M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Rear CP sway bar for the M5

I've just brought home the rear CP sway bar and been able to compare it to the standard bar from my 11/2012 manufacture date M5. I think I've wasted my $200 on a bar that is almost identical to the stock bar. The new CP bar has a middle diameter of .830" compared to the stock .840". The larger diameter of .900" on the CP bar now extends 2 3/4" toward the center from the mounting bracket on each side, versus 1 3/4" for the stock bar. On a car of this size I doubt I will be able to feel any difference from the rear CP bar compared to the stock bar. The CP bar is the upper bar in the picture and if you look closely you can see the slight extension of the larger diameter from each mount compared to stock. Possibly for street use the CP bars, both front and rear, will show some benefit, but if you want track performance perhaps the Dinan bars will be the better way to go. There just doesn't seem to be much stiffness increase with the CP bars, especially the rear. The roads here are just becoming clear enough and warm enough that I'll be able to drive the M5 with some traction, so hopefully a ride report in the next weeks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thanks for posting. This makes up my mind. I'm getting the Dinan anti-roll bars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Anyone else try out the CP sway bars? Based on this write-up on rear sway bars it seems that buying only the front is worthwhile ( http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946237 ). Would buying only the front throw off the suspension a lot? I plan on keeping stock ride height (since the spacers make it look lower).

Thanks, Used2Be
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Would buying only the front throw off the suspension a lot? I plan on keeping stock ride height (since the spacers make it look lower).
I probably should have updated my post after driving the following summer. The front CP bar quite nicely flattens out the cornering attitude of the car compared to stock. I did install the rear CP bar as well, but as you see it's almost identical to stock, so I feel it's not worth the trouble or expense. I think if you just install the front CP bar you'll enjoy the performance. From all reports the Dinan bars are stiffer, but I'm happy with the CP bar, on the street and track. There are so few M5s in my neck of the woods, I've never ridden in a Dinan equipped car.
Appreciate 0