Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
Charlie Brown's time slip from the weekend!

hey look, the guy on the right had a faster speed.
He should. He spent more time on the track! Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #46
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
lol.

so would that mean he would win if the race continued?

what was he in BTW?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly
Quote:
lol.

so would that mean he would win if the race continued?

what was he in BTW?
I guess that depends. I'm factory limited to 155mph. He was in a heavily modded, tuned, weight reduced E60 M5 with Hoosier competition tires. Look at the time slip, he left way early. He actually left on the first yellow and I ran him down at the big end. Truth is I was not racing him per se, he just happened to be the car next to me. I was racing the clock and just wanted to get into the 11s so I was not concerned with reaction time. He too was just trying to get a good time. He mentioned he has run better times but was having some unknown trouble that day.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o102uxxqs25n01/IMG_2304.MOV

I'm in the far lane.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #49
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:

I'm in the far lane.
Holy

F10s are friggin quick man, great launch!! What was in the E60? Sounded mean and trapped high!
      05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #50
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

E60 was without exhaust. Removed some interior and a sweet set of 10 velocity stacks sans air filters under the hood. It did sound mean. I'm sure he had more mods including a good tune. And the semi slick racing tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #51
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

I'm in the far lane.
That was a very good launch. No discernible wheelspin in the video.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #52
mauricef
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black/Black

Quote:
All my runs except the one attempt with LC were in D3. No ability to rev before launching using D3. My technique was to shallow stage the car, hold brake with left foot, floor the gas, release the brake, wait for it...(seriously, it feels like it takes a second before the car responds. I could do this between the top and second yellow and not red-light). BANG! The revs shoot up and the car launches. Then it's a matter of modulating the throttle a bit and keep the rear wheels behind the front wheels.

Next time out I'm going to try S3.
It sounds like it behaved like my M3 DCT in auto mode. If you floor the gas past the detent it would raise the revs pause for about half a second and dump the clutch. It was like a mini launch control. I have not tried this yet in my M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #53
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Several asked questions about my launch technique:

Staging: Shallow stage; pull up and stop when pre stage lights up. Then just barely creep forward until the stage light lights. Try to get this down to where you can stop the car the instant the staging light comes on. Hard on the brake to prevent any roll-out which would start the clocks.

Launch: Floor it then release the brake. As long as you hold the brake the engine will not rev past 1200 rpm (in either D3 or S3) and the clutch doesn't seem to engage. When the brake is released it takes a few moments (seems like a half second) before the clutch is engaged. In that half second the revs build and you are hopeful the car doesn't roll forward (thus the reason I shallow stage the car). Then you feel the clutch engage, your hope turns to traction and no wheel-hop. If all is good, stay in it and enjoy the ride!

IMHO, I (all of us) can get the M5 into the 1.8s 60' with more practice and a good track. If so, this thing will run in the 11:50s on stock tires with no tune.

I'd be interested in what techniques others are testing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #54
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:

Staging: Shallow stage; pull up and stop when pre stage lights up. Then just barely creep forward until the stage light lights. Try to get this down to where you can stop the car the instant the staging light comes on. Hard on the brake to prevent any roll-out which would start the clocks.

Launch: Floor it then release the brake. As long as you hold the brake the engine will not rev past 1200 rpm (in either D3 or S3) and the clutch doesn't seem to engage. When the brake is released it takes a few moments (seems like a half second) before the clutch is engaged. In that half second the revs build and you are hopeful the car doesn't roll forward (thus the reason I shallow stage the car). Then you feel the clutch engage, your hope turns to traction and no wheel-hop. If all is good, stay in it and enjoy the ride!

IMHO, I (all of us) can get the M5 into the 1.8s 60' with more practice and a good track. If so, this thing will run in the 11:50s on stock tires with no tune.

i use the same method when i broke the record for e9X m3 for quickest ET but it was broken later. I really like the "mini" launches and can't wait to try the M5 at ATCO soon. We should get a list together with pics of slips so we can compare runs.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #55
harry$
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

What setting was used for the DSC ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #56
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

thanks for that.

you mentioned you then modulate the throttle. do you remember at which point you floor it after the launch? before you hit 2nd? or 3rd?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Charlie Brown:

You should post up the timeslip on dragtimes.com.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #58
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ mainly - floored it from the line, lifted a little in second but just a little and just for a few moments to settle the car after the 1:2 shift.

@ Tom C - good idea. I'll look into that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #59
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
All my runs except the one attempt with LC were in D3. No ability to rev before launching using D3. My technique was to shallow stage the car, hold brake with left foot, floor the gas, release the brake, wait for it...(seriously, it feels like it takes a second before the car responds. I could do this between the top and second yellow and not red-light). BANG! The revs shoot up and the car launches. Then it's a matter of modulating the throttle a bit and keep the rear wheels behind the front wheels.

Next time out I'm going to try S3.
holy crap i just tried that method for launching and i dont know how you got that to work.

you were right though, hold the brake, floor the gas, release the brake and nothing happens for at least a second!

but then SLAM!, the car launches but almost immediate, crazy wheel spin!!

like out of this world wheel spin!!!

i tried it 3 times and wasnt able to avoid it. as soon as the car launches i tried to let off the gas and modulate to avoid wheel spin but the wheels spin almost immediatly so there was no chance to catch it. it also reacts violently and shutters! i think it shifted to 2nd too all by its self, even though i had only moved a couple of feet.

weird thing is , i decided to try a couple of launch controls as well and they ALSO yielded lots of wheel spin! i dont remember getting any wheel spin before with LC

i wonder if its because im running a tune?

has anyone else tried this method for launching?

im curious to see if anyone has gotten it to work besides op.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #60
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
holy crap i just tried that method for launching and i dont know how you got that to work.

you were right though, hold the brake, floor the gas, release the brake and nothing happens for at least a second!

but then SLAM!, the car launches but almost immediate, crazy wheel spin!!

like out of this world wheel spin!!!

i tried it 3 times and wasnt able to avoid it. as soon as the car launches i tried to let off the gas and modulate to avoid wheel spin but the wheels spin almost immediatly so there was no chance to catch it. it also reacts violently and shutters! i think it shifted to 2nd too all by its self, even though i had only moved a couple of feet.

weird thing is , i decided to try a couple of launch controls as well and they ALSO yielded lots of wheel spin! i dont remember getting any wheel spin before with LC

i wonder if its because im running a tune?

has anyone else tried this method for launching?

im curious to see if anyone has gotten it to work besides op.
I tried Charlie's technique but I just get massive wheel hop. I did cut my best time at the track last week, 12.1 @ 121 and 2.1 60 foot (hooked no spin). Next time I go to the track I am going to go with a full tank of fuel and I am going to air the tires down to about 20 or 25 psi. I had the most amazing race against a Z06 on my 12.1 run. I tree'd him out of the hole and beat him by 0.060, was an awesome race.
      05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #61
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
22-24 psi for the rear tires is probably best anything lower than 20 your adding more drag.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #62
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

I am wondering if this will still work by hitting the brake, flooring it and then backing off the go pedal slightly to feather it out of the hole. I think I will be trying this launch method to see if it is any better.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #63
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I tried Charlie's technique but I just get massive wheel hop. I did cut my best time at the track last week, 12.1 @ 121 and 2.1 60 foot (hooked no spin). Next time I go to the track I am going to go with a full tank of fuel and I am going to air the tires down to about 20 or 25 psi. I had the most amazing race against a Z06 on my 12.1 run. I tree'd him out of the hole and beat him by 0.060, was an awesome race.
cool man.

did you get the wheel hop after letting off the gas or while you still had it floored?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #64
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@harry$ - DSC off
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #65
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I am wondering if this will still work by hitting the brake, flooring it and then backing off the go pedal slightly to feather it out of the hole. I think I will be trying this launch method to see if it is any better.
you mean flooring it, then backing off before you actually launch?

hey thats not a bad idea.

backing off after you launch just gives massive wheel hop. its like theres about a second delay between what your foot is doing and what the engine is doing.

this car sucks for that. touch senstivity is not there.

Last edited by mainly; 05-25-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0