M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-08-2023, 11:57 AM   #1
slowbutsure
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M5C 12 135I DCT 15 MACANS

going to track, recommendations for brake pads?

Hello!
I have the 2014 m5 comp
all stock.
going to laguna at monterey. I know our cars are heavy but capable. I plan to go to track maybe 1x/ a year. rest is street use. I don't plan to go crazy on this car on the track. I plan to change brake fluid to high temp.
Can I stay stock pads for now and see how it goes or change out pads? Any recommendations for track and street? Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

If the Pagid RSL29 is available, it is a great pad for HPDE
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      08-15-2023, 09:08 PM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

I did a two day event on stock pads. It's fine as long as you aren't beating on them super hard. Probably will need to lift some on any longer straights.

I'd highly suggest doing what I did and have separate pads for just the front. I run D2500s all around on the street and swap the fronts to DS1.11s for track. The fronts take a significant majority of the heat and are easy/quick to swap out.

Key is to pick a pad line that allows that. Like Ferodo, Carbotech can, not sure on Pagid or some of the others.

Last edited by vafan13; 08-15-2023 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #4
jasonn32
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbutsure View Post
Hello!
I have the 2014 m5 comp
all stock.
going to laguna at monterey. I know our cars are heavy but capable. I plan to go to track maybe 1x/ a year. rest is street use. I don't plan to go crazy on this car on the track. I plan to change brake fluid to high temp.
Can I stay stock pads for now and see how it goes or change out pads? Any recommendations for track and street? Thank you in advance
Hello! It's great to hear that you have a 2014 M5 Comp and are planning to take it to the track at Laguna in Monterey. Your car is indeed capable, and with proper preparation, it can handle track days while still being suitable for street use. Regarding the brake pads, since you're not planning to push the car to its limits on the track, you can start with the stock pads and see how they perform. If you find that they're not providing enough stopping power or are experiencing excessive fade, you might consider upgrading to a performance-oriented pad that balances track performance with street usability. Some popular options include the EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk HP Plus pads, which are known for their improved performance and durability. However, it's always a good idea to consult with experienced track enthusiasts or a trusted mechanic who can provide personalized recommendations based on your driving style and specific track-day goals. Enjoy your track day at Laguna and have a fantastic time with your M5 Comp!
Appreciate 0