it is your car. chose what you like.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
lakerpride05
www.thermal-solutions.us for Heatsink Requirements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - Alpine White

I'm gonna have to stop by and see what the Silverstone interior looks like in person. They look great in pics. And stealth, I agree about how black just blends and I'm starting to see that Silverstone extended has more value. It definitely pops.
      05-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #25
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
if i could change one thing about my M5 it to switch from silverstone leather to black. Silverstone marks way too easily and the marks just don't come out.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
SuperSonic
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 / G05 X5

I have monte carlo blue with individual graphite and piano black. The piano black is a better option than the aluminium trim
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
lakerpride05
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae
if i could change one thing about my M5 it to switch from silverstone leather to black. Silverstone marks way too easily and the marks just don't come out.

Neil.
Neil, can you post a pic or two of the marks? This is what I'm worried about.
      05-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post

Neil.
I wonder whether its just a matter of leather protection and cleaning product.

I have absolutely no problem getting marks of my platinum leather. Even grimy mechanic greasy handprints from when they installed my exhaust. My interior is as pristine as the day it was new. You can ask any of the Miami board members who will tell you my interior is spotless.

I use the following products:
1) Leather Masters Leather Barrier (prevents ink and stains from being absorbed in the leather. It effectively creates a coating.
2) Zaino Leather Cleaner (very quick and easy cleaning product for quick spot cleaning - use this to get out any marks immediately when I see them). This can take care of hand prints, shoe marks on the lower door panels, etc.
3) Swissvax Leather Cleaner Forte (for more stubborn stains)
4) Leather Masters cleaning foam (for when I do a full cleaning of all the seats)
5) leather masters protection cream matte (for regular leather conditioning).

Honestly it is not a big deal, and it is way better than living with a monochrome interior. There is very little difference between an M5 interior and a Honda Accord if you trim both in black leather. Leathers like Platinum, Silverstone, Opal White, etc. you only get in high end luxury cars.

Plus black is very bleak. You wake up on a nice bright colorful day and go into a black cabin. Not a great start to the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

check out my pics. This is on Champagne but I have similar worries on Silverstone
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845326

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerpride05 View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
There is very little difference between an M5 interior and a Honda Accord if you trim both in black leather.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this statement..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #31
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this statement..
I am going to agree with you to disagree. This sounds just a bit too broad but not surprising to me after reading a few from this poster. I notice he is prone to these sorts of generalizations without realizing it. Silver with black interior is a good color combination and of course has jack all to do with a Honda Accord. This is what I have on both my current cars and I had white with cream and tan interiors for many years. Of course I am sure that Honda Accords come with many different color and interior combos. My daughter has Gray on Gray for her Accord. Very monochrome choice but also suits her taste as do my color choices. The difference is that I had the cash to write a check for the car. So to me, the luxury is being able to afford the car if you want it. That is what luxury is supposed to be. Just for clarity, here is the definition.

1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort. 2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
lakerpride05
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich
check out my pics. This is on Champagne but I have similar worries on Silverstone
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845326

Quote:
Wow, that is just unacceptable, especially if it doesn't come out. Granted this was in a demo car with Champagne interior but do you think this would happen with Silverstone under normal use?
      05-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
I have seen silverstone in a car and it's bright white compared to that champagne. It's one reason I decided there was no way I would buy a car with that color interior. consider that I live in Texas and black interior is not a great choice for the environment. However, we do have ventilated seats and back and side sunscreens in the car so that is some help.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 05-26-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I suspect the issue will be a little less on Silverstone, as it has a very light blue undertone, as compare to Champagne or Platinum.

But this is only my guess, as I assume if we own and drive the car, the usage will be a lot lighter than the rental.. but still someone can correct me that no issues on Silverstone.

Quote:
Wow, that is just unacceptable, especially if it doesn't come out. Granted this was in a demo car with Champagne interior but do you think this would happen with Silverstone under normal use?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
I suspect the issue will be a little less on Silverstone, as it has a very light blue undertone, as compare to Champagne or Platinum.

But this is only my guess, as I assume if we own and drive the car, the usage will be a lot lighter than the rental.. but still someone can correct me that no issues on Silverstone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
I have seen silverstone in a car and it's bright white compared to that champagne. It's one reason I decided there was no way I would buy a car with that color interior. consider that I live in Texas and black interior is not a great choice for the environment. However, we do have ventilated seats and back and side sunscreens in the car so that is some help.
Quote:
Some education:

The leather in the M5 is a natural leather. That means it isn't encased in a thick coating of Polyurethane like the Dakota leather in lesser BMWs. This also means that stains can get absorbed into the skin. With Dakota leather you can clean it with soap and water because the polyurethane is waterproof. With the Merino natural leather you can't do that because the skin would get wet and damaged.

All M5 leathers are merino so the dye from your jeans will be transferred no matter what. You will notice that this is why even with a black leather car the leather looks more "fresh" when its new, and while it is always black the black doesn't seem so clean after a few years. The dye transfer is a function of the fact that it is a barely protected natural leather.

So Silverstone is quite vulnerable to this, and Sakhir won't turn blue but it will turn dirty from repeated exposure to jeans.

The solution is to protect the leather thoroughly and to continuously maintain it to keep it clean. If you want your car to stay like new this is an imperative. My leather is just as white, just as matte. just as smooth as the day it rolled out of the factory.

Now if you want your seats to be like this - read my response on how to clean up these stains in the other thread on the champagne leather, and then start a rigorous cleaning and protection schedule - at least monthly. I would also keep product in the car so you can respond quickly to any stain.
Appreciate 0