Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
DannyMiddleton107
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F10 535D, E70 X5sd

BMW F10 M5 Won't Start

Hi all

My M5 died a week or so ago and now it won't start again. Driving to the end of my road with a bit of enthusiasm and just before I stopped at the junction the car died with iDrive giving battery fault, right before it died it felt like it chucked itself into park or changed down incorrectly but I can't be sure. Trying to start it at this point result in a loud click from the engine bay but no go. I knew the battery needed replacing as I got a warning if I didn't use the car for a week so thought it was just that. Went out and got a brand new battery, charged it up and tried starting the car, result was a little bit different this time, loud whirring noise but then went back to clicking. This weekend I charged it back up again and connected jump leads to my 535D, when trying to start the engine actually turned and it sounded like it was about to start but again then back to whirring then the click. Charged it up again today and connected jump leads to my 535D and X5 35D, thinking this would give enough amps to get the car turning over properly but still no joy. I've done a video showing today's attempt but I'm really at a loss of what's actually wrong and how to fix. I have read the codes using ISTAGUI, there were loads referencing low voltages and signal issues but I've cleared them and they haven't come back.

Last edited by DannyMiddleton107; 05-25-2021 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Try to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet or bar. Could be a seized engine or rod bearing spun nipping the engine up.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #3
sumairm
Rep
Drives: 2012 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:01 AM   #4
justm5
Jus530
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 530D x Drive M Sport

Hi I've got a M5 F10 2014 54300 mileage full bmw service great condition car warranty has expired. Any suggestions on what one to get ? I know the bmw is over£1500 a year ! Just looking for any ideas company's etc . Live in uk . Thanks 😊
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justm5 View Post
Hi I've got a M5 F10 2014 54300 mileage full bmw service great condition car warranty has expired. Any suggestions on what one to get ? I know the bmw is over£1500 a year ! Just looking for any ideas company's etc . Live in uk . Thanks 😊
Is your question (which appears to be hijacking the OP's thread) asking what aftermarket warranty you should get?

If so, there is plenty of threads already dealing with this question that you can look at/contribute to.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Bullish657
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMiddleton107 View Post
Hi all

My M5 died a week or so ago and now it won't start again. Driving to the end of my road with a bit of enthusiasm and just before I stopped at the junction the car died with iDrive giving battery fault, right before it died it felt like it chucked itself into park or changed down incorrectly but I can't be sure. Trying to start it at this point result in a loud click from the engine bay but no go. I knew the battery needed replacing as I got a warning if I didn't use the car for a week so thought it was just that. Went out and got a brand new battery, charged it up and tried starting the car, result was a little bit different this time, loud whirring noise but then went back to clicking. This weekend I charged it back up again and connected jump leads to my 535D, when trying to start the engine actually turned and it sounded like it was about to start but again then back to whirring then the click. Charged it up again today and connected jump leads to my 535D and X5 35D, thinking this would give enough amps to get the car turning over properly but still no joy. I've done a video showing today's attempt but I'm really at a loss of what's actually wrong and how to fix. I have read the codes using ISTAGUI, there were loads referencing low voltages and signal issues but I've cleared them and they haven't come back.

If anyone has any clues on this I'd be hugely appreciative, check the video out here BMW F10 M5 Won't Start
Difficult one, never heard one doing that.Give a few more details like mileage and year of it.Sounds like the starter motor is strangling itself.
Do you use eco stop start? Its probably the starter motor gone out. Obviously using the stop start makes that unit work a thousand x's more than it normally would.

My RS4 Cabrio had a similar issue, would click and make weird whering noise then die... starter
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:04 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullish657 View Post
Do you use eco stop start? Its probably the starter motor gone out. Obviously using the stop start makes that unit work a thousand x's more than it normally would.

My RS4 Cabrio had a similar issue, would click and make weird whering noise then die... starter
Hope this is the case but note the engine stopped all of a sudden and went into P with codes.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by justm5 View Post
If you have a £250 Excess and pay yearly it should not be £1500.

I pay £800 and its with Mondial who are the official BMW provider, personally I would not risk any other company
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
DannyMiddleton107
Registered
Rep

Realised I had bought the wrong battery, 95Ah instead of 105Ah. I've been out and bought the correct one and fully charged that along with the 95Ah and tried again but still no joy. I tried again at the weekend and the engine spun slow but for a split second sped up to the point where I thought it was going to start but then went back to the click. I noticed my Xenons were trying to kick in each time so I've removed the main fuses for the lights to lessen the draw on the battery(s). I've tried again tonight but no turning today, just a click and then a low humming sound of something spinning until I take my foot off the brake or start button. I've found a 2nd hand starter on eBay for less than £100, I'm wondering whether to give this a whirl, hopefully they aren't too much of a sod to fit if I go down that route.

Is it worth taking the spark plugs out and trying to turn it over? I suppose if I did that I could borascope down in the cylinders although I really wouldn't have a clue what I'm looking for to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMiddleton107 View Post
Realised I had bought the wrong battery, 95Ah instead of 105Ah. I've been out and bought the correct one and fully charged that along with the 95Ah and tried again but still no joy. I tried again at the weekend and the engine spun slow but for a split second sped up to the point where I thought it was going to start but then went back to the click. I noticed my Xenons were trying to kick in each time so I've removed the main fuses for the lights to lessen the draw on the battery(s). I've tried again tonight but no turning today, just a click and then a low humming sound of something spinning until I take my foot off the brake or start button. I've found a 2nd hand starter on eBay for less than £100, I'm wondering whether to give this a whirl, hopefully they aren't too much of a sod to fit if I go down that route.

Is it worth taking the spark plugs out and trying to turn it over? I suppose if I did that I could borascope down in the cylinders although I really wouldn't have a clue what I'm looking for to be honest.
You need to be trying to turn the crank with a ratchet or bar. You could be suffering from a spun rod bearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

*Dwaynos is an experienced technician who has changed the rod bearings on his own car,I wouldn't go buying starter motors if your not sure what the problem is exactly and I believe he's guiding you right.The S63 tu engines are complex and its easy to be fooled as to what's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
*Dwaynos is an experienced technician who has changed the rod bearings on his own car,I wouldn't go buying starter motors if your not sure what the problem is exactly and I believe he's guiding you right.The S63 tu engines are complex and its easy to be fooled as to what's wrong.
I wouldn't go as far as experienced

Seriously though, a simple check with a ratchet will tell you if the engine is free or not. Save you spending money unnecessarily.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #13
LinusIT
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Ok that makes sense, I had read some other stories of spun rod bearings.

Can you point me in the right direction on the best way of doing this and also what to be looking/listening out for? I understand the concept of turning the engine over by hand but would just like a little more info if possible.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #14
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusIT View Post
Ok that makes sense, I had read some other stories of spun rod bearings.

Can you point me in the right direction on the best way of doing this and also what to be looking/listening out for? I understand the concept of turning the engine over by hand but would just like a little more info if possible.

Thanks
You'll definitely be better off from underneath. With a ratchet or bar approx 12-18" inches long max, you should able able to turn the crankshaft via the pulley on the belt side. You may have to remove the bolt that holds the water connection in front of the belts so that you can get your socket and ratchet on. You should be able to turn the engine with slight resistance. If the starter cannot turn the engine then you should have difficulty.

I doubt you'll hear any untoward noises.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
DannyMiddleton107
Registered
Rep

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'll give this a go over the weekend and report back.
Appreciate 0