what you pay for. We all have our own choice.
safe for how long? lol funny, adding any piggy or tune is a risk. follow the guidelines and you shouldnt EVER have issues. my car is a 2012 135i and i take it in with the jb4 and everything on it never had one problem having any warranty work done. so not sure what you're talking about DINNAN is a joke you guys are boosting 3-4 psi more and youre worried? try doubling the boost and then maybe you should worry. dinnan is a joke do you have any proof its just as "fast?" bc i can pull up plenty of dyno's and 1/4 mile results of n54/n55 with a jb piggy that makes A TON more power reliably over the dinnan....its comical you say the vehicle has a "way better performance curve with dinnan and all around better setup" it is now obvious what you have on your car and maybe for M5/M6 dinnan is up to par with jb but on ALL other platforms DINNAN is for an idiot that doesnt know any better and pays 4x the price of a jb unit that does less and yeilds WAY less power. we all do have our own choice do your homework and the choice is clear as day what "the better unit is"
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #31
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
safe for how long? lol funny, adding any piggy or tune is a risk. follow the guidelines and you shouldnt EVER have issues. my car is a 2012 135i and i take it in with the jb4 and everything on it never had one problem having any warranty work done. so not sure what you're talking about DINNAN is a joke you guys are boosting 3-4 psi more and youre worried? try doubling the boost and then maybe you should worry. dinnan is a joke do you have any proof its just as "fast?" bc i can pull up plenty of dyno's and 1/4 mile results of n54/n55 with a jb piggy that makes A TON more power reliably over the dinnan....its comical you say the vehicle has a "way better performance curve with dinnan and all around better setup" it is now obvious what you have on your car and maybe for M5/M6 dinnan is up to par with jb but on ALL other platforms DINNAN is for an idiot that doesnt know any better and pays 4x the price of a jb unit that does less and yeilds WAY less power. we all do have our own choice do your homework and the choice is clear as day what "the better unit is"
You post reflects that you clearly didn't read what I wrote. And you sure are negative man. This is a forum for people to all share information and thoughts.
This is a forum on (S63T) not (N54/N55) engines.
Does BMS or even Cobb out perform Dinan on N engines ? Yes it does.
Is it cheaper, yes to that answer too. Does it have more features over Dinan or Active Autowerke ? Yes it does.
Oh shit, wait. You mean that even other tuning companies are same price range as Dinan. Yup ! Active Autowerke does too. Where is your bashing on them ?
But, that's not what I wrote. And neither did I say that you will have warranty or service issues. Its a LAW that you can not be denied service or warranty unless it is proven the aftermarket product resulted in a component failure.
But if you have a failure and think that all you gotta do is remove the performance unit and the "coast is clear" ? Your wrong.
There will be evidence in other control modules in your car.
Ohhhhh wow .... Guess you forgot that more then the DME and EGS control modules communicate to eachother and store codes and real time operating values that any legit scanner and especially a factory BMW tool will show. That's not new news.
And that's awesome your car is so badass. Good for you man. Sounds like a real sweet 135
But, on the S63T engines which we are all talking about here... yes the Dinan D-tronics setup does have a better all around performance curve then the BMS tune. There are members here that have came out and seen and driven both setups with me. Do I need a dyno sheet ? Nope. Are they good for numbers sure, do I give a shit ? Nope
Anyone is socal want a ride to compare drivability ? I always post that I attend all socal events and anyone wants to meet up I always am willing to give test drives. I'm a car enthusiast too
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #32
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You post reflects that you clearly didn't read what I wrote. And you sure are negative man. This is a forum for people to all share information and thoughts.
This is a forum on (S63T) not (N54/N55) engines.
Does BMS or even Cobb out perform Dinan on N engines ? Yes it does.
Is it cheaper, yes to that answer too. Does it have more features over Dinan or Active Autowerke ? Yes it does.
Oh shit, wait. You mean that even other tuning companies are same price range as Dinan. Yup ! Active Autowerke does too. Where is your bashing on them ?
But, that's not what I wrote. And neither did I say that you will have warranty or service issues. Its a LAW that you can not be denied service or warranty unless it is proven the aftermarket product resulted in a component failure.
But if you have a failure and think that all you gotta do is remove the performance unit and the "coast is clear" ? Your wrong.
There will be evidence in other control modules in your car.
Ohhhhh wow .... Guess you forgot that more then the DME and EGS control modules communicate to eachother and store codes and real time operating values that any legit scanner and especially a factory BMW tool will show. That's not new news.
And that's awesome your car is so badass. Good for you man. Sounds like a real sweet 135
But, on the S63T engines which we are all talking about here... yes the Dinan D-tronics setup does have a better all around performance curve then the BMS tune. There are members here that have came out and seen and driven both setups with me. Do I need a dyno sheet ? Nope. Are they good for numbers sure, do I give a shit ? Nope
Anyone is socal want a ride to compare drivability ? I always post that I attend all socal events and anyone wants to meet up I always am willing to give test drives. I'm a car enthusiast too
where did i ever say my car was "soo badass" quit putting words in my mouth i was using it as an example that bmw isnt after your warranty. i undestand what this forum is for OPINIONS and my opinion is different than yours for many reasons. Im not as familiar with the new m5/m6 platform but i am with dinnan and their track record, you claiming dinnan is a better unit with out dyno results or track results is complete crap. even the new m3/m4 check out what BMS is doing compared to dinnan for 1/2 the cost. no brainer...i wasnt trying to offend you but i sure would love to run you . where in so cal are you? My buddy with a new JB M4 would love to join in as well. bms will have their F10 at no fly zone in november for 1/2 mile roll racing you should sign up. get some friendly runs with the jb f10 and see who out performs who...hope to see you there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
where did i ever say my car was "soo badass" quit putting words in my mouth i was using it as an example that bmw isnt after your warranty. i undestand what this forum is for OPINIONS and my opinion is different than yours for many reasons. Im not as familiar with the new m5/m6 platform but i am with dinnan and their track record, you claiming dinnan is a better unit with out dyno results or track results is complete crap. even the new m3/m4 check out what BMS is doing compared to dinnan for 1/2 the cost. no brainer...i wasnt trying to offend you but i sure would love to run you . where in so cal are you? My buddy with a new JB M4 would love to join in as well. bms will have their F10 at no fly zone in november for 1/2 mile roll racing you should sign up. get some friendly runs with the jb f10 and see who out performs who...hope to see you there.
All I gotta say is
You really gotta take a breather man and read posts before replying.
I have BMS and Dinan. Both have advantages.
"I" said your car was badass. You have a nice list of mods.
I'm in Temecula. Message me anytime and I'll meet you.
And I'll bring a BMS M5, M6, and a M4 too. Hell.. I can call up a Weistec CLS 6.3 and he will embarrass everyone. There will always be someone who is faster. Who cares. We all love cars.
This went way
Have a good one

Last edited by EuroKar; 09-19-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #34
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
All I gotta say is
And I'll bring a BMS M5, M6, and a M4 too. Hell.. I can call up a Weistec CLS 6.3 and he will embarrass everyone. There will always be someone who is faster. Who cares. We all love cars.
This went way
Have a good one
I def don't think I'm faster but I would love to run you on stock map and added boost map just for comparison. I'm breathing just fine....jk LOL we should meet though I have a good group of quick cars that are all down for some friendly runs. sorry op
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #35
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

I'm just glad the N55's are finally getting some respect!

Former car: 2007 335i JB3 DCI, etc.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #36
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

09-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #37
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

oh and Terry doesn't have the f1o anymore.
He is playing with the M3 now.
      09-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #38
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar

Thanks for the write up on differences or pros and cons on BMS vs Dinan!

I agree with your thoughts here. I will add some thoughts/experiences from European tuners that probably correlate quite well with what you wrote.

German magazines, like Sport Auto and Auto Bild Sportscars, often do tests of tuner cars. Either a single test or comparison tests of cars from several tuners.

In Europe, just as in the US, we have tuners that offer a cheaper tune, often claiming/having a higher gain than some more expensive tuners. Their tunes come at a affordable price level, but often without legal approval and allways without warranty. But you get a big bang for your buck (or Euro in this case ).

The high end tuners, usually represented by AC Schnitzer in the BMW tests, often claim less power increase but comes with legal approval and warranty.

When these magazines test tuner cars, and do comparison testing with a number of timed tests (acceleration, in gear acceleration, track time etc) more often than not, they prefer the driveability and power delivery characteristics of the ACS/high end tune over the cheap tune. It's not allways about a max peak hp number... This is also seen in their timed metrics, where the tune with a better overall power curve often is quicker than the tune with "just" a higher peak number! Of course the tests also show that sometimes the cheaper tune is faster since it has a real advantage in power. But that might compromise driveability again.

There is a huge difference between the amount of development time that goes into a high end tune and one that just use their std piggyback and make new connectors for every new model they sell it for. The simplest piggybacks that just alters boost signals aren't really advanced and can be sold/used on allmost any turbo car with just minor software mods. A piggyback like Dinan's or AC Schnitzer do more than alter boost and have more control over parametres such as AFR etc. They also require more development work for each new model. The JB4 is much more advanced than the JB3 that the M5 use (it's actually the 550i piggyback that also is used on the M5).

But the JB3 definitely works! It increases power and puts a smile on the driver. No arguing that.

The point is that you usually get what you pay for. And the high end tunes usually have better driveability and/or power delivery. As well as warranty and being legal...

It's also different to going for a service and the dealership not saying anything about a tune, to having a engine failure and getting that covered by BMW under warranty! In the latter situation they will do due dilligence and make sure that the owner hasn't violated the terms of the warranty. Which I personally think is just the way it needs to be done. I'm not interested in paying a higher price for my new BMW just because BMW have had to up the margin due to a lot of warranty claims based on tuned cars breaking down...

And, yes they can tell that there has been a piggyback even if you remove it. The dealer can't AFAIK, but when the factory is hooked up to your car when it's sitting at the dealer, they can read a lot of stuff that is telltale signs of a previous tune...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #39
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar
Quote:
All I gotta say is
This went way
Have a good one
I'm down. Say the word. I love in oceanside.

I'm in Annapolis for a class reunion this weekend, but next weekend is good.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #40
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
oh shit son...lets burn some rubber.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #41
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Don't mean to thread jack..
All I had was downpipes and a tune from BMS. Car is a 2014 550xi.

11.7 @ 118MPH

M5 was AWD easily 10 sec car all day with LC.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #42
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Let's get together for some more runs soon gents
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #43
Newguy123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
Don't mean to thread jack..
All I had was downpipes and a tune from BMS. Car is a 2014 550xi.

11.7 @ 118MPH

M5 was AWD easily 10 sec car all day with LC.

Nice slip that 60' is pretty damn good was that on slicks? I don't know about awd helping you that much to claim 10's LOL. it will slow you a little on the big end you would have to hit a 1.3-1.4 60' with that trap to see 11.0
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #44
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 M2 07/16 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
oh and Terry doesn't have the f1o anymore.
He is playing with the M3 now.

He got rid of it already !? I have to admit the new M4 does look pretty nice. I have the BMS tune in my M5 and only run 3.00 over like the directions say and also use 93 octane and Its been going pretty good. Dinnan kit is nice but $3400.00 bucks I could use that money for other things. Like jc05e46m3 said there will always will be someone faster. The other thing too people drive so damn slow now a days that's its hard to even go fast. Well at least that's how it is in New England. To many old people up here!
Appreciate 0