M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Bad news. The sound is still there BMW service checked inside-out and new shock-absorbers installed. I tried to get in touch with the owner of another M5 in country and ask him if he noticed the same problem, but he refused to "get in contact" but he told the dealership that he doesn't have any problems on his "weekend car". I think it's more likely that that owner doesn't know a thing how a proper well built car should be and don't think my car is the only one defected.

Local dealership is in process of getting in touch with BMW Germany because they think it's the problem of EDC system. Driving the car over bumps with EDC set to 'Sport Plus' and 'Comfort' mode show different results, sound more likely to come off when in 'Comfort' mode.

The BMW service expert said he thinks that the shock absorbers are were not designed good enough for bad roads or road bumps. He said the shock absorbers aren't fast enough to react to abrupt pits on roads or situations when you cross a tram railway.

I'd appreciate if other owners can possibly check their cars for this "loose tube" sound from rear when coming off a railway, road pits or little sidewalk to help decide if the problem is isolated for me or is a poorly designed shock absorbers for M5 F10. This will make many owners that drive the car every day and don't have perfect roads.

Last edited by singularity; 04-03-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Sorry to hear, but be patient. The M5 is the flagship car for BMW and considering it will be entering the US market, this problem will defineitly get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Sorry to hear, but be patient. The M5 is the flagship car for BMW and considering it will be entering the US market, this problem will defineitly get fixed.
Thanks sparkyg, I'm quite upset that the car sounds like an old abused vehicle on bad roads. I'll be patient and update you about the reply of BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
London Mike
Rep
Drives: M5 - 2010 - last of the V10's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
... this problem will defineitly get fixed
You think?

In 1995 I picked up my new E34 M5 LE with EDC, it had exactly the same noise that you describe. After months and months of the car being in and out of the dealers and about half a dozen new legs being fitted, the noise never went away and BMW never acknowledged the problem, in the end I gave up like all the other owners and just accepted it as how the cars was. The problem still exists today on the E34

Not wishing to spoil your enjoyment of what is a stunning car, like all previous M5, just a reality check about BMW and their track record of dealing with certain 'design features'...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Mike View Post
You think?

In 1995 I picked up my new E34 M5 LE with EDC, it had exactly the same noise that you describe. After months and months of the car being in and out of the dealers and about half a dozen new legs being fitted, the noise never went away and BMW never acknowledged the problem, in the end I gave up like all the other owners and just accepted it as how the cars was. The problem still exists today on the E34

Not wishing to spoil your enjoyment of what is a stunning car, like all previous M5, just a reality check about BMW and their track record of dealing with certain 'design features'...
Sorry to hear and clearly they did not help you out.

I would say that the current BMW has a larger market share and cannot hide anymore in Germany.

The internet, these forums, consumer reports all drive BMW to be up front with customers and they are under more pressure these days to solve problems.

People are also more aware these days and awareness will drive changes, that or it will hurt sales and customer satisfaction.

Let me say I hope BMW doesnt act the way they treated you and get to the bottom of the problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #28
singularity
Driver
Rep

Bad news. Local BMW service and dealership gave up hopes to find the reason and concluded that it's a "constructive specialty" of shock-absorbers. I have had to contact BMW in Munich directly explaining the problem. They said they have forwarded it to their Regional Office and have escalated this problem. They said to expect a contact with their technical department next week.

This is a major issue for any future M5 buyer who expects to use it as an everyday car. Still can't identify if this is an outrageous "constructive specialty" of the car or just my problem. Here's an example of roads surfaces that make this sound loud enough to notice, it can be heard even from outside. The sound appears when the wheel falls into a pothole/railway/cobblestone taller than 3 cm in height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

I'm sure this will get resolved. It may take some time, but BMW will provide a solution. This won't help but the first cars delivered are the guinea pigs. The deliveries that follow will benefit from your frustrations.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #30
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Keep the faith. There will be 1000's of M5's entering the market soon. If there is a problem it'll be fixed. American roads are certainly no better than yours.

Sorry its been such a pain but patient.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #31
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity
Bad news. Local BMW service and dealership gave up hopes to find the reason and concluded that it's a "constructive specialty" of shock-absorbers. I have had to contact BMW in Munich directly explaining the problem. They said they have forwarded it to their Regional Office and have escalated this problem. They said to expect a contact with their technical department next week.

This is a major issue for any future M5 buyer who expects to use it as an everyday car. Still can't identify if this is an outrageous "constructive specialty" of the car or just my problem. Here's an example of roads surfaces that make this sound loud enough to notice, it can be heard even from outside. The sound appears when the wheel falls into a pothole/railway/cobblestone taller than 3 cm in height.
I think I could feel your pain and hope that this gets fixed soon!
      04-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #32
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Yep. Mine is definitely getting worse. Really sounds like a steel bar rolling around in the boot of the car. Hoping once I do the 2000k service I will be able to open up the exhaust flaps to drown out the sound ....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
Yep. Mine is definitely getting worse. Really sounds like a steel bar rolling around in the boot of the car. Hoping once I do the 2000k service I will be able to open up the exhaust flaps to drown out the sound ....
Sorry to hear about this guys. Was wondering if either of you have a GoPro video camera that you can mount in the trunk (boot) or cabin to get an idea of what exactly this sounds like? Personally, I'd like to know as I am planning on ordering here in the US in about two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #34
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Sorry to hear about this guys. Was wondering if either of you have a GoPro video camera that you can mount in the trunk (boot) or cabin to get an idea of what exactly this sounds like? Personally, I'd like to know as I am planning on ordering here in the US in about two weeks.
Be a good idea to throw a GoPro in there and see what it hears.

I think the camera has mono sound only but at least we'd understand the noise better.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #35
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
Won't help it will be as loud and clear as ever. And even more so since you know that your trunk is empty.

About GoPro I don't know where to find one, I'm still waiting for a reply from slow Germans. "Person is not available, please call next week sometime". Aussie F10M maybe you have a way to record it?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Won't help it will be as loud and clear as ever. And even more so since you know that your trunk is empty.

About GoPro I don't know where to find one, I'm still waiting for a reply from slow Germans. "Person is not available, please call next week sometime". Aussie F10M maybe you have a way to record it?
Don't have a go pro, but I will see what I can do with the iPhone maybe.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

If you have an iPhone and don't mind getting something on it maybe some double sided tape and stick it under the rear deck?

Regarding the GoPro, probably the best few hundred USD I have ever spent:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-motorsports-edition/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

First off, I really feel for you guys. I know my heart would be down my ankles if I was in your shoes. I hope that this gets worked out for you.

I've always sided with the rule of thumb that you should never buy any product (especially cars) in their first year of production. Always want to give them time to get all the gremlins out. I was very tempted to throw caution to the wind with this car. However, this thread has square put me back on the 'wait' bandwagon.

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #39
singularity
Driver
Rep

Local BMW service tried replacing rear springs and driving, but confirmed that the sound is still there. Next would probably be recording the sound and sending to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity
Local BMW service tried replacing rear springs and driving, but confirmed that the sound is still there. Next would probably be recording the sound and sending to Germany.
I wonder if it's bushings on sway bar or something like that?

BMW corp needs to get a hold of this and work on it. They have better resources than a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #41
singularity
Driver
Rep

Another update, BMW service said that they wrote to Germany about the problem and are awaiting an answer. Also they want me to bring the car next week for them to try checking if it could be the gas tank being loose.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #42
Tupapison
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Quote:
Another update, BMW service said that they wrote to Germany about the problem and are awaiting an answer. Also they want me to bring the car next week for them to try checking if it could be the gas tank being loose.

Hope you get a solution for this problem, sounds like its a very annoying sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #43
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

Ok, I´m on the clunk/clonk/sproing boat too now.
I´ve had the sound 3 times. Every time it occcured was when going over a speedbump at some angle ( not crossing it in a straight line ).

I´ve heard it once in y friends M5 too.

Any ideas what it is?
      04-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
London Mike
Rep
Drives: M5 - 2010 - last of the V10's

We used to have a name for it, we called it the 'EDC Thud'. Unfortunately BMW had their own name for it, they called it a 'Design Feature'
Appreciate 0