M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

01-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

ED delivery questions

Does anyone have Simone's email address? I believe that is the person in charge of all ED's. If not her, is there a better person to direct all the questions?
      01-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Feel free to ask questions here, that's what the board is for. Otherwise the ED department phone number is 800-932-0831 and email is bmweuropeandelivery@bmwna.com.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Feel free to ask questions here, that's what the board is for. Otherwise the ED department phone number is 800-932-0831 and email is bmweuropeandelivery@bmwna.com.
Thank you for the info. I apologize for not replying. I think I have my notifications disabled.
      01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Before I ask the questions I wanted to let you know that my plan is to pick up the car mid April. (Need to make sure Stelvio pass is open)

Here are the questions.

1. Once I place the order I know I am given 3 possible dates to pick up the car. How far apart are these dates from each other?
2. I plan on staying in EU for 8 days driving down, around and back to Germany.
For those that traveled couple thousand miles, how did you locate hotels along the route? Did you have to pre-book or was it just spare of the moment "let's sleep here" type of deal?
3. Based on what factors did you plan your route? I would love to see some beautiful scenery, snap some photos, try some new food, but not sure how to pre-plan all of it.
4. I would love to have my break-in service done in back in Germany and then head to Nurburgring. How hard is it to pre-schedule something like this and how did you choose your station?
5. Does BMW ED help with any pre-planning?
6. How much time is needed to explore The Welt?
7. Does BMW fix any rock chips prior to delivery in the States?
8. How do you book your drop off location?
9. What is the estimate of Euros that you brought along with you?
Was cash a better option than plastic?
As you can probably tell I like pre-planning everythign and know what to expect, hence the level of stress is going up as I do not know what to expect.

Thank you so much to those that spend time on replying.
Would love to buy lunch for whoever is in OC and did European Delivery to pick your brain a little, but if you can answer here that works as well.
Thanks
Btw, Im ordering Azurite Black with either BLk or SO interior (not sure on that one).
      01-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...mra=ls&t=m&z=6
      01-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Before I ask the questions I wanted to let you know that my plan is to pick up the car mid April. (Need to make sure Stelvio pass is open)

Here are the questions.

1. Once I place the order I know I am given 3 possible dates to pick up the car. How far apart are these dates from each other?
For those that traveled couple thousand miles, how did you locate hotels along the route? Did you have to pre-book or was it just spare of the moment "let's sleep here" type of deal?
3. Based on what factors did you plan your route? I would love to see some beautiful scenery, snap some photos, try some new food, but not sure how to pre-plan all of it.
4. I would love to have my break-in service done in back in Germany and then head to Nurburgring. How hard is it to pre-schedule something like this and how did you choose your station?
As you can probably tell I like pre-planning everythign and know what to expect, hence the level of stress is going up as I do not know what to expect.

Would love to buy lunch for whoever is in OC and did European Delivery to pick your brain a little, but if you can answer here that works as well.
Thanks
Btw, Im ordering Azurite Black with either BLk or SO interior (not sure on that one).
1. I requested the dates, and all three were available. I ended up picking them in order of what I preferred. I chose dates approximately a week from day 1 to day 3 apart.
2. We used a combo of guidebooks and the internet. After choosing them, we cross-checked against the various ED forums regarding parking (secure if you have a M5) to make our final choices.
3. Check out the ED forums for advice on this...there are folks that spend a lot of time traveling that can help out. For our ED it had to be alps, driving a couple passes, Lake Como, and down to the Italian/French riviera. Also, be aware that drop-off in Italy someone will drive your car back to Germany.
4. Didn't do my service in Europe, but there are folks here who did. They can explain how to do so and submit the expense for reimbursement.
5. Not really. They have a travel co. that can help you and you'll get info in the mail regarding the discounted Lufthansa tickets.
6. Depends on what you are interested in seeing. Just the Welt? The BMW factory? The museum? If all three, I'd say two days above and beyond your delivery date.
7. If they are large enough to be noticed on the final drop-off inspection, yes.
8. Look at the list of the drop-off sites and send them an email to set a date and time. You'll need to let BMW know the location and date. A couple days before drop-off email/call the location confirm.
9. That is completely personal. We don't bring any euros with us from the US. Just a debit card, AMEX, and MasterCard. Once we get to the destination airport we'll withdraw some cash to have on-hand...and then get money as needed at the cash machines in the cities we visit.
10. Need to have some cash, but with a couple cards (call ahead to your banks to tell them you are traveling abroad) you'll be good.

Azurite black with Sakhir Orange would be sick. I considered that, but have had all dark cars...so I went Alpine White with Sakhir Orange. I'm in the OC, feel free to PM me to discuss. Coffee and beer work too.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post

Here are the questions.

Thanks
Stelvio for April is very optimistic thinking . It usually re-opens some time around mid-late May (depending on weather conditions you might even see sporadic closures until early June)

The following website might be helpful in tracking Stelvio
http://www.bormio3.it/passo_dello_st...a_chiusura.php

Also the following site has info on all Alp passes (in German, but you likely get the gist)
http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenser...penpaesse.html
also
http://www.alpenpaesse.co/

In general many of the alp passes will still be closed around April , but you might get lucky with some of them
Grossglockner (http://www.grossglockner.at/en/service/) is a great road to drive, Silvretta is very nice too.
Stelvio has received a lot of press since TopGear "discovered" it, it's still a great driving road but tends to be very busy on nice days with lots of bikes, cars, slow drivers etc.
For driving pleasure I'd rate Silvretta and Grossglockner higher (better surface, faster stretches). If you do Stelvio you may also want to consider driving the Umbria pass on your way down which drops you into Switzerland.

Below is a list of pointers from my ED and maybe some of them are of use.
I have a separate page for each day (5) , we covered Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland.
Didn't make it down to France as it's a lot of driving and we wanted to do a number of passes and stay off the highway until it's broken in.

Below is a list of possibly interesting resources and pointers.

Basically we drove from Munich to Zell am See, Grossglockner, Lake Garda,
Stelvio, Umbria, Reschen, Silvretta, Garmisch, Kochelsee etc
The routes on Google Maps will show that we probably did 85% alp road/backroad driving.

This should make for a great break-in tour as the constant change in revs and up and down
the mountains helps quite a bit to aid in oil distribution and settling in

ED Pointers / Resources
http://jmh.titanpad.com/10

Various Tours around Munich
http://jmh.titanpad.com/14

Day 1 (Munich ED Delivery / M Studio Tour / Dingolfing Plant Tour)
http://jmh.titanpad.com/3

Day 2 (Munich to Zell am See via Thierbach/Kitzbuehel)
http://jmh.titanpad.com/5

Day 3 (Zell am See / Grossglockner / Lake Garda)
http://jmh.titanpad.com/4

Day 4 (Lake Garda to Silvretta via Stelvio/Umbria/Reschen)
http://jmh.titanpad.com/6

Day 5 (Silvretta to Garmisch)
http://jmh.titanpad.com/7

To answer a few of your questions:
>>1. Once I place the order I know I am given 3 possible dates to pick up the car. How far >>apart are these dates from each other?

As others have already said you get to pick a few dates (based on your preferences)

>>2. I plan on staying in EU for 8 days driving down, around and back to Germany.
>>For those that traveled couple thousand miles, how did you locate hotels along the
>>route? Did you have to pre-book or was it just spare of the moment "let's sleep here" type
>>of deal?

Depending on time of thenyear (April should be low volume) you can get away with ad-hoc
bookings.
I'd suggest to at least book a few places in the larger locations. You can always cancel
with 24hrs notice.
You can also research whether they have a garage/secure parking etc.

>>3. Based on what factors did you plan your route? I would love to see some beautiful
>>scenery, snap some photos, try some new food, but not sure how to pre-plan all of it.

See above. I picked my route based on scenery and staying off the highway but rather do mountain roads.

>>4. I would love to have my break-in service done in back in Germany and then head to
>>Nurburgring. How hard is it to pre-schedule something like this and how did you choose
>>your station?

You should be able to schedule a break in service at least in Munich at the factory dealership(s) with a few days notice.
However note driving to Nuerbuergring from Munich a long haul (+6-7hrs) and it's not guaranteed you actually get to drive the Ring after all (rented out, closed due to testing/accident etc)
As much as people want to drive it I caution folks as it might just become a "got the T-Shirt" drive.

>>5. Does BMW ED help with any pre-planning?

For money yes ...
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...wRedirect.aspx

But your best resource is really the ED Forum on Bimmerfest. Lots of knowledgeable folks
on there.

>>6. How much time is needed to explore The Welt?

In my opinion I'd say the Welt shouldn't take longer than half a day (after all how long can you stare at a few cars )
I'd recommend to also visit the Museum (2-3hrs), take the tour of the Welt which also gives you insight into the logistics side of the Welt.
For a factory tour you can either take the one in Munich (3 series) or schedule a private tour in Dingolfing (5/6/7 series and M5/M6) which in my opinion is much more interesting as it takes you off the beaten path and is more personal .
Dingolfing is appr 1.5hrs drive from Munich (and you can pass by the ///M GmbH for a phot op ) . The tour itself is appr 2.5hrs (lots of walking)

http://www.bmw-besuchen.com/en/

>>7. Does BMW fix any rock chips prior to delivery in the States?

To some extent. Scrapes/Scratches etc will be fixed at the VPC . Small rock chips
usually don't get fixed at the VPC but sometimes your dealer will fix them.

>>8. How do you book your drop off location?

You call them a few days ahead once you know when/where you are planning to drop off

>>9. What is the estimate of Euros that you brought along with you?
>>Was cash a better option than plastic?

Europe is still more of cash place for smaller amounts . As credit cards take a good
percentage in commission most merchants prefer cash for anything less 50 euros.
So having 200-300 in cash is a good idea.
You can always use your debit card to draw cash.
You also may want to see if you can get a chip card enabled credit card as many gas stations will not take your standard credit card. If you have to fill up at night with not attendant you'll need it

Hth,
Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Christ, I never got notified that you guys responded. Checked my settings and everything looks fine. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Beer or coffee sounds great as well. I will pm you in the next week or so. Thanks a ton.
      01-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

If it doesn't rain this Saturday, I'll be at Cars and Coffee. More than glad to share my ED experience. We had a few gotchas on our trip, but in the end, everything worked out fine. But I think my wife is still recovering from some of the gotcha experiences. (i.e. See below for Stelvio pass in early November - first snow of the entire year and, of course, it falls on my ED dates when I only have summer performance tires.)
Attached Images

01-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5huang View Post
If it doesn't rain this Saturday, I'll be at Cars and Coffee. More than glad to share my ED experience. We had a few gotchas on our trip, but in the end, everything worked out fine. But I think my wife is still recovering from some of the gotcha experiences. (i.e. See below for Stelvio pass in early November - first snow of the entire year and, of course, it falls on my ED dates when I only have summer performance tires.)
It will most likely rain, but you never know. Pm me your number if you dont mind and I will text you Friday night.
      01-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5huang View Post
How was the car/tires in those weather conditions?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
How was the car/tires in those weather conditions?
For most of the way, I had to keep it under 25 MPH. The next day I tried to go back up the Stelvio pass and couldn't do it. The tires wouldn't grip and we slid inches away from the guard railing at 5,000 ft+. So I had to turn around and figure another way out of the Alps.

In the future if there's snow on the roads, I'll avoid traveling or get snow tires.