Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Cool, that's the one I just downloaded. Looks like you can sync Harry's with GoPro video as well: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gopr...app-t5105.html
      03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

I would not recommend using a GoPro until you are far more experienced on track. You need to devote all of your attention to getting used to the much higher limits that you'll be experiencing, not worrying about how everything's going to look later. Also, NEVER follow someone who you think knows what they're doing. That is a great way to end up off track as a beginner. Listen to the instructor and learn the correct line, not what another driver in the beginner group is trying to drive. Drink lots of fluids as you won't believe how dehydrated you will become. Have fun and stay safe.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I would not recommend using a GoPro until you are far more experienced on track. You need to devote all of your attention to getting used to the much higher limits that you'll be experiencing, not worrying about how everything's going to look later. Also, NEVER follow someone who you think knows what they're doing. That is a great way to end up off track as a beginner. Listen to the instructor and learn the correct line, not what another driver in the beginner group is trying to drive. Drink lots of fluids as you won't believe how dehydrated you will become. Have fun and stay safe.
Bish
Good advice. Thanks Bish
      03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

+1

Quote:
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Bish
Also don't forget to use the seat coolers on the track!!! Show me an M3 that can do that!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #28
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

Also please report back on M5 track experience, I am doing a track day with mine soon would be interested in your findings.
Couple more tips which I am sure you have hear many times, but damn if its not true
Slow in, fast out
Go slow in slow turns, go faster in fast turns <- this really helped me improve times.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Also don't forget to use the seat coolers on the track!!! Show me an M3 that can do that!
Haha no doubt! it's gonna be 93 degrees out there, so Cool Ass Technology on.
      03-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonest View Post
Slow in, fast out
Go slow in slow turns, go faster in fast turns <- this really helped me improve times.
That's what she said!

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
That's what she said!
She did indeed.. she did indeed. She also said, come back soon
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Rob, how did the track day go?
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Yeah how did the track day go?!

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I worked the corners for one of the sessions the M5 in question was running. It looked and sounded great! Me and my E46 M3 had a great time this weekend. The weather was sunny and in the 90s.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Sorry for lagging on the update. Went straight from the track days to some travel for work. Will be putting together a post soon with pics and thoughts on how the M5 performed.

I had a spectacular time! The event was first class with super friendly and helpful staff and students. What a blast.
      03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
A fellow student was nice enough to snap this quick vid of me going three wide on the front straight to pass.

More pics tomorrow

Last edited by Rob///M5; 03-19-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Post Chuckwalla Valley Raceway F10 M5 review

Last weekend I got the F10 M5 out for two solid days of track time and instruction. As the title of this thread stated, I've never tracked any car before…so my review is coming from a bit of an ignorant point of view, but perhaps a pov that many of us share.

The Event
This was a BMWCCA led event. First let me say that the program, instruction and people were absolutely first class! I learned so much in a short period of time, it was astonishing. Over the course of the two days I had 2 different in car instructors with 8 on track sessions (I only could stay for 7) of 30 mins each for roughly 3.5 hours in the car. The instructors each had very different approaches to teaching, both of which were very effective for me.

It was hot. 95 degrees in the desert on day 1 and only slightly cooler on day 2.

I was unsure what to expect going in to the event. I bought track specific insurance to be cautious. I wasn't too worried about myself taking the car past the limit, but I was unclear how other drivers would behave. In the end, it was a very safe environment. No one passes without clear indication from the driver in front. If I go again with the F10, I will likely not buy the added insurance (it ain't cheap). As this was my first day on track, I was in the novice group. The skill, confidence and aggressiveness levels varied wildly in this group, which made for some interesting clumping of vehicles on the track. By day two, this smoothed out substantially.

The Car
This thing is an absolute beast! As you'd expect the HP and torque are unbelievable. Chuckwalla is a pretty tight track with no long straightaways. Nonetheless, I was regularly hitting 105 on the straight between turns 10 and 11 on the back side of the track. As I said, it was 95 degrees (perhaps more on the actual track) and not once did the car go into limp mode. I never noticed any drop in HP or acceleration. I ran 91 octane on day 1 and mixed 100 into the tank on day 2 to achieve basically 95 octane…I couldn't tell a difference on the track, but there are so many things happening at once out there, it's perhaps not a fair assessment.

I ran the car with these settings:
  • Suspension--Sport Plus
  • Throttle--Sport Plus
  • Steering--Comfort
  • On day 1, I kept traction control on. Day 2 I used MDM mode.

With the HP/Torque of the F10, it's just a monster out there. I was regularly passing cars throughout the weekend, including E92 M3s. In fact, there were numerous times where I would be behind an E92 going into a straight and as we both began to pass a slower car, I would just have to sit back and wait as the E92 M3's torque slowly kicked in. The M5 is so much faster in the straights. I was not passed once all weekend until the very last run when my tires were completely toast and my instructor was having me work on late braking, so we were carrying less speed in the straights. I wasn't disallowing anyone to pass me, the car was just fast around the track.

Turbo lag??? What freaking turbo lag??? Absolutely non-existent. I drove 95% of this track in 3rd gear. Up to 4th on 2 of the straights, and down to 2nd for the tightest turn. If you had sat me in this car blindfolded, I could not have told you if it was a N/A or turbo car. The torque is entirely linear and is there right NOW. On the track you are easing in/out of both throttle and brakes anyway, so it simply isn't the slightest issue.

Braking was more than adequate. Never felt even a hint of fade. That said, I think an experienced driver would use the brakes far more aggressively than a novice. Steering was perfect in comfort mode the entire weekend.

I installed my new Eisenmann Race exhaust on the way to the event. Holy mother of God I love the noise of the E Race. It just roared around that track. The retaining wall on the front straight reflected the brilliant sound back into the cabin and made me smile every single lap. I had half a dozen people come over and tell me how sick the car sounded. Thank you Eisenmann!!

As we all know, the car is big…really big. I was the only F10 M5 there. Actually, I was the only M5, period. What the ///M engineers have done with the F10 is truly astonishing though. The balance is amazing for its heft and it really does just shrink around you when pushed hard.

In summary, this experience was incredible! I am completely hooked on the track now!! I've already started the search for something smaller to dedicate to track days (e36, e46, etc).

Every M5 owner should track their car at least once to fully appreciate the capabilities of this no compromise luxury sports sedan
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob///M5; 03-23-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #38
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
The instructors each had very different approaches to teaching, both of which were very effective for me.

It was hot. 95 degrees in the desert on day 1 and only slightly cooler on day 2.

I ran the car with these settings:
  • Suspension--Sport Plus
  • Throttle--Sport Plus
  • Steering--Comfort
  • On day 1, I kept traction control on. Day 2 I used MDM mode.

As we all know, the car is big…really big. I was the only F10 M5 there. Actually, I was the only M5, period. What the ///M engineers have done with the F10 is truly astonishing though. The balance is amazing for its heft and it really does just shrink around you when pushed hard.
How did you, or your instructors, feel about the car's body lean through the corners? Did they think added sway bar resistance might help that heavy car? The heat may have been a big part of the reason you demolished the tires so quickly. Great write up, good information and the pictures just added to the enjoyment! Thanks for telling us about the adventure.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

How do the PSS wear on the track, because I'm planning to track my M5 soon, but don't want them worn in 1 track day.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH
How do the PSS wear on the track, because I'm planning to track my M5 soon, but don't want them worn in 1 track day.
I will not track again with PSS. They got eaten up quickly. Some was probably due to track heat and tire heat (pressures ran high for a run on day 2), but traction was also limited by these tires.

I'll probably get some aftermarket wheels for the road, and wrap the stocks in Yokohama slicks for track days.
      03-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
ThisFlyGuy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Nice pics! Car looks great and sounded mean on that fly by video! what a great way to break in the new E-race lol
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
I will not track again with PSS. They got eaten up quickly. Some was probably due to track heat and tire heat (pressures ran high for a run on day 2), but traction was also limited by these tires.

I'll probably get some aftermarket wheels for the road, and wrap the stocks in Yokohama slicks for track days.
Glad you had fun. The general consensus is that road course driving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Re:track tyres. DOT R tyres should really be used by highly experienced track drivers as their limits are much higher than even an UHP street tyre, and the break away characteristics are very different. I would advise playing with the pressures on the PSS tyres before you move onto something with higher limits. Granted, chunking an expensive street tyre isn't optimal, but neither is throwing the car off the road since a "slick" gave no warning of impending loss of traction. Also, finding 20" DOT R tyres will damn near be impossible in the sizes for the OEM 20"s. That's why I have a set of the OEM 19" wheels which I'm currently using as my winters with Pirelli Sottozeros, and will then place some Hoosier R6's on for track season.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
Quote:

Glad you had fun. The general consensus is that road course driving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Re:track tyres. DOT R tyres should really be used by highly experienced track drivers as their limits are much higher than even an UHP street tyre, and the break away characteristics are very different. I would advise playing with the pressures on the PSS tyres before you move onto something with higher limits. Granted, chunking an expensive street tyre isn't optimal, but neither is throwing the car off the road since a "slick" gave no warning of impending loss of traction. Also, finding 20" DOT R tyres will damn near be impossible in the sizes for the OEM 20"s. That's why I have a set of the OEM 19" wheels which I'm currently using as my winters with Pirelli Sottozeros, and will then place some Hoosier R6's on for track season.
Bish
More great input Bish. Thanks!

Honestly, I doubt I'll track this car very much. It would be fun to take it to California speedway, which has a huge oval and long straights. There you can use the real strengths of the M5.

A smaller track focused car is definitely going to be added to my garage soon though that was just too much fun
      03-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Hi Rob

Glad you enjoyed it! It really is good fun, and does slow you down on the street.

Re tyres etc, the M5 is what it is! stick with the main stream, I 100% agree don't put fancy slicks etc on it - it isn't and never will be a race car, get a track day car E92 M3 is ideal!

Great to hear it went well...

Cheers
Stu