M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Winter Tire Ponderings

Hi guys. "Crazy" John here asking questions again.

So I've recently moved to the greater Nashville area, but I still have responsibilities that see me driving down Alabama way for a couple days a week most every week and some occasional trips over to Knoxville this season are not out of the question.

Winters here are not horrible, but when there is a little bit of snow/ice the general populous is a bit less experienced driving in it AND the equipment is simply not there the further south you go. It does still get plenty cold here during Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/March to render the PSS unsafe without any precip thrown in.

The M5 is my daily driver and first choice on the 98 GMC Sierra LB 4x4 will always be given to the wife. If weather conditions are bad, I'll probably just skip my trip down that particular week, but this does me little good when I'm already down in AL, the weather gets poor, and I want to come home. Making it a more clear picture: trips down are usually in the early AM (5-7) and trips back are usually in the evening (5-7).

As I am investigating a set of winter tires and rims for the M5, I recognize from the reading materials (and tire rack) that a square setup on our vehicles is "preferred." But I'm always a believer that more is more, and I like having a bit "more" sidewall and contact patch on the tire.

That said, as I look at tires for winter, there are brands available that can given me a wider setup than the 255 or 265 recommended for the the square setup for winter driving. I've read a bit of the theory that narrow tire = greater deep snow traction as the tire "sinks" in. But putting theory aside, what is the experience on the forum with winter driving and the M5 (or any F10 5-series for that matter)? Who has heeded the guidance and who has thrown it to the wind and what has your experience been?

Also, some of you may have seen an earlier post from me where I went to the 295/35R20 Ferrari Spec PSS tires to pickup more contact patch and some more sidewall. I've loved every minute of that and the taller tire has helped with the speedo correction. When it comes time to replace the fronts again, I'll probably be going to a 275/35/R20 as well on the summers.

In the winter spirit, I see on tirerack that 265/35R20 is an alternate configuration, and then wheels start spinning and I start thinking well why not a 265/40R20 like theDunlop SP Winter Sport 3D? That gets me the sidewall increase I would prefer for both the clearance and the speedo correction. But, I'm unsure if anyone has had experience with a 28.5" diameter tire upfront on 13 M5 Stock springs... is there experience on whether it rubs or is the front (which is notorious for visually undesirable "gap") spaced enough to run this size of tire.

Buying alternate wheels is not out of the question as well for the winter setup, something square like a 20x9 or 20x9.5 setup has crossed my mind, and then I think, well what about some 285/35R20s Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 all around? That could be fun.

And there it is fans, a lengthy rambling post to set the stage for a health discussion. Please post away!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
JoeNo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Hey John

I just bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's 255-35-20 Front, 285-30-20 for the rears. I put them on the stock 20's. We dont get much snow in Atlanta but it does stay cold and wet in the winter.

I do make some trips to Chicago and Philly so if I get caught in a snow storm I'll have some peace of mind that they will be much better the PSS2's.

I have already noticed these tires are better in the cold.

That being said, even if you nail it 2nd gear in the summer with super sports the back end is going to break free. Knowing how to drive in snow is half the battle.

Just another option for you, but this is a good set up for me.

Cheers

Joe
      11-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks Joe.

I do agree with you that knowing how to drive the car is very important and I like to think I've got that down. Most of my summer spring and fall is spent with it in MDM mode. For consideration, I did last winter in North AL with the PSS. Only avoided driving it when there was truly ICE or snow on the roads (which was very infrequent) but my commute was a bit more tame at 26 miles one way. I'm now pushing 90+ miles one way.

How do the 255 and 285 size tires look on your stock 20s? Any rim protection left? 3/4 view Pic would be great!

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

John,

PM sent.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
JoeNo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Thanks Joe.

I do agree with you that knowing how to drive the car is very important and I like to think I've got that down. Most of my summer spring and fall is spent with it in MDM mode. For consideration, I did last winter in North AL with the PSS. Only avoided driving it when there was truly ICE or snow on the roads (which was very infrequent) but my commute was a bit more tame at 26 miles one way. I'm now pushing 90+ miles one way.

How do the 255 and 285 size tires look on your stock 20s? Any rim protection left? 3/4 view Pic would be great!

Thanks,
John
Honestly, they looks the same. good lock with your choice
      11-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I opted not to go with a square set-up but to rely on what the BMW engineers designed. This thought was confimed by Mike Miller of Tech Talk from Roundel when I asked him his advice. That said, I drive my car through winter and the cold, but rarely if ever in the snow and then only if I get caught unexpected, so we may be addressing seperate needs.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
I opted not to go with a square set-up but to rely on what the BMW engineers designed. This thought was confimed by Mike Miller of Tech Talk from Roundel when I asked him his advice. That said, I drive my car through winter and the cold, but rarely if ever in the snow and then only if I get caught unexpected, so we may be addressing seperate needs.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bish... PM replied, and thanks!

Joe: Thanks!

Drew: I think we are addressing similar needs. My goal isn't to get the M5 out when it gets bad (inches of snow on the road or freezing rain), but if I am out and it gets bad I want to be well equipped to make it back in.
Appreciate 0