07-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
pleong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & E36 M3

Active Blind Spot Detection Malfunction

Has anyone ever had this malfunction?

I replaced my LCI steering wheel with a carbon fiber wheel. I've removed and replaced it a number of times both with the battery disconnected and connected. But there's a vibration in the steering wheel and there's always been one even with the oem wheel. It sounded like plastic vibrating over rough roads.

I decided to stuff the trim piece with some open cell foam. It stopped the plastic vibration noise but now I'm getting an active blind spot detection malfunction. If I shut the car off it won't come back on until maybe 4-5 shut offs and restart (over the course of 2 says or so).

The last time I removed the wheel I didn't disconnect the battery. Does anyone think this may be the problem? I checked the connections in the wheel but they're all connected. It's just odd that the malfunction doesn't pop up all the time and only every few days.

Should I maybe remove some of the foam? It's a bit tight in there..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Barry_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleong View Post
Has anyone ever had this malfunction?

I replaced my LCI steering wheel with a carbon fiber wheel. I've removed and replaced it a number of times both with the battery disconnected and connected. But there's a vibration in the steering wheel and there's always been one even with the oem wheel. It sounded like plastic vibrating over rough roads.

I decided to stuff the trim piece with some open cell foam. It stopped the plastic vibration noise but now I'm getting an active blind spot detection malfunction. If I shut the car off it won't come back on until maybe 4-5 shut offs and restart (over the course of 2 says or so).

The last time I removed the wheel I didn't disconnect the battery. Does anyone think this may be the problem? I checked the connections in the wheel but they're all connected. It's just odd that the malfunction doesn't pop up all the time and only every few days.

Should I maybe remove some of the foam? It's a bit tight in there..
I have this problem right now. It's being fixed under warranty on Thursday. While I have the steering wheel vibration also, it's unrelated to the intermittent PDC fault. In my case it is a short in the wiring harness underneath the car.
Barry
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Maybe you have prevented the vibration generator under the trim piece from rotating with your stuffing and this has been detected and displayed as a misleading fault description.

Otherwise the steering column noise (often the vibrator) and the active blind spot detection fault are probably not related.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
pleong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Maybe you have prevented the vibration generator under the trim piece from rotating with your stuffing and this has been detected and displayed as a misleading fault description.

Otherwise the steering column noise (often the vibrator) and the active blind spot detection fault are probably not related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post

I had the same thought. I removed it the other night. Will see how it does.
Appreciate 0