Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Chirping from engine compartment?

I just noticed today... Not sure if it's been happening as I usually drive with windows up and radio on... Or on the phone.

I notice a chirping noise coming from the engine compartment. It's audible around 1500 rpm and up and seems to match the rpm's in terms of tempo.

Anyone experience this?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I just noticed today... Not sure if it's been happening as I usually drive with windows up and radio on... Or on the phone.

I notice a chirping noise coming from the engine compartment. It's audible around 1500 rpm and up and seems to match the rpm's in terms of tempo.

Anyone experience this?
It may be your wastegate chirping. The sound will be consistent at the same RPM.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Never heard it. Could be a wheel bearing or turbo issue like two of the forum members have reported ?

Keep us posted on what you find out.
      12-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Butty45
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Anyone experience this?
I have similar. Been there since delivery. Been into stealer about 8 times to no avail. Car now has 9K. Now it's winter it is not really a prob as have windows shut etc....
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butty45
Quote:

Anyone experience this?
I have similar. Been there since delivery. Been into stealer about 8 times to no avail. Car now has 9K. Now it's winter it is not really a prob as have windows shut etc....
If the sound is progressively getting faster as the rpms go up, it's almost guaranteed to be something in the driveshaft. I had this problem on two other cars and in both cases, it was the U-joint.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:

Anyone experience this?
Hey Phil, I noticed a similar noise a couple of months ago. Turned out to be the shafts on the turbos. Is it more noticeable when the engine is in sport+?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
If the sound is progressively getting faster as the rpms go up, it's almost guaranteed to be something in the driveshaft. I had this problem on two other cars and in both cases, it was the U-joint.
It's present even when the car is not moving and the engine is free-revved.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
Hey Phil, I noticed a similar noise a couple of months ago. Turned out to be the shafts on the turbos. Is it more noticeable when the engine is in sport+?
I didn't take notice if it was more noticeable in Sport+. I will check that out.

Thanks bud.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Chirping. I've had a similar problem and as of now nothing can be done if it's same problem. It's not a waste gate issue. It's actually the result of fuel injectors and direct injection. Some cars are louder than others. Try to block it out. I obsessed for a long time to no resolve. Had the waste gates checked and re calibrated . Did nothing. It's an injector problem and they don't seem to be willing to do anything. Mine sounds like crickets at 1400 rpm and higher when depressing gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
Chirping. I've had a similar problem and as of now nothing can be done if it's same problem. It's not a waste gate issue. It's actually the result of fuel injectors and direct injection. Some cars are louder than others. Try to block it out. I obsessed for a long time to no resolve. Had the waste gates checked and re calibrated . Did nothing. It's an injector problem and they don't seem to be willing to do anything. Mine sounds like crickets at 1400 rpm and higher when depressing gas pedal.
Hmmm....interesting.... Let me see what the dealers around me say about it.
Appreciate 0