Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Doing The Proper Launch Control

As the title said,
i just had my car in to the dealer for the running-in service,
so i guess this is one of the new feature and privilege i get after completing 2000km,

yes, and some guide to launch the car.. i find it hard.
      11-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
As the title said,
i just had my car in to the dealer for the running-in service,
so i guess this is one of the new feature and privilege i get after completing 2000km,

yes, and some guide to launch the car.. i find it hard.
Never bothered myself, most find D3 /Sport steering and Sport+ engine, does the trick.
      11-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Requirements:
- DSC Off (not MDM, fully off)
- S3
- Car at normal oper temp

While completely stopped:
- Hold DCT lever up (downshift)
- Slowly accelerate the throttle to 100%. If the car moves you did something wrong.
- A flag will show up and the revs will steady.
- To launch: only let go of the DCT lever that your holding down. Immediately after you do so, the car will launch.
      11-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Written down and explained it looks like a lot, but in reality it's just:
- M1 Button
- DCT Up & Throttle 100%
- Let go to launch

Takes all but 2-3 seconds if you really know what your doing. Then even if you have seven perfect shifts, the DCT M5 will catch up during each shift.

What's the launch sequence for manual spec M5's? Do you have to use the brake and throttle instead of throttle and DCT lever?
      11-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

DSC off, S3 mode, suspension in comfort for best weight transfer, lever forward, and boom. Program all that into M1 or M2 for easy access.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

You also need to keep the throttle depressed for the duration of the launch. If you back off the launch will end and you are back in control.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Requirements:
- DSC Off (not MDM, fully off)
- S3
- Car at normal oper temp

While completely stopped:
- Hold DCT lever up (downshift)
- Slowly accelerate the throttle to 100%. If the car moves you did something wrong.
- A flag will show up and the revs will steady.
- To launch: only let go of the DCT lever that your holding down. Immediately after you do so, the car will launch.
Thanks, doesnt look that hard, i thot we have to step on the brake pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
If you had the 6 speed manual you would not have to worry about it. I apologize you are not in the U.S. . Much easier in the 6 speed manual.
LOL, would be interesting to drive a 6MT M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Never bothered myself, most find D3 /Sport steering and Sport+ engine, does the trick.
hahaha nice, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
DSC off, S3 mode, suspension in comfort for best weight transfer, lever forward, and boom. Program all that into M1 or M2 for easy access.
thanks, will try the comfort suspension

Quote:
Written down and explained it looks like a lot, but in reality it's just:
- M1 Button
- DCT Up & Throttle 100%
- Let go to launch

Takes all but 2-3 seconds if you really know what your doing. Then even if you have seven perfect shifts, the DCT M5 will catch up during each shift.

What's the launch sequence for manual spec M5's? Do you have to use the brake and throttle instead of throttle and DCT lever?
Yes, i thot we have to step on the brakes, yesterday i did, all the settings, push the lever up, hit the brake slightly and the flag showed up already without pressing the accelerator.
      11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
You also need to keep the throttle depressed for the duration of the launch. If you back off the launch will end and you are back in control.
I see, thanks
      11-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As soon as you hold the DCT lever forward with DSC off, the flag will show. Then in this mode, pushing the go pedal only raises the revs - keeping the car in neutral. The second you let go of the DCT lever, the car will drop the clutch in 1st gear, burn rubber, modulate the clutch for optimal wheel spin, and auto-shift into the next gear if you keep the throttle at 100% the entire time.
      11-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
As soon as you hold the DCT lever forward with DSC off, the flag will show. Then in this mode, pushing the go pedal only raises the revs - keeping the car in neutral. The second you let go of the DCT lever, the car will drop the clutch in 1st gear, burn rubber, modulate the clutch for optimal wheel spin, and auto-shift into the next gear if you keep the throttle at 100% the entire time.
In order to engage launch control, once all are setting are applyed, you must first depress the brake pedal slightly, then push the gear shift forward, flag appeard in center dash screen, then release the brake pedal and fully depress the gas pedal. The launch RPM can then be adjusted using the cruise control button on the steering wheel. Once you have the RPM set where you want it, release the gear shift lever while keeping the gas pedal fully depressed all the way to the bottom. From that point on, the cars computer take over for optimal results.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

From my personal experience; you need 6 conditions for LC to activate.

1) Car at "normal" operating temp
2) Ambient temperature several degrees above freezing (at least 40°F)
3) Stopped on level ground
4) D3 or S3 (either works)
5) DSC off
6) Shift lever forward.

You don't need to touch the brakes or accelerator to get the tell-tale flag to show up indicating LC is active. Once activated, floor the accelerator and adjust RPM with CC button if desired. Release the shifter and viola! You are now going for a fun ride!

Now sometimes if you don't have the brakes applied at all the car will creep forward. To prevent creep, apply the slightest pressure to the brakes, just enough to turn the brakes lights on. If you apply too much brake pressure, LC will not activate.

As has been mentioned by many, simply program one of the M buttons with the settings you desire plus # 4 and 5 above and if #1-3 above conditions exist, you can engage LC in less than 3 seconds. Enjoy!

All that said, the quickest way I've found to accelerate my M5 is not with LC. D3 and MDM mode with some prudent throttle work seems to get the best results for me. YMMV
Appreciate 0