M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
b5ka
Private
Rep
Drives: still debating

M5 CP CCB Retrofit - coding needed?

Hey guys, is any coding needed after switching from standard M5 brakes to carbon ceramic ones?

After installing them in dealership, the computer still shows the remaining usage of front/rear brake pads for steel ones.

Any tips what needs to be done?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5ka View Post
Hey guys, is any coding needed after switching from standard M5 brakes to carbon ceramic ones?

After installing them in dealership, the computer still shows the remaining usage of front/rear brake pads for steel ones.

Any tips what needs to be done?
Since a dealer did the work, they should have done the MCCB Retrofit programming/encoding adaptation procedure. There are a lot of changes in several ECU's.

What exactly do you mean by remaining usage shown for pads is the same as metallic ones?

Why did you do the CCB conversion, what's it a new or used kit, how long ago was this done?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
b5ka
Private
Rep
Drives: still debating

Hey, it's brand new OEM kit.

Dealer fixed the issue ASAP today, they "forgot to code" new brakes. So, I'm said to be all set, but... my front pads say 38,000km to change, rear pads 50,000km -- brand new kit, shouldn't it be something like 100,000km+ ? Is it going to change? The whole iDrive has been zero'ed after the procedure.

Another issue is the "clicking" noise that's coming up from the back of the car when you slowly start from full stop.

Last edited by b5ka; 04-20-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5ka
Hey, it's brand new OEM kit.

Dealer fixed the issue ASAP today, they "forgot to code" new brakes. So, I'm said to be all set, but... my front pads say 38,000km to change, rear pads 50,000km -- brand new kit, shouldn't it be something like 100,000km+ ? Is it going to change? The whole iDrive has been zero'ed after the procedure.

Another issue is the "clicking" noise that's coming up from the back of the car when you slowly start from full stop.
It's a bit difficult to say affirmatively. The M Carbon Ceramic Brakes do not always provide a longer consumables service life compared to the Metallic M Compound Brakes. Pad thickness is extremely important on the CCB's and require replacement after less material has worn away compared to the non ceramic pads. When this occurs is completely dependent upon the conditions the brakes are used in. The bias is split differently front to rear compared to the metallic brakes as well.

Metallics will wear front rotors faster than front pads, and rear pads will wear faster than rear rotors.

MCCB will wear front pads faster than front rotors, and rear rotors faster than rear pads.

Due to the nature of how the MCCB's function and the methods in which they experience wear are quite different from metallic brakes, frequent visual assessment is needed to assess the actual component wear occurring. This is extremely important if the brakes are subject to repeated hard use without adequate cooling. Anytime the brake rotors are above 600C, they are wearing even if no braking pressure is applied to them. The Retrofit MCCB also varies from the factory installed system and doesn't have the increased cooling for the rear axle.

If the "clicking" from the rear is a low pitched metallic sound, I'd have them go over the rear again and insure all the appropriate pieces are installed and that the rotor isn't hitting the the protection plate. This would damage the rotor significantly. Another possibility if there is an actual problem, is the parking brake wasn't recalibrated and is driving the thinner CCB pads back into the rear calipers and is hitting the mechanical stops on release of hill hold. This would eventually correct itself, but isn't a healthy scenario for the CCB pads or rotor.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Oh these CCB brakes are not plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #6
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
The braking program pattern are different. I was told by BMW when I switch my M5 to CCB. If they did not reprogram the system it will cause damage to the Ceramic rotor.
Appreciate 0