BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #23
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

phish_100: if a gear is displayed or D, then you are in a gear. The clutch is just disengaged.
If N then no gear
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSAM View Post
Guyz

i answered the question and you keep arguing

i think your answer confused everyone more.

Last edited by mainly; 06-19-2012 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

its the same as the dct in m3's... just part of the design... not really good or bad i guess but if its in neutral and you turn it off it puts it in park. if you restart it then you're still in park until you put it in gear on your own.
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSAM View Post
Guyz

i answered the question and you keep arguing
because if you read the explanation you offered it didnt make any sense.

This is what I read: "pull up turn off step on cockroach eat potato restart and you are in neutral!"
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Good News!!!!

Good News!!!
As per autoblog, starting in the middle of 2013, all M cars equipped with the m-dct transmission will have a PARK BUTTONto engage park!!!
Finallly! What took them so long?!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Guys, you have to understand full automatic and a manual gear box being steared by a computer.
You dont need the P-Position. it is a BMW M5. If you can afford it then you are young enough to enjoy it if not get an SLS AMG from Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

That's good news... Makes sense to wAit till next year 2014 model. You get park button, ceramic breaks , few more stuff. Question is Can you wait ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag5 View Post
Good News!!!
As per autoblog, starting in the middle of 2013, all M cars equipped with the m-dct transmission will have a PARK BUTTONto engage park!!!
      06-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Where did you read this information ? Can you provide the link ?

Quote:
Good News!!!
      07-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #31
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

It's just like manual...you keep it in gear...there's should not be "park"....
      07-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #32
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Good News!!!
This is completely unnecessary. What a waste of a button. Much better use of the button to be able to open the exhaust valve flap. Are people really that concerned about going into P in the US that they need a separate button. Really ?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #33
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
This is completely unnecessary. What a waste of a button. Much better use of the button to be able to open the exhaust valve flap. Are people really that concerned about going into P in the US that they need a separate button. Really ?
There should be a Park button. If you don't think so, you have a high willingness to compromise on a big ticket purchase. I'd love to sell you some stuff.

I don't understand why they don't just use the same lever as the M550dx. That lever is excellent, and can be available in Ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
There should be a Park button. If you don't think so, you have a high willingness to compromise on a big ticket purchase. I'd love to sell you some stuff.

I don't understand why they don't just use the same lever as the M550dx. That lever is excellent, and can be available in Ceramic.
Why doesn't all manual cars have park buttons then? Because they don't need them. Just treat the car like every other manual car and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post
Why doesn't all manual cars have park buttons then? Because they don't need them. Just treat the car like every other manual car and you should be fine.
Because they are manual! That's seriously such an obvious question. How could you have an automatic park mode in a manual transmission!

DCT customers are not buying manuals. We are buying Dual Clutch Automatics.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 07-04-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Because they are manual! That's seriously such a fucking obvious question. How could you have an automatic park mode in a manual transmission!

DCT customers are not buying manuals. We are buying Dual Clutch Automatics.
Well it's really just a case of defenition but the gearbox in the M5 is an automated manual.

It doesn't work the same way as an autobox just beacuse it doesn't have a clutchpedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #37
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well it's really just a case of defenition but the gearbox in the M5 is an automated manual.

Just beacuse it doesn't have a clutchpedal doesn't mean it works the same way as an autobox.
It is more like an auto than a manual. The SMG was an automated manual.

Every other OEM has DCTs which have automatic like user interfaces. Even BMW on the 3 series uses a normal automatic shift lever for the DCT.

What BMW has done here is not the norm, it is an aberration from the industry standard setup of DCTs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because they are manual! That's seriously such a fucking obvious question. How could you have an automatic park mode in a manual transmission!
Well that's exactly my point!
Thanks for replying in such a polite manner btw.

Quote:
Even BMW on the 3 series uses a normal automatic shift lever for the DCT.
Is the gearbox in the M5 the same as the DCT in the non-M cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #39
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathray View Post
As far as I know the M5 does not have a 'park' position, on or off. Putting the car into park in a traditional auto (i.e. a transmission with a torque converter) actually engages a parking pawl that locks the drive shaft. Since the DCT in the M5 is a modified manual transmission (i.e. has a clutch (2) to connect the gearbox to the drive shaft, but, in our case is not driver controlled) it has no parking pawl. 'Park' in any manual transmission vehicle basically consists of putting the vehicle in gear to put a very heavy load (the shaft load) onto the wheels in order to prevent them from turning. If you choose, you can then also pull the parking break which clamps the breaks on the rear wheels providing more resistance to wheel rotation.

The sound you hear after you turn your car off is the transmission putting the vehicle back in gear in order to load the wheels. When the vehicle is on and you are stopped, but still 'in gear', the clutch is disengaged to prevent the car from stalling.

In short, the M5 does not have a park function. When the car is off (provided you do not leave it in N, which you should not do) the transmission is engaged in order to stop movement. When stopped while the car is on, the clutch is disengaged; essentially, the car is in neutral. If you want to wait for someone while the car is on, just pull the park break and relax.

The warning the car gives you when it is turned off in N is telling you that it can still roll because the wheels are not connected to the engine load.
It seems like I may have a little bit of egg on my face. It turns out that the DCT used in the M3, the Z4 and the 335 actually does have a parking pawl. While I wont bore you with mechanism (though it is fascinating to me atleast) that DCT does have a true park feature. The SMG used in the previous M5 did not. The DCT that is used in the new M5 isnt the same as the one used in the M3 so Im not sure.

One way to check, I suppose, is for someone who has taken delivery to check in their owner's manual if there is a section describing the emergency release of the parking lock. If it isnt in there, its probably safe to assume there is no parking lock.

I cant check, unfortunately, since Ive delayed my delivery because I cant seem to sell my 7 series. Such is life I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #40
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathray View Post
It seems like I may have a little bit of egg on my face. It turns out that the DCT used in the M3, the Z4 and the 335 actually does have a parking pawl. While I wont bore you with mechanism (though it is fascinating to me atleast) that DCT does have a true park feature. The SMG used in the previous M5 did not. The DCT that is used in the new M5 isnt the same as the one used in the M3 so Im not sure.

One way to check, I suppose, is for someone who has taken delivery to check in their owner's manual if there is a section describing the emergency release of the parking lock. If it isnt in there, its probably safe to assume there is no parking lock.

I cant check, unfortunately, since Ive delayed my delivery because I cant seem to sell my 7 series. Such is life I guess.
The M5 does go into park. You either have to leave it in gear and turn it off. Or you turn it off and go through the annoying warning, then it goes into park.

Either way you find yourself in park.

Seems pointless to have to push another button to get it into park when it lands up there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
The M5 does go into park. You either have to leave it in gear and turn it off. Or you turn it off and go through the annoying warning, then it goes into park.
Yeap, quite easy really. Just don't put it in Neutral and turn off the engine to avoid the warning.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Porsche's PDK (dual clutch transmission) has the PARK feature, if I'm not mistaken.
Appreciate 0