M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #23
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Unbelievable! Not sure I've ever seen an M5 broken that bad. Very happy that you walked away from it all.
      06-27-2019, 04:06 AM   #24
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BSMM5 View Post
I was driving behind a corvette that blew a transmission line... started spewing fluid and smoke everywhere.

I was going about 70, I attempted to speed up and switch lanes to get passed him. Rear end kicked ALL the way out, I spun about 140 degrees from the middle lane into the center guard rail, flipped the vehicle 3 times into oncoming lanes.

Luckily no on coming traffic was present. All side airbags deployed and the cabin did not crumple at all. The roll was pretty violent and included spinning as well due to the nature of hitting the guard rail. I landed on my roof, looked around and didn't have a scratch or bruise. I climbed out unscathed. Saying some prayers today that I got to go home to my family.

Traction control was OFF... I have driven with it off plenty of times in dry conditions, but the combination of tranny fluid was too much. It didn't even cross my mind that the fluid would cause that when it happened. Thank god I was only going 70, as I have been known to drive much faster than that. Street conditions Vary and it's safe to say I will be getting a dedicated track vehicle with a cage and harness when I get the itch again.

I think 700 HP was just too much for me to handle as a daily driver... so much time behind the wheel with my habits was an accident waiting to happen.

Just giving this write up to anyone else who likes to drive hard, there's nothing wrong with it, just know that conditions can vary and you would never know.
was this the m5 u just got and was thinking was slow or do i have you confused with another member?
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      06-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #25
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopeeco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you seriously had someone watching over you...

that being said, i see zero reason to drive with traction off.
I totally agree. I recently had a minor wreck with traction control off and I got hammered for not knowing how to drive the car. Now we have an experienced driver that rolled three times.

It can happen to anyone with these cars, especially when traction control is off.

I have learned my lesson.

Glad this guy walked away. It is pretty incredible to see the damage to that car.
Exactly, that's why my BMW instructor said even he has it on when drive on the street, because you can never predict street conditions.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #26
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I'm very happy your ok and safe. sad to see the beast in that condition. question though. why do you say 700 is too much as a daily. its your right foot that does the damage. when I had that much it wasnt a issue for me
I said 700 hp is too much of a daily for ME. Other people may have no problem... you're right, it comes down to your right foot, the real mistake was taking TC.

Even though there was nothing I could've done to prevent this, tranny fluid was ice that I didn't see.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #27
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you seriously had someone watching over you...

that being said, i see zero reason to drive with traction off.
The TC in this car is extremely eager (for insanely good reason). So if you are competing (I wasn't.... at least at the moment I spun out) or datalogging for a tuner you have to have TC off or it retards ignition and you don't get a good pull.

Even MDM mode can leave a few tenths of a second on of a pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #28
M5-F10-Imola Red
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 F10

Wow! Glad to hear you are ok! Great to know the M5 is so safe!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #29
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Quote:
I was driving behind a corvette that blew a transmission line... started spewing fluid and smoke everywhere.

I was going about 70, I attempted to speed up and switch lanes to get passed him. Rear end kicked ALL the way out, I spun about 140 degrees from the middle lane into the center guard rail, flipped the vehicle 3 times into oncoming lanes.

Luckily no on coming traffic was present. All side airbags deployed and the cabin did not crumple at all. The roll was pretty violent and included spinning as well due to the nature of hitting the guard rail. I landed on my roof, looked around and didn't have a scratch or bruise. I climbed out unscathed. Saying some prayers today that I got to go home to my family.

Traction control was OFF... I have driven with it off plenty of times in dry conditions, but the combination of tranny fluid was too much. It didn't even cross my mind that the fluid would cause that when it happened. Thank god I was only going 70, as I have been known to drive much faster than that. Street conditions Vary and it's safe to say I will be getting a dedicated track vehicle with a cage and harness when I get the itch again.

I think 700 HP was just too much for me to handle as a daily driver... so much time behind the wheel with my habits was an accident waiting to happen.

Just giving this write up to anyone else who likes to drive hard, there's nothing wrong with it, just know that conditions can vary and you would never know.
was this the m5 u just got and was thinking was slow or do i have you confused with another member?
Yes, that's me. I still standby the statement that when I got the M5 it felt very sluggish compared to my 535i.

After changing the spark plugs, DPs, sport cup 2s, and dyno tuning it to 650... it was the very opposite of slow.

Even still, 650 HP isn't enough power to completely 360 you like it did on a dry highway. There were other conditions at play. I think even with TC on, my vehicle would've had a wild time trying to save itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #30
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Yes, that's me. I still standby the statement that when I got the M5 it felt very sluggish compared to my 535i.

After changing the spark plugs, DPs, sport cup 2s, and dyno tuning it to 650... it was the very opposite of slow.

Even still, 650 HP isn't enough power to completely 360 you like it did on a dry highway. There were other conditions at play. I think even with TC on, my vehicle would've had a wild time trying to save itself.
I agree, the car would still be wrecked with or without TC.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #31
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Glad you are OK and what a great car, your rear tyres look illegal as very worn on the outer edges, appreciate they look like Cup 2s but are they a different type on the front?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Glad you are OK and what a great car, your rear tyres look illegal as very worn on the outer edges, appreciate they look like Cup 2s but are they a different type on the front?
Sport cup 2s and yes they were ready to switch out. I had actually put some new R888rs in my cart to order just before getting in the car that night.

The fronts are stock MPSS
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #33
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sport cup 2s and yes they were ready to switch out. I had actually put some new R888rs in my cart to order just before getting in the car that night.

I am no expert but I wonder if having the same tyres all round would have helped
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #34
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am no expert but I wonder if having the same tyres all round would have helped
I'm sure it couldn't have hurt, but I don't think it would've saved the car. Plenty of people run different tires front and rear in RWD vehicles.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60089.00
      06-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #35
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you are OK though amazed you were not hurt

What do you fancy next
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #36
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad you are OK though amazed you were not hurt

What do you fancy next
Something with AWD
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50
      06-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #37
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
To the OP - My 2 cents and 2 takeaways -

First and foremost, I'm happy you made it out of this with just a lost car rather than losing something else. To your original comment and why you sent this out to everyone. "Giving this write up to those who like to drive their car hard".

# 1 - If you like like to drive your car hard, you have to first be responsible. Responsible for both you and others on the road. In this case, it appears you were on the surface. However as you stated, those tires needed replacing. As you also stated, new tires probably wouldn't have helped in this case but had someone been injured or worse, I bet house tires would have been a factor legally for you.

My take away #1 - Keep good rubber on your car. Something my dad told and taught me from my first car at 16 years of age. Not implying you were never taught that, just simply confirming it's always a good practice.

My take away #2 - I've been on this forum for a few years and owned multiple really fast cars. I have several friends and associates with M5's. None of them ride around with traction control off. No one on this forum drives around with traction control off. At least not those I know on the Forum. Never drive with traction control off unless you're in a closed environment.

Now I know the negative comments are coming but again, these are my take always and your post helped me and others to stay safe. Godspeed my friend. Good luck with your next build.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50
      06-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #38
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Quote:
To the OP - My 2 cents and 2 takeaways -

First and foremost, I'm happy you made it out of this with just a lost car rather than losing something else. To your original comment and why you sent this out to everyone. "Giving this write up to those who like to drive their car hard".

# 1 - If you like like to drive your car hard, you have to first be responsible. Responsible for both you and others on the road. In this case, it appears you were on the surface. However as you stated, those tires needed replacing. As you also stated, new tires probably wouldn't have helped in this case but had someone been injured or worse, I bet house tires would have been a factor legally for you.

My take away #1 - Keep good rubber on your car. Something my dad told and taught me from my first car at 16 years of age. Not implying you were never taught that, just simply confirming it's always a good practice.

My take away #2 - I've been on this forum for a few years and owned multiple really fast cars. I have several friends and associates with M5's. None of them ride around with traction control off. No one on this forum drives around with traction control off. At least not those I know on the Forum. Never drive with traction control off unless you're in a closed environment.

Now I know the negative comments are coming but again, these are my take always and your post helped me and others to stay safe. Godspeed my friend. Good luck with your next build.
No negative comments, from me at least. Everything you said is on the point. I learned a serious lesson in this. I'm 24 years old, so a bit young for most people owning this car. The fastest car I ever owned before this was an E92 with 400 HP. While its fast, it's no where near on the level of this vehicle. I respected this vehicles power but definitely did not have years of experience in less powerful vehicles leading up to it like I probably should have.

I've already made the plans for my E36 build to spend the money on driving school and getting a lot of time on the track while I work my way back up.

In all honestly, no one taught me about the tires thing at a young age like that. I knew they were important and I had read on forums and videos that they were the most important thing on the vehicle and mine 100% needed replacing. 2nd and biggest mistake, traction control off. I underestimated this vehicle with TC off and paid the price, a small price nonetheless. All of this combined with the slippery surface was the recipe for the wreck.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50
      06-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #39
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Also - I have a pair of OEM downpipes and an engine cover for sale.

I had a PTP turbo blanket as well but I couldn't get the hood open at the yard (it was crumpled shut). If I can get a crowbar (or a forklift) I might be able to get it. Just put that in last weekend...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I'm sure it couldn't have hurt, but I don't think it would've saved the car. Plenty of people run different tires front and rear in RWD vehicles.
That's almost certainly true,once you hit that oil spray trail and turned the wheel with throttle to overtake you'd be a passenger even if you had new tyres on,front and back.
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      06-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #41
Justin@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Glad you are ok!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #42
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

All I cab say is WOW... glad you're ok!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #43
monmart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray X3 M Comp

Hey, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're alright. Wow, looks like the body panels completely flew off and there was a fire of some sort. If I didn't read your post I would of thought this was a fatal crash by the looks of the photos.

I've owned my 2015 for just over a week now and the power can be terrifying just with stock. I'm still a bit shaky sometimes after I get out of the car. I've never turned off TC since owning it. I can't imagine 700hp.

Pretty scary thing that happened. Take care brother. And guys please be careful.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #44
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Crazy
Appreciate 0