M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

04-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Will M5 pretty much be sold at MSRP retail price in US? Is there much of a waitlist?

I remember when the e46 M3 came out in '01ish, there was so much demand for it, at my local dealers here in SD there was a 1 year waiting list just to order the car, and of course it was MSRP all the way, and that was for the nice dealers, some dealers were selling MSRP++ if you can believe that.

Of course times have changed significantly, but I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into the M5 pricing in the US. I don't mean specific pricing, I mean relative to MSRP. Do you think there is much of a waiting list to fill and therefore they will sell for MSRP only? Or is the market still soft enough that the new M5 will be priced off of dealer invoice, like invoice + $whatever?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

See my response to LAKEOM5's thread below. He asked the same thing.

There's long waiting lists at most dealers already and US has waited the longest for this release so demand is way pent up right now. I don't think it'll be possible to really get below retail msrp for at least the first model year. Hopefully I'm wrong and some of us here manage to.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
See my response to LAKEOM5's thread below. He asked the same thing.

There's long waiting lists at most dealers already and US has waited the longest for this release so demand is way pent up right now. I don't think it'll be possible to really get below retail msrp for at least the first model year. Hopefully I'm wrong and some of us here manage to.
That's what I was afraid of, but then again I can't imagine the waiting lists are anything like it was for the e46 M3, peak of the NASDAQ, etc lol, some dealers had 100 person wait lists, but that was for a $55K car, now we're in a crap economy and there is a limited market of $100K car buyers, then again I don't know how many are even going to be allocated to the U.S.

I was hoping, like any other current BMW model, you can get it for invoice+, but new anticipated models are always MSRP if there is any kind of waitlist.

Probably better to wait for the second model year, let the kinks work out and running manufacturing changes take place and by then probably you're back to invoice+ pricing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I just gave up my #1 spot at my dealer, who sells all cars at MSRP. The other dealer (biggest in midwest) is also selling all M5's at MSRP. Six months - one year and you'll see 3-6% discount off MSRP for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I was hoping, like any other current BMW model, you can get it for invoice+, but new anticipated models are always MSRP if there is any kind of waitlist.

Probably better to wait for the second model year, let the kinks work out and running manufacturing changes take place and by then probably you're back to invoice+ pricing.
This. We have a couple of dealers on M3post that are known for invoice+ pricing. One of them advised that they are doing MSRP on the M5 out of the gate.

I decided that I'm going to wait for at least one model year to pass to let the kinks/gremlins get worked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Don't forget that the car has been out in Europe for quite some time now, so we're already getting the refined product here in the states. Most of the kinks should already be out by now i would assume. But you never know. They're still selling 335s with bad fuel pumps and tackling them on a one by one basis.... Smh
      04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
That's what I was afraid of, but then again I can't imagine the waiting lists are anything like it was for the e46 M3, peak of the NASDAQ, etc lol, some dealers had 100 person wait lists, but that was for a $55K car, now we're in a crap economy and there is a limited market of $100K car buyers, then again I don't know how many are even going to be allocated to the U.S.

Exactly, i just reserved my spot on the list, and there are only 4 people on it. And i don't live in the middle of no where lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
This. We have a couple of dealers on M3post that are known for invoice+ pricing. One of them advised that they are doing MSRP on the M5 out of the gate.

I decided that I'm going to wait for at least one model year to pass to let the kinks/gremlins get worked out.
Im doing the same - back in 2001 I was on a wait list for the E46 M3, but chose to wait until 2002 after one full year of production just to get kinks worked out. For that particular car the engines exploded in some early models bc of some rod bearing issues so Im glad I waited. I dont anticipate those types of issues with this M5 since theyve been accustomed to producing the higher revving engines but I'll wait nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
Don't forget that the car has been out in Europe for quite some time now, so we're already getting the refined product here in the states. Most of the kinks should already be out by now i would assume. But you never know. They're still selling 335s with bad fuel pumps and tackling them on a one by one basis.... Smh
I don't know about that. There are guys on here that took delivery in the last month or so that are talking about some 'clunk' noise issue in the rear. The jury seems to still be out on whether it's an isolated event but more than 1 person on the forum have reported it thus far.

Of course, they still love the car and it's definitely not a deal-killer; but why not wait a little bit longer and most likely get better pricing and better build quality (hopefully)?

Where I live(Atlanta), you won't see $100+k cars all over the place so the 'exclusivity' factor will be there whether I get the first one off the line or the last one. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
I don't know about that. There are guys on here that took delivery in the last month or so that are talking about some 'clunk' noise issue in the rear. The jury seems to still be out on whether it's an isolated event but more than 1 person on the forum have reported it thus far.

Of course, they still love the car and it's definitely not a deal-killer; but why not wait a little bit longer and most likely get better pricing and better build quality (hopefully)?

Where I live(Atlanta), you won't see $100+k cars all over the place so the 'exclusivity' factor will be there whether I get the first one off the line or the last one. YMMV.
I live on the water right across from Manhattan - i swear I see more Bentleys and Lambos than M5s. The M5 definitely is exclusive.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
tzsgti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

People are forgetting that this is not 2001 and not even 2005 when the last gen M5 came out. The $100,000 car market is not what it used to be. Yes you can expect a wait for the first 6 months but honestly after that dealers will be marking them down. IMO the last mass produced BMW that had a real waiting list other then the 1M was the E90 M5. There is really no such thing as a waiting list for over a year anymore. Look at the 2008 M3. At first dealers had a waiting list but 2-3 months later they were flooded.
2013 Porsche 911 C2
2011 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0