M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

REVIEW: MSR ECU Tune

I had the pleasure of recently working with MSR on making my 2014 Comp package an even more powerful machine.

I thought i would highlight 3 factors that really impressed me about MSR and made me an MSR client for the long term:

Expertise
Customer Service
Performance

EXPERTISE:

I actually met George before I even purchased my M5. I wanted his opinion on the S63TU and how he liked it compared to previous generations. What impressed me was his knowledge and how he went about testing his products. He would always send me data logging information on his cars. He didn't just rely on a dyno, but actually street tested his products. I'm not a mechanic, therefore i have limited knowledge when it comes to cars. However, George always took the time to explain things in a very understandable manner. He would always provide clear concise answers when i had questions regarding his intake, downpipes, and other products i saw at his shop.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

George goes far and beyond what we generally consider great customer service. It all started with my purchase of the intake. He made his schedule conform to mine. Not only did he install for no extra charge, he took his time and walked thru each part of the install, helping me to understand how/why it was designed this way.

Again i experienced great customer service when I decided to get the new MSR ECU tune. He took the time to explain how the tune worked, what would need to be done to my car, and what i can expect. I was on the fence about an ecu tune, but once i talked to George i made my decision. I drop off my car at his shop and as usual the place is immaculate. George is probably the only person i don't find myself worrying after i drop off the keys to my car. During the ECU removal and update, George is constantly keeping me in the loop regarding the progress. I get a call the next day saying that the car is ready, George's shop is about 40 minutes away from my office so i immediately start thinking of who i can get to take me to pick up my baby........Then something happens i wasnt expecting. He offers to bring me the car at my office!!!!!! And that is exactly what he did. Again he planned his schedule around mine, had meetings that day, and brought me the car when i was free. All i had to do was walk outside my office and BOOM! there it was. Again he walked over the car with me and discussed what changes i will feel and what to expect over the next few days. Oh! I forgot one thing....i had purchased some downpipes and was going to have them installed at another shop that does all my maintenance, etc. But it was a crazy week for me, i would have to drop the car off at the shop to get the downpipes installed, and then pick it up and drop off at MSR. Well MSR solved that by installing the downpipes for me........and at a better price!

After about a week of enjoying me new found power. George calls me excited about a new stage 2 tune they have developed. I was very pleased with stage one, but he said that stage 2 would be even better and smoother. However to install the stage 2, it could now be done with OBD flash now that the ecu had been unlocked! To ensure stage 2 runs at his best he also changed out my spark plugs (this is part of the stage 2 package).

Another amazing example of customer service was shown when he said, "Since we are going to need your car, why don't you take my personal M5 and drive it until your car is finished" So we met at a local restaurant and exchanged cars......The next day he brought my car to my office again....with even MORE POWER!!!!

PERFORMANCE:

MSR products deliver! I previously reviewed the intake here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=380

The intake is superb, the power gains are REAL! The sound this intake creates are a joy to hear. This intake is very much worth the money to me.

As previously mentioned, MSR installed their stage 1 tune along with a set of ER downpipes (MSR downpipes coming soon). I thought i had a fast car before but this tune/downpipes totally changed that. For one the turbo sound is a lot more pronounced (the downpipes helped that for sure). The car would now get even more loose with MDM on, before i didn't like MDM because it would cut the power way too quickly. With the tune a mash of the throttle in any gear showed a significant improvement and i found myself reaching higher speeds on my favorite on ramps, etc. I didn't think this car would get any better........until STAGE 2!

A few days before we left for the wannagofast race in GA, George called and said he had been working on a stage 2 and its now complete. I wasn't all that excited initially because I figured the change was not the significant. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!!

This car is now an animal with stage two! It is totally a different car even from stage one. Stage 2 feels even more linear, it pulls hard down low rpms and does not let up all the way to almost redline. For the first time EVER I actually enjoy driving my car in "D" mode. My wife and I was driving on the highway doing around 65mph, i needed to get around this truck, so i punch it. It literally scared my wife and I! The car threw us back into the seat, traction control light started flashing......this car lost traction for a second and shot out like a bat out of hell. This car is a absolute beast with stage 2! Now the car is still adapting but get this, you all have probably seen the video of DCTOFF beating the Aventador right. His car would totally demolish me...... on the way down to wannagofast we did some pulls and we were pretty even!

To give you an idea of the power difference, my car trapped 144 at the previous 1/2 mile race. After the stage 2 tune/downpipes i hit 154.7. I think once the car adapts and I put on 305's i can do even better. I was still able to beat hellcats, modded vettes, GTRs.

And the fun continued, on the way back DCTOFF and I did some highway pulls........ I was able to pull away from him!!!!!!

To sum it up.........I am completely in love with my car even more. MSR is wonderful to work with and produces a product that actually performs on the street! I look forward to continue supporting MSR!
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
q8kamikaze
First Lieutenant
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 F10 moonstone/SO

This is a good news , finally a Tune without issues great job MSR , I'm glad you are happy with the results and please post some V-box or dyno numbers if you got the time.
      09-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

George is a class act and a great guy to deal with! Good to know we have more guys pushing our platform to new heights
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Its an amazing setup. For the price of a premium f10 M5 exhaust, you can get an MSR package that will outrun most of everything on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Thank you for the reviews. Great write up!
      09-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

+1 for George and MSR
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
I had the pleasure of recently working with MSR on making my 2014 Comp package an even more powerful machine.

I thought i would highlight 3 factors that really impressed me about MSR and made me an MSR client for the long term:

Expertise
Customer Service
Performance

EXPERTISE:

I actually met George before I even purchased my M5. I wanted his opinion on the S63TU and how he liked it compared to previous generations. What impressed me was his knowledge and how he went about testing his products. He would always send me data logging information on his cars. He didn't just rely on a dyno, but actually street tested his products. I'm not a mechanic, therefore i have limited knowledge when it comes to cars. However, George always took the time to explain things in a very understandable manner. He would always provide clear concise answers when i had questions regarding his intake, downpipes, and other products i saw at his shop.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

George goes far and beyond what we generally consider great customer service. It all started with my purchase of the intake. He made his schedule conform to mine. Not only did he install for no extra charge, he took his time and walked thru each part of the install, helping me to understand how/why it was designed this way.

Again i experienced great customer service when I decided to get the new MSR ECU tune. He took the time to explain how the tune worked, what would need to be done to my car, and what i can expect. I was on the fence about an ecu tune, but once i talked to George i made my decision. I drop off my car at his shop and as usual the place is immaculate. George is probably the only person i don't find myself worrying after i drop off the keys to my car. During the ECU removal and update, George is constantly keeping me in the loop regarding the progress. I get a call the next day saying that the car is ready, George's shop is about 40 minutes away from my office so i immediately start thinking of who i can get to take me to pick up my baby........Then something happens i wasnt expecting. He offers to bring me the car at my office!!!!!! And that is exactly what he did. Again he planned his schedule around mine, had meetings that day, and brought me the car when i was free. All i had to do was walk outside my office and BOOM! there it was. Again he walked over the car with me and discussed what changes i will feel and what to expect over the next few days. Oh! I forgot one thing....i had purchased some downpipes and was going to have them installed at another shop that does all my maintenance, etc. But it was a crazy week for me, i would have to drop the car off at the shop to get the downpipes installed, and then pick it up and drop off at MSR. Well MSR solved that by installing the downpipes for me........and at a better price!

After about a week of enjoying me new found power. George calls me excited about a new stage 2 tune they have developed. I was very pleased with stage one, but he said that stage 2 would be even better and smoother. However to install the stage 2, it could now be done with OBD flash now that the ecu had been unlocked! To ensure stage 2 runs at his best he also changed out my spark plugs (this is part of the stage 2 package).

Another amazing example of customer service was shown when he said, "Since we are going to need your car, why don't you take my personal M5 and drive it until your car is finished" So we met at a local restaurant and exchanged cars......The next day he brought my car to my office again....with even MORE POWER!!!!

PERFORMANCE:

MSR products deliver! I previously reviewed the intake here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=380

The intake is superb, the power gains are REAL! The sound this intake creates are a joy to hear. This intake is very much worth the money to me.

As previously mentioned, MSR installed their stage 1 tune along with a set of ER downpipes (MSR downpipes coming soon). I thought i had a fast car before but this tune/downpipes totally changed that. For one the turbo sound is a lot more pronounced (the downpipes helped that for sure). The car would now get even more loose with MDM on, before i didn't like MDM because it would cut the power way too quickly. With the tune a mash of the throttle in any gear showed a significant improvement and i found myself reaching higher speeds on my favorite on ramps, etc. I didn't think this car would get any better........until STAGE 2!

A few days before we left for the wannagofast race in GA, George called and said he had been working on a stage 2 and its now complete. I wasn't all that excited initially because I figured the change was not the significant. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!!

This car is now an animal with stage two! It is totally a different car even from stage one. Stage 2 feels even more linear, it pulls hard down low rpms and does not let up all the way to almost redline. For the first time EVER I actually enjoy driving my car in "D" mode. My wife and I was driving on the highway doing around 65mph, i needed to get around this truck, so i punch it. It literally scared my wife and I! The car threw us back into the seat, traction control light started flashing......this car lost traction for a second and shot out like a bat out of hell. This car is a absolute beast with stage 2! Now the car is still adapting but get this, you all have probably seen the video of DCTOFF beating the Aventador right. His car would totally demolish me...... on the way down to wannagofast we did some pulls and we were pretty even!

To give you an idea of the power difference, my car trapped 144 at the previous 1/2 mile race. After the stage 2 tune/downpipes i hit 154.7. I think once the car adapts and I put on 305's i can do even better. I was still able to beat hellcats, modded vettes, GTRs.

And the fun continued, on the way back DCTOFF and I did some highway pulls........ I was able to pull away from him!!!!!!

To sum it up.........I am completely in love with my car even more. MSR is wonderful to work with and produces a product that actually performs on the street! I look forward to continue supporting MSR!
Thank you for all the great feedback really appreciate !! Glad you're loving your new found power and what ever else you need let me know. Let's plan January event should be a great time il make sure I gave a set of drag radials for ya so you can get higher traps!

Thanks again everybody for all the props and appreciation.

G
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Where is this video of the F10 vs. the Aventador?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Where is this video of the F10 vs. the Aventador?
Video: M5 beats Challenger Hellcat and Aventador LP4-700! http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173609
      09-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
Thank you for all the great feedback really appreciate !! Glad you're loving your new found power and what ever else you need let me know. Let's plan January event should be a great time il make sure I gave a set of drag radials for ya so you can get higher traps!

Thanks again everybody for all the props and appreciation.

G
anxious to hear the prices for these. emailed you george
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

What are you comparing your performance against, Mr_M5Guy? Everyone going from stock to tuned makes the claims of amazing gains, but until someone does more documentation of tune vs tune using different tuners on the same vehicle, how's any of this really verifiable since no car is made exactly the same? I'm sure Boots and his buddy each thought their cars were the fastest, but they both learned where each others car shines and where they don't when they pitted each others cars side by side - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051230. There's even rumors that tunes for these vehicle are all the same base adjustment across the board, then each tuner makes his own little adjustments here and there...safe or not is the question - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...1140908&page=2 from post 41 onwards .

Last edited by m5james; 09-22-2015 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
What are you comparing your performance against, Mr_M5Guy? Everyone going from stock to tuned makes the claims of amazing gains, but until someone does more documentation of tune vs tune using different tuners on the same vehicle, how's any of this really verifiable since no car is made exactly the same? I'm sure Boots and his buddy each thought their cars were the fastest, but they both learned where each others car shines and where they don't when they pitted each others cars side by side - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051230. There's even rumors that tunes for these vehicle are all the same base adjustment across the board, then each tuner makes his own little adjustments here and there...safe or not is the question - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...1140908&page=2 from post 41 onwards .
when ever they are ready for a race! The is not a generic tune it has been datalogged on the street not dynoed. Guarantee this itune is one of the strongest out there on pump 93. It has been tested and perfected on my personal M5 not a file copy or on a Dyno where you don't get true real life values.

The comparisons are very simple, the jb4 car with MSR parts and 5.0 boost 93/109 mix rocking every thing including other jb4 cars and tuned cars at the track. Well it got rocked by the stage 2 car with justt MSR intake and Catless DP. Also he noticed a big improvement from stage 1 to stage 2 not going from stock to stage 2. And let's not forget have a stage 3 tune as well!

Here's a link for ya MSR stage 3 https://instagram.com/p/73yRDcDggW/

No worries there's always doubts in the beginning. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by m6beast; 09-22-2015 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Feel free to post Vbox runs of your M5 and I will also.....since i think we are across country from each other, so a roll race is probably not an option.

Wait........... Do you even have an M5?!??!?!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Way to go George. Still enjoying my M5 with the intake and the DP's. I emailed right after I heard that you had finished your tune. I did not hear back as you are probably very busy, I imagine.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
Way to go George. Still enjoying my M5 with the intake and the DP's. I emailed right after I heard that you had finished your tune. I did not hear back as you are probably very busy, I imagine.
I would suggest bypassing the Stage 1 and going directly to stage 2 ECU tune. I was able to pull away from a BMS M5 set to 5.0, with race gas, downpipes, exhaust, and MSR intake. And this occurred after i had put only 200 miles on my new set up. This car is a monster. MSR FTW!!!!!!

The car is very smooth also, not jerky, very linear.........I just need wider tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #16
Mgone
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
I would suggest bypassing the Stage 1 and going directly to stage 2 ECU tune. I was able to pull away from a BMS M5 set to 5.0, with race gas, downpipes, exhaust, and MSR intake. And this occurred after i had put only 200 miles on my new set up. This car is a monster. MSR FTW!!!!!!

The car is very smooth also, not jerky, very linear.........I just need wider tires.
agree!, i think i put on over 200 today just by playing around with tune.lol..loving it!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:19 AM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Excuse me bud! There are no words by me or anyone on this forum or any other forum or on the internet that I made any claim that my car was tbe fastest or even close to that. Please don't try to think for me or put words out there that are not true. I can do that all by myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #18
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
You get my email? Let me know hope you're doing well and gals you're enjoying the intake!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

M6beast I saw two of your intake last week. They look very nice and sound great. Chris lives here in h town was black and Raumey drove here from Dallas. was chrome. I drove Raumeys car. Great job.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
M6beast I saw two of your intake last week. They look very nice and sound great. Chris lives here in h town was black and Raumey drove here from Dallas. was chrome. I drove Raumeys car. Great job.
Thanks man! Really appreciate it! Keep them straight over there.... Enjoy your beast!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
Thanks man! Really appreciate it! Keep them straight over there.... Enjoy your beast!
Yes, we had a good ///M cruise and I was able to show off the MSR! Also, got the spare clamp in yesterday...thanks!
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #22
13M5F10
Hide! My wife's coming!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 | MSR Stage 3

Quote:
I can tell you that my ECU tune is running much better than any piggy back out there right now. I have had the BMS JB4 & Stage 1 and although great products, they only raise your boost up which in turn creates more power however, you will have more wear & tear on your vehicle due to the increase in boost without adjusting any other parameters like timing, AFR, ignition... etc

The ECU tune on the other hand takes all that into account if done properly. Your car will have more linear power, you will feel less lag from the turbos, runs more efficient than a piggy, and you will feel the change in power in all RPMs/Gears. Changing from the piggy to the ECU tune was the best thing I did so far on the car.
*** SOLD *** 2013 BMW M5 | Space Grey | MSR Stage 3 Tune | Catless Downpipes | MSR Intake and Charge Pipes | MSR Exhaust (Prototype) | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser | RW Carbon Front Lip | RW Carbon Trunk Spoiler| Vorsteiner VS-310 Forged Wheels | Escort 9500CI w/Laser Jammers
Appreciate 0