Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Question on dealer service

So my 14k mile service is coming up and three things I would like feedback on. The M5 is my first BMW so some of this is probably not unique to the M5. I like my M5 (a lot), but I am thinking that I am not going to like the BMW 'service experience'.

1) Apparently my vehicle was setup to use the dealer where I 'placed my ED order' (in Ohio) as the maintenance location. I do remember requesting it to be the dealer here, but the 'maintenance required' phone call came from the original Ohio dealer 9 months later. When they (Ohio) called, I explained and they said the dealer here would have to set it as primary when I take it in.

When I called and setup my appointment for August 1, I had to leave a mesg to get a call back 4 hours later. During that call, I was told that it was a $125 service charge to change the service location on the vehicle. I said "I can make phone calls to setup my appointments for $125". There was very little pause or thought that went into that response.

[[This has not been my experience as an Infiniti owner for many years and this is inferior/non-competitive service if it is.]]

Is this typical of the BMW experience of others?

Is there an alternate ($0) way to change the service location for the vehicle that I am just not aware of?

2) I asked if they provided a loaner for the drop off for standard maintenance and was informed that if the car was not sold by their dealership then a loaner was not provided. I could take the shuttle they provide or they would give me the number of the enterprise rental car agency they recommend.

[[This has not been my experience as an Infiniti owner for many years and this is inferior/non-competitive service if it is.]]

Is this typical of the experience of others?

3) I know about the pdf with an 'explanation' about the speedometer being off some % being O.K. with BMW. I'm a (simple) Computer Engineer in addition to my Executive Technical Management role and I don't need to rely on a multi page document to explain why it is okay for 4+4 = 9. I want it to =8 and that should be the universally correct answer. Any one pushed for this to be corrected by their dealer and won?

If I have to compromise and pay for the correction I will, but my initial intent is not to. That being said, my current impression (prior to pushing for it) is they may be unwilling to touch it even if I pay for it. Comments?

Thanks, and I look forward to your comments/feedback.
John
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

You are able to take your car to any BMW dealership for service. I bought mine in Austin Tx but get it serviced in Houston. There is no need to pay any stealership for a change of venue. Also they should provide a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
You are able to take your car to any BMW dealership for service. I bought mine in Austin Tx but get it serviced in Houston. There is no need to pay any stealership for a change of venue. Also they should provide a loaner.
+1. Although the loaner is up to the dealer. Some do, some don't. The charge to change home dealership is gouging - if you can, you should consider going to another dealer.

I don't think there is anything to be done about the speedometer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Willie_Beamen69
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Change the dealership.. That's a insult to me to charge me $125 to change where I have to service it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I've never heard of a dealership trying to charge you to change where you get service? I've gotten my car serviced at Chapman BMW, BMW of San Antonio, BMW of Dallas, and BMW of El Paso in just the past 7 months..

Ignore them and just go somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Take it wherever you want. If its a busy dealer, then loaners could be available in 10-14 days. So you may need to plan a few weeks ahead in order to get a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think I have somehow mislead you guys on the $125 part. The $125 is not something I have to pay so they will service the car: they will service it without any fee.

They are saying it is a fee to switch the car to identify their dealership automatically when the maintenance alerts are received from the car (instead of the dealer in Ohio).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
I think I have somehow mislead you guys on the $125 part. The $125 is not something I have to pay so they will service the car: they will service it without any fee.

They are saying it is a fee to switch the car to identify their dealership automatically when the maintenance alerts are received from the car (instead of the dealer in Ohio).
It literally will take the dealer 30 seconds to switch your "home" dealer.
Basically what they need to do is take the last 7 of your VIN and select the new dealer
in the system.
There's no reason to charge anything
This can be done by ANY dealer btw
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Inaccurately high (~+5%) speedometer readings is WAD (work as designed) for many auto manufacturers. If you want accurate readouts you will need to use a GPS or aftermarket OBDII reader like the vent gauge from p3cars. It's really not that big a deal, is it?
      07-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Inaccurately high (~+5%) speedometer readings is WAD (work as designed) for many auto manufacturers. If you want accurate readouts you will need to use a GPS or aftermarket OBDII reader like the vent gauge from p3cars. It's really not that big a deal, is it?
I follow your point except that we know in the case of the M5 the accurate/correct measurement is already being gathered by the car - and then an in-accurate/incorrect value is being applied to the human display.

It has been discussed before. The question was really at whether anyone had made an attempt to have a dealer fix it and if they were successful.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Loaners are not provided by the service department. They are provided by - and paid for by - the sales department as a sales incentive. That is why most dealerships won't provide loaners if you didn't give them the sales business.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
If you have an Executive Technical Management role, it's kind of a big deal. I have to calibrate mine every week, otherwise weird shit starts happening.

I got lazy and let mine go over the spring. One morning I thought I was on the way to the airport for a flight to a very important meeting. Next thing I know, I'm out on tour with Insane Clown Posse. I missed four weeks of work. Fortunately, no one noticed.

My "Home Dealer" has stopped picking up when I call.

I need a loaner so bad right now.
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I follow your point except that we know in the case of the M5 the accurate/correct measurement is already being gathered by the car - and then an in-accurate/incorrect value is being applied to the human display.

It has been discussed before. The question was really at whether anyone had made an attempt to have a dealer fix it and if they were successful.
NO car will give GPS accuracy speed, the tyres are wearing anyway so small changes will occur , my 330D M Sport is +2MPH @ 70MPH
dead accurate 30MPH. Whats the big deal
      07-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Why would you pay to create a service sale lead for a car dealer. You don't need it. Just call th dealer when you car says it needs service.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I would also call the dealership you are registered too and ask them to change it. I doubt they want to keep you in their database when you are not servicing your car there.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies...

lllwlf yours was priceless as always.
Appreciate 0