ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
I don't think anyone has ever had this theory before but it makes sense to me especially with the VW emissions scandal. If there's another thread on this I apologize.

I thought a few years back when the f10 m5 came out that the dyno numbers were very inconsistent. No one seemed to be able to get a solid ballpark figure on how much power the car was actually putting down. There was always a 50whp discrepancy lol.

I thought that perhaps the Bosch douche bags along with their uncrackable ECU's also programmed an algorithm that would know when the car was on a dyno. It only seems logical and now a lot more likely that it may be true. I'm not sure if it's through the vehicles built in GPS to show that it's not really moving, or maybe the amount of air being sucked in is a lot less than it would be while in motion, or something along those lines.

The numbers seem a lot more rational with the piggyback tunes because the ECU's are being fed false information which would have an effect on that algorithm. I'm speaking as a layman so maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could shed some light on this theory

It would also throw the competition for a loop when they try to build something with similar power.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

This topic was intensely debated back in 2013. Agree that in view of the VW scandal this becomes even more interesting...

I think the most relevant debates from 2013 are covered in these two threads (and yes, you need to read through all the pages to find all the relevant info):

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815669

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880707
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
I don't think anyone has ever had this theory before but it makes sense to me especially with the VW emissions scandal. If there's another thread on this I apologize.

I thought a few years back when the f10 m5 came out that the dyno numbers were very inconsistent. No one seemed to be able to get a solid ballpark figure on how much power the car was actually putting down. There was always a 50whp discrepancy lol.

I thought that perhaps the Bosch douche bags along with their uncrackable ECU's also programmed an algorithm that would know when the car was on a dyno. It only seems logical and now a lot more likely that it may be true. I'm not sure if it's through the vehicles built in GPS to show that it's not really moving, or maybe the amount of air being sucked in is a lot less than it would be while in motion, or something along those lines.

The numbers seem a lot more rational with the piggyback tunes because the ECU's are being fed false information which would have an effect on that algorithm. I'm speaking as a layman so maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could shed some light on this theory

It would also throw the competition for a loop when they try to build something with similar power.
I don't know anything for certain, but based on conversations with a few BMW-affiliated people I don't think there's anything as dubious as the VW scandal at play with regards to the F10 M5 performance numbers. What I've heard a few times explaining the discrepancy between the BMW stated HP of 560 and what individuals are achieving on a dyno come down to simple marketing. BMW wants to have one set of marketing documents globally for the F10 M5, and given the susceptibility of turbos to ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure the 560 number is what BMW is comfortable using globally. That means the M5 will produce at least 560 HP on the east coast of the US, or in the mile-high city of Denver, or in the desert climates of the middle east.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 3