Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool Video: BMW F10 M5 Suspension Put Through Paces by Laguna Seca Hotlap

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW F10 M5 Suspension Put Through Paces by Laguna Seca Hotlap
COMMENTS

Watch championship-winning racer Scott Pruett in the 2013 BMW M5 Sedan as the tires, brakes, chassis, and powertrain work together to give him the ultimate grip, speed, and control of the 2013 BMW M5 at Laguna Seca.

Here are multiple angles to observe the precise steering and consistent placement of the aluminum-intensive, multi-link rear suspension of the new M5.

Be sure to catch our recent short-term tester review of the F10 M5, if you haven't already, and here are some photos of the 2013 M5 from the Laguna Seca press launch.

2013 F10 M5 Track Press Launch at Laguna Seca

Press Photos from Laguna Seca

For real life looks at the other M5 production colors, see our OFFICIAL F10 M5 Color Photo Threads Master List

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I just wanna see the bottom right driver's view of the video.
Anyone have it?
      08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.
x2!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

nylon -> aramid -> sulfur modified twaron -> sulfron -> banded at zero -> m light allow wheel -> m adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Saw that too, also didn't realize how much the brake line moves around. Almost looked at times, it would touch the hot caliper.
      08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
+3 ! ~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
interesting. This car has so much torque coming out of those corners.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

What an amazing perspective! Awesome video.
      08-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
M3chaser
M3chaser
Rep
Drives: 14 M50, iX1

Wow! This is the first time I catch any car under the skirt

Nice view and what a show,piece of art.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3chaser View Post
Nice view and what a show,piece of art.
Works great on the track. Seems like they didn't test it enough on public roads, though... Many report that the rear coil springs don't work well on rough roads, speed bumps, etc., and BMW said they would replace them this coming December. I think BMW needs to diversify their testing of these cars a little more!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
johnca
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 Slow CSL

That's amazing to see other perspective from the car...
      08-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
M3chaser
M3chaser
Rep
Drives: 14 M50, iX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Works great on the track. Seems like they didn't test it enough on public roads, though... Many report that the rear coil springs don't work well on rough roads, speed bumps, etc., and BMW said they would replace them this coming December. I think BMW needs to diversify their testing of these cars a little more!
Didn't know this is the case for the current M5.

Hope they thrash the F80 test mules hard before going into production, cos that's going to be my new ride...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Quite surprised the M5's turbos did not overheat. They most likely added an oil cooler as I heard (and even saw on this forum too) that the turbos overheat so easily, sometimes in a matter of minutes, if the ambient temperature is high enough. This is also one of those things that worry me about the new M3. The M5 is not really a track car, so it may get away with a turbo that overheats, but M3 is meant to be driven in track. With the current M3, you can drive until you run out of gas, nothing will happen. Maybe the pads will heat up a bi t, but that takes an extremely bad abuse and even with that it takes more than half an hour of non-stop usage (which can be remedied on the spot for very cheap), but this goes for any car, maybe even Porsche.
Would you mind linking to this so called "overheat" issue?

I have driven the X6M at Road Atlanta in over 95 degrees with 95% humidity and never overheated. I have driven this M5 in Spain in a heat baked 95 degree track and never overheated. The turbos are cooled in many ways as is the engine. It is run in death valley and tested in a specialized facility to make sure everything is up to par. Considering that these cars were run non-stop for 3 days in a row by journalists and race car drivers with no issues I find the turbo overheat thing to be nonsense.

It's people that spread rumors just to hate on the movement of the modern car that are the issue rather than the car, the new M5/M6 are so much better than the previous models it is laughable.

There was a single instance of high altitudes, low oil and plain old abuse that caused an event but that is not the norm and any car would have issues with those circumstances.
      08-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Quite surprised the M5's turbos did not overheat. They most likely added an oil cooler as I heard (and even saw on this forum too) that the turbos overheat so easily, sometimes in a matter of minutes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul

I have driven the X6M at Road Atlanta in over 95 degrees with 95% humidity and never overheated. I have driven this M5 in Spain in a heat baked 95 degree track and never overheated. The turbos are cooled in many ways as is the engine. It is run in death valley and tested in a specialized facility to make sure everything is up to par. Considering that these cars were run non-stop for 3 days in a row by journalists and race car drivers with no issues I find the turbo overheat thing to be nonsense.

It's people that spread rumors just to hate on the movement of the modern car that are the issue rather than the car, the new M5/M6 are so much better than the previous models it is laughable.

There was a single instance of high altitudes, low oil and plain old abuse that caused an event but that is not the norm and any car would have issues with those circumstances.
Great way of clarifying things sir!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

People spreading rumors? You mean people like our moderator on this website and CAR magazine journalists?

Limp mode on second lap:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
People spreading rumors? You mean people like our moderator on this website and CAR magazine journalists?

Limp mode on second lap:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071
In both situations it was high altitude and high heat. Did anyone ever read the codes to see what was the trigger? No, so for all we know in these two isolated instances the limp mode may have been a function of emissions, fuel starvation or the turbos boost pressure going too a level deemed to high which was done to compensate for the the thinner hot air.

My guess would be the latter as in one of those tests an AMG had the same issue. From my experience the E60 M5 had issues on heat baked tracks with short straights and that was an NA engine.

Outside these two situations (one also reportedly had been low on oil IIRC) there have been no noted issues and honestly in Spain it was blistering hot and the cars would have had issues if heat was the lone inducer of the "limp mode"

Two cars in probably 2,000 track occurrences for the new M5 is nothing. Doing 25 laps at full tilt on the 'Ring with no issues is what its about and these are street cars, not full on race cars- they never were.
      08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
In both situations it was high altitude and high heat. Did anyone ever read the codes to see what was the trigger? No, so for all we know in these two isolated instances the limp mode may have been a function of emissions, fuel starvation or the turbos boost pressure going too a level deemed to high which was done to compensate for the the thinner hot air.

My guess would be the latter as in one of those tests an AMG had the same issue. From my experience the E60 M5 had issues on heat baked tracks with short straights and that was an NA engine.

Outside these two situations (one also reportedly had been low on oil IIRC) there have been no noted issues and honestly in Spain it was blistering hot and the cars would have had issues if heat was the lone inducer of the "limp mode"

Two cars in probably 2,000 track occurrences for the new M5 is nothing. Doing 25 laps at full tilt on the 'Ring with no issues is what its about and these are street cars, not full on race cars- they never were.
Doesn't matter whether it was high altitude and high heat. Should people in Denver now not buy this car because it is not rated for that altitude? You are speculating on reasons. Actually, it doesn't really matter what the reason was. Car should not go to limp mode. Not sure how your experience with naturally aspirated V10 is really relevant here. It is FI vs N/A and different cars all together. You will always find cars that don't have any problems, just like there are plenty of N54 engines that don't have any HPFP issues at all or early S54s with no rod bearing issues.

The reason why you are not seeing any issues yet is because this car is barely out. Only a handful of people received the car in US and Europe. It is just now hitting the dealership.

I sincerely hope it will not be another N54-deja-vu issue.
Appreciate 0