Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
chocobo1104
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

740i VS M5 question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi folks! its been awhile since I posted here in bimmerpost... But a very important question came up so here goes...

My friend who has been driving the bmw 740i (f01) recently couldnt drive it anymore due to some problems in his car. Long story short, he wants to replace his car with something else other than 7 series and has been asking me for my opinion and the first thing I said was M5!!!!

I told him its a beast of a car which can accomodate both luxury and sporty drivers. However, hes been driving his 7 series for quite some time, that I have to question how different the M5 and 740i is NOT in terms of sporty driving and speed, but how civil and comfortable the M5 is. The things Im looking for are cabin noise, ride quality (in comfort mode for m5) and general interior space.

I know the M5 is sporty car FIRST then comfortable car second, but from the reviews Ive read and seen all says that its VERY comfortable. Im just not sure how much compared to 740i.

Hes very interested in M5 and wants to test drive it soon, but from where he live, there are no m5 test drives available... (south korea) I have to ask the good people of bimmerpost for some quality input regarding this matter. Thanks for reading and thanks again for reply!!!

P.S from technical point of view, what are the fundamental differences between 5 series and 7 series? What does 7 series have that 5 dosent?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
aggies55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 Lix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobo1104 View Post
I have to question how different the M5 and 740i is NOT in terms of sporty driving and speed, but how civil and comfortable the M5 is. The things Im looking for are cabin noise, ride quality (in comfort mode for m5) and general interior space.

P.S from technical point of view, what are the fundamental differences between 5 series and 7 series? What does 7 series have that 5 dosent?
I currently own a 750iL X and the F10 M5. I have had several 750's and m5's throughout the years. I am impressed with the ability of the M5 to become civil and comfortable with all the settings in comfort modes. These are however very different cars. You will never get the M5 to be as smooth and comfortable as the 7. The M5 is pretty quiet on the inside. You can hear a bit of engine noise but that could be coming from the stereo pipping it in.

The interior room is substantially more in the 7. I am 7 Feet tall and still able to comfortably drive the 5 but no one can sit behind me. Not even a child. In the 750, someone my size can fit behind me. BMW does an amazing job with driver leg room across all their cars. I could even drive my wife's M3.

Obviously the power in the M5 is superior. There is a big difference in the transmission (more thinking required on the M5) Most of the gadgets are available on both. One thing not available on the M5 was adaptive cruise. The M1 and M2 buttons took their place and who want to use cruise on an M5.

Hope this helps, If you have specific questions PM me.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm also coming from a 2009 750 to the m5, and having been in one the refinement and luxury is not going to be a disappointment for your friend and the up in power will be significant
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
997usa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 - Silverstone

thats great to hear - i ordered a '13 M5 for my wife (ED delivery Oct 18) - she is coming out of an F01 740i - it may be too much for her, but it will be fun for me
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997usa
thats great to hear - i ordered a '13 M5 for my wife (ED delivery Oct 18) - she is coming out of an F01 740i - it may be too much for her, but it will be fun for me
Hmm...the E60 M5 was certainly not a car to order for the wife and hope she likes it. It was such an engaging drive - not a luxury cruiser at any time.

Perhaps the F10 will be a different experience. I sure hope not though. :-)
      08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
aggies55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 Lix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Hmm...the E60 M5 was certainly not a car to order for the wife and hope she likes it. It was such an engaging drive - not a luxury cruiser at any time.

Perhaps the F10 will be a different experience. I sure hope not though. :-)
This is VERY accurate. I am loving the F10 M5 but it is nothing close to the 7 series in comfort. That being said, it is way more fun to drive and the power is UNBELIEVABLE. The transmission and torque are much better than the E60.

It would scare me to have my wife drive this car. (just me)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
997usa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 - Silverstone

i would assume that in comfort setting etc you can 'tune down' the beast? I have the pleasure of owning a 991 S and you can drive that car like a normal car or turn it into a race car with a couple buttons.
Appreciate 0