M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
sl0westz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e92 m3 ess vt1. AW F10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18
I think ur missing the point Alex. Its the concept of making it more affordable and selling a ton of them to offset r&d. But that being said, you bring up a very valid point that there are a lot less m5s on the road than civics or even 335s, which you can find a $100 intake option out there for, mainly BC there are so many of them on the roads.
The companies aren't losing any money setting the price so high , but they are only not selling them in the US
For example, f10 m5 cost 100k here in the states, doing an akra exhaust and gruppe m intake will be 10k that's 10 percent of the total veh value
On other hand, f10 m5 starts at 2million rmb in china which is about 350k dollars starting, easily gets to 400k after all the fees and options ( there is no lease or finance , cash and carry only and no maintance plan ) and china sells more m cars than any other country in the past 2 years
So for someone that can spend 400k buying a car, an akra and gruppe m intake or hre wheels its nothing to them .
So the aftermarket company will make their money regardless what price they set at. Just because they sell so little in USA, they make all the money overseas
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #24
Mgone
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
Afe makes a Kit... Pretty reasonable $800 or so made of plastic..That being said..

Pay Or make your own parts

Telling a company you don't want to spend the money is as easy as not buying it. The fact we start with a $100,000+ car is why we don't see parts at a reasonable price.. Smaller market for sale as well as harder to get a car for R&D etc etc....

You all have the cars... Make the intakes and see how many you sell... The carbon work on my Gruppe M intakes makes me pop my hood and smile on my otherwise stock engine bay.. Have you guys heard of art?
The down pipes will be another part in the art piece that is under my hood and they will be worth every penny...

To each there own is all you need to know.

Aloha
Alex
Reviving this thread on intakes

I pop my Hood all the time. I did not settle for the expensive intake but dod a few changes on engine bay, i guess to each their own i was think about doing some crazy intakes like the msr or carbon gruppe M intakes although both sound so good specially the mar just the sound makes it so worth it and the numbers claiming ok both are over what? (20-40hp gains) but i did just something out of ordinary just taking it over the edge.
Heres a little comparison on intakes

Last edited by Mgone; 09-03-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Lol...here I am complaining about $550 AFE intake for my 535! $3500???? $hit!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #26
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Lol...here I am complaining about $550 AFE intake for my 535! $3500???? $hit!
I spent $20 on mine..lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I love the sound the MSR makes, but they don't make anything for the X5M and their prices are ridiculous as well...that damn ///M tax
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #28
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Frozen Grey M5

To each is own. I've had the Gruppe M intake and sure it looks nice but it's not any different that the stock setup. The MSR intake pulls so hard over 100mph and Mike I believe you have experienced this first hand. Price wise, if you can't afford $2500 for an intake on a $100k+ car, you bought the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #29
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by middly View Post
Price wise, if you can't afford $2500 for an intake on a $100k+ car, you bought the wrong car.
LMAO...the question is are we really getting TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS worth of parts, materials AND performance gains? No, I bet it's taken them a weekend or so to make, then after that it's all produced in jigs with $100 worth of materials and sold to people like you who buy into those kinds of statements. It's statements like that is why tuners, parts producers, etc charge what they do and why other companies come along later and produce the same for 1/6th the cost. We're not talking about the exclusivity in buying a Ferrari over a Ford, we're talking about some simple carbon fiber or 3" metal tubing.

Lets do theoretical numbers and say 5000 M5's were produced, but only 1000 M5's are actually modified. I'd rather sell an intake for $500, sell it and make $500,000 vs MSR/GruppeM who sells for $2500 to 50 people and make $125,000. But what do I know.

To answer your question...I can afford a $100k because I'm NOT stupid with my money...read any financial books and most of the richest people in the America are also the biggest tightwads. But then again if I was smart enough, I wouldn't own a $100k that only gets 12MPG either. Nevertheless, kudos for using one of the most cliche lines ever...ranks right up there with "you get what you pay for", yet you forget the simple fact that forums like these were first created to solve issues and find fixes for our unreliable $100k cars while there are $20k Honda's that'll last 2x as long. Yes, we get more luxury, but that $80k sure as hell isn't paying for reliability...that's why most people who mod their cars are so worried about their warranty, because they know they'll need it.

Last edited by m5james; 09-06-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #30
Boostedm514
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo m5

Fabworx and undercover performance make a bad ass set up under 2000 shipped with powder coating of choice I can't up load pics for some reason but pm me and I'll email them to whoever wants to see as they have made the best down pipes for the money and have some of the best welding and fabrication on the market !
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #31
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
Quote:
Price wise, if you can't afford $2500 for an intake on a $100k+ car, you bought the wrong car.
LMAO...the question is are we really getting TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS worth of parts, materials AND performance gains? No, I bet it's taken them a weekend or so to make, then after that it's all produced in jigs with $100 worth of materials and sold to people like you who buy into those kinds of statements. It's statements like that is why tuners, parts producers, etc charge what they do and why other companies come along later and produce the same for 1/6th the cost. We're not talking about the exclusivity in buying a Ferrari over a Ford, we're talking about some simple carbon fiber or 3" metal tubing.

Lets do theoretical numbers and say 5000 M5's were produced, but only 1000 M5's are actually modified. I'd rather sell an intake for $500, sell it and make $500,000 vs MSR/GruppeM who sells for $2500 to 50 people and make $125,000. But what do I know.

To answer your question...I can afford a $100k because I'm NOT stupid with my money...read any financial books and most of the richest people in the America are also the biggest tightwads. But then again if I was smart enough, I wouldn't own a $100k that only gets 12MPG either. Nevertheless, kudos for using one of the most cliche lines ever...ranks right up there with "you get what you pay for", yet you forget the simple fact that forums like these were first created to solve issues and find fixes for our unreliable $100k cars while there are $20k Honda's that'll last 2x as long. Yes, we get more luxury, but that $80k sure as hell isn't paying for reliability...that's why most people who mod their cars are so worried about their warranty, because they know they'll need it.
I really don't care what you do, just stop bitchin about how much some of these intakes are. There are plenty of people on this forum that have spent $2-3k on an intake and don't give a shit about your opinion.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #32
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
I really don't care what you do, just stop bitchin about how much some of these intakes are. There are plenty of people on this forum that have spent $2-3k on an intake and don't give a shit about your opinion.
No kidding! Why do people care what I decide to spend money on. It's none of their business and I'll decide what I think is worth my hard earned $. Somebody recently was bitchin at me and others about us buying Akra for our cars. So ridiculous.
      09-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #33
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't care if you spend $300 or $3000 on your intakes, but don't act like it's worth it because you're justifying your overspending. What's it's actually worth and what it's worth to you are two different things...we don't have to agree, but it's not bitching just because I'm not buying into your mantras.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #34
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't care if you spend $300 or $3000 on your intakes, but don't act like it's worth it because you're justifying your overspending. What's it's actually worth and what it's worth to you are two different things...we don't have to agree, but it's not bitching just because I'm not buying into your mantras.
My mantra puts down 700whp, what does your mantra put down?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:49 AM   #35
LOL_AMG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by middly
Quote:
700hp is not cheap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #36
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5TXGuy
Quote:
No kidding! Why do people care what I decide to spend money on. It's none of their business and I'll decide what I think is worth my hard earned $. Somebody recently was bitchin at me and others about us buying Akra for our cars. So ridiculous.
Someone did bitch about my engine bay and said that i wasted my $3000+ on engine bay. But when i pop my hood everyone breaks necks looking at it. I guess its really what you think its worth spending at the end. And we will always have opinions by others. It's just wether we take it in or we ignore their opinion. ??[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #37
Mgone
Banned
Rep

I know 99% of members will say it was a waste but oh well.

Ps. Back to intake debate
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #38
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
S63 vs S63tu, 5300lbs vs 4800lbs...I'll never get the same power levels or numbers you guys do. Did you dyno before and after the intake to get a HP per $ ratio or did you just buy because thinking "it's expensive, so it must be good." I've got a plastic straw for you, it's flexible and it's got an ///M badge on it...PM me for pricing. It's not a finely tuned $25k engine, $5k custom made precision turbo charger, etc...at the end of the day it's about 8' of 3" tubing with some bends and a pair of eBay cone filters. Not to say I'd buy it if they did, but they don't even make them for the X5M, so ultimately I'll have to design one myself anyways if I wanna do something different than simple drop-in filters. You're happy with it though, you get to hear cool turbo sounds I don't, so enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #39
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
See, you don't get the point here. "What its actually worth...", that will always be subjective. You may not find value in something I do. I wouldn't pay $25k for a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Extreme, some will pay over $100k for that vehicle. I'm not on their forums telling them what you are saying here.
      09-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #40
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I completely get it, but we're not talking family heirlooms here. I'm talking about tangible value, not perceived value. Anyways, moving on.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #41
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgone View Post
I know 99% of members will say it was a waste but oh well.

Ps. Back to intake debate
Damn ! That is sick !
Is that airbrushed or is that a wrap ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #42
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Are RPI scoops available for our cars yet?
The "RPI Scoops" is actually a part that a few companies make as well.
You can get them from AFE Intake company.
I purchased a few of them for my clients last year. They have been out for sometime now.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...4L&&brandID=87

The link shows carbon fiber but you can get them in metal (cheaper in cost) and paint them any color you chose.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #43
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Damn ! That is sick !
Is that airbrushed or is that a wrap ?

Hydro-dip + 8 laying of coating + flakes + air brush
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #44
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgone View Post
Hydro-dip + 8 laying of coating + flakes + air brush
Very cool !
I have a Chevy truck that has a full custom paint job, tons of airbrushing and whatnot. I can appreciate the work you put into that.
Appreciate 0