BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Making The Move To An F10?

I recently sold my RS5 and am now in the market for a 4 door car. It seems to be between an F80 M3 and the an CPO F10 M5.

Now, my question to you all is, with the massive depreciation these cars go through and the new model right around the corner, is the F10 a smart move? I'm thinking a MY14 CP is the right fit for me but it is a bigger and heavier car than I'd like but I did enjoy the test drive more than I anticipated. The luxury and cabin appointments of the M5 are very appealing to me and of course the power goes without saying.

Whereas, with the M3, I love it's size but not in love with the sound! Both cars are great performers for a DD but all things being equal, I think I do slightly prefer the F10.

So, again...is the F10 a great buy right now? Or does the newer generation M3 make more sense?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

new gen M5 is 2 years away; MSRP & first 1-2 years of beta-testing ... no thanks.

I'd snag the latest model M5 you can afford ... they are one heck of a value for a relatively rare supercar in most States. Best-kept secret.

If you keep it for 2-3 yrs, you'll be fine on depreciation ... although yes, it does give a "giant sucking sound"
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I came from an F80 M3.

Get the M5 for road presence, luxury, better sound system (B&O sounds amazing), better exhaust note, and more leg room for the rear passengers. The bad: Burns oil, horrible MPG, too heavy to track, and steering feel isn't great.

Get the M3 for wide look, updated interior with great bucket seats, reliable S55 engine, no oil burn, better MPG, and lighter by 1000lbs so great for the track. The bad: exhaust note and smaller, but the exhaust note can be fixed with catless DPs.