BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Parking break failure

Just got to the car and the electronic parking break button feels loose and won't work with clutch or break depressed. Ironically stranded. Never missed a manual parking break so much. Another trip to the garage. Anyone else had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartlogan77 View Post
Just got to the car and the electronic parking break button feels loose and won't work with clutch or break depressed. Ironically stranded. Never missed a manual parking break so much. Another trip to the garage. Anyone else had this problem?
Wow, never heard of that before.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep

25 mins later decided to release. But now in limbo in case it happens on the road further from home. It's hot here wondering if the parking break seized to the rotors. My wife's pissed for making her come pick me up. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartlogan77
25 mins later decided to release. But now in limbo in case it happens on the road further from home. It's hot here wondering if the parking break seized to the rotors. My wife's pissed for making her come pick me up. Oh well.
Is your actual parking brake button broken? Will the red light turn off (means the parking brake has been disengaged)?

Did you wash your car and then have it sit for 24 or more hours? Are the rotors rusty/brown looking?

If the parking brake button light goes off (disengages) then use the throttle to move the car. Don't be afraid to watch the revs go to 1500 and the car seems stuck.. It could take up to 2,000rpm of engine power for the car to brake loose.

If the above is the case, use caution after you are moving again as the brakes won't work well until they are cleaned off (which can be done by using them).
      05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep

The button feels loose but what I have noticed is that when I used to press the button without the clutch or the break depressed I used to get a ping and the dash would show the screen saying depress the clutch or break. I don't get that anymore. The problem is intermittent. That does not work. I'm going to take it in to get checked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep

Final update. Switch was broken.

Note from technician. Switch tabs have become separated and pushing down on switch separates switch body and does not allow switch to reach down position for release.

There should be no flex in the switch if you have this then it's starting down the path mine went.
Appreciate 0