BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
hori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT, F10 M5

looking at 12 M5 and some questions

BMW noob here day dreaming about a 12 M5 at dealer, just off lease and dealership bought the car so it`s CPO with extended warranty. I have owned several sports cars over the years and my last purchase is the 12 Boss 302. The boss has power and handling but I find myself mainly using it as Sunday driver as my wife wont drive it where its standard and I have been using it less and less. The M5 appeals to me because it hauls ass, looks good, dct so will be driven more. So guess now question time time

-Is it docile in comfort mode, no breaking tires all the time at stop and go? dont want to scare hell out of wife when shes driving it.
- Hows is the ride quality, is it still comfortable in the comfort mode? not bone jarring,
-Ok about the power , I am torque junky and like the push you get from powerful modern V8 engines, I know in reviews they say how fast this thing is does it really pin you back when you kick down? does it keep straight when all the nannies are on?
-Any recalls or things to ask dealer about in particular?
-oil burning, do they all do it? something to ask dealer?

all replies will be appreciated , thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Here's a link to my review of my 2015 M5. http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114015

It's definitely a torque monster. Nannies will protect you, but this thing can and will kick your butt with MDM switched on.

Regarding oil consumption, some do and some don't. Trust me, you don't want to start a debate about why that is. See if you can find out the service history of yours and how much oil has been added and how often changed. This may give you some indication, although if the dealer adds oil, it may not be recorded and if the owner added oil then for sure you won't know.

One thing you can do is look at the tail pipes. If they're really black and don't clean easily, there's a history of oil burning there. You didn't mention how many miles are on it.

Last edited by Bönz; 05-19-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hori View Post
BMW noob here day dreaming about a 12 M5 at dealer, just off lease and dealership bought the car so it`s CPO with extended warranty. I have owned several sports cars over the years and my last purchase is the 12 Boss 302. The boss has power and handling but I find myself mainly using it as Sunday driver as my wife wont drive it where its standard and I have been using it less and less. The M5 appeals to me because it hauls ass, looks good, dct so will be driven more. So guess now question time time

-Is it docile in comfort mode, no breaking tires all the time at stop and go? dont want to scare hell out of wife when shes driving it.
- Hows is the ride quality, is it still comfortable in the comfort mode? not bone jarring,
-Ok about the power , I am torque junky and like the push you get from powerful modern V8 engines, I know in reviews they say how fast this thing is does it really pin you back when you kick down? does it keep straight when all the nannies are on?
-Any recalls or things to ask dealer about in particular?
-oil burning, do they all do it? something to ask dealer?

all replies will be appreciated , thanks
My wife is afraid to drive it, however it can be low key in all the lowest settings with light to medium throttle. Surprising how comfortable it can be too.

In Sport or Sport Plus settings, torque will pin everyone back and put a smile on your face. Highway Beast and pulls straight and true, even when you get a little rear end slip it is pretty easy to feel and control.

Oil consumption has been noted by several, but worth every penny.

I had seen all reviews and YouTube videos on it and I was still impressed with first drive!

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
IMO if the wife is driving just make sure she keeps everything in comfort mode and does not press the DSC button. Other wise it's just an ordinary 5 series which anyone can drive. The wife drives my M5 and she says that the X5 and M5 feel that same so long as you don't floor it. Only if you start playing with buttons and mash the pedal do you start to have a handful.

If you're looking for comfort then the 7 series is your option. The M5 does have stiffer suspension that the ordinary 5 series however I wouldn't call it bone-jarring. In fact if you just leave in comfort mode it is comfortable, more so than you would expect. However the Competition pack does have stiffer suspension. Can't comment upon it though as I don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

M5

M5 is a different sort of ANIMAL really....
My wife refuses to drive it at all ( after we have been on a few trips ).
She already knows what it does on the road and she just will not touch it.
Even in the most "tame" setting this thing pulls hard to a point where my wife already told me that it is just my car " period " .
I personally like that no one is playing with my toy, although it could be nice to see what the car would do in my wife's hands.... or may be better not.
IMO M5 is a silent but very potent toy, I have had it for some time now but it still gives me goose bumps every time I drive it.
To sum it up If your wife is like mine, she'll drive it once and ..... M5 is going to be yours and only yours

Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFten View Post
M5 is a different sort of ANIMAL really....
My wife refuses to drive it at all ( after we have been on a few trips ).
She already knows what it does on the road and she just will not touch it.
Even in the most "tame" setting this thing pulls hard to a point where my wife already told me that it is just my car " period " .
I personally like that no one is playing with my toy, although it could be nice to see what the car would do in my wife's hands.... or may be better not.
IMO M5 is a silent but very potent toy, I have had it for some time now but it still gives me goose bumps every time I drive it.
To sum it up If your wife is like mine, she'll drive it once and ..... M5 is going to be yours and only yours

Cheers !
Exactly same boat!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla
IMO if the wife is driving just make sure she keeps everything in comfort mode and does not press the DSC button. Other wise it's just an ordinary 5 series which anyone can drive. The wife drives my M5 and she says that the X5 and M5 feel that same so long as you don't floor it. Only if you start playing with buttons and mash the pedal do you start to have a handful.

If you're looking for comfort then the 7 series is your option. The M5 does have stiffer suspension that the ordinary 5 series however I wouldn't call it bone-jarring. In fact if you just leave in comfort mode it is comfortable, more so than you would expect. However the Competition pack does have stiffer suspension. Can't comment upon it though as I don't have it.
Mine drives in MDM
      05-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #8
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

My wife hasn't ever driven any of my BMWs. She simply doesn't care to and I'm fine with that. She loves her car(s) and prefers to drive them. That's why we have two cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I don't understand all the responses about wives being afraid to drive the car. My wife prefers not to, but not because it is a "beast' to drive - just because she knows how obsessive I am about the car. Leave the car in the default settings (D1, comfort everything) and it is a dream to drive - no more difficult than any other 5 series.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
hori
Private
Rep

My wife has driven lots of powerful cars, I am more concerned about rear end spinning too easily all time and try to step out. Will it be ok in D1/ comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
My wife has driven lots of powerful cars, I am more concerned about rear end spinning too easily all time and try to step out. Will it be ok in D1/ comfort mode.
The M5 won't just spin if you leave DSC on. It will spin if it's wet and you floor it but that's unlikely as the DSC system would intervene and cut power. I remember seeing a video on the E39 M5 in the wet with DSC on and the driver couldn't spin it. I'll link it if I find it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Driving a car requires skill, experience and the patience to achieve those.
Some qualities aren't shared by all.

* MDM /Sport +/ MT = Happy wife in my home ( My M5 Looks best when shes driving )
      05-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
hori
Private
Rep

so on to the power for me.. will launch control and D3 shove you back hard in your seat?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
Jackson1019
WorkHardPlayHard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB M5

Quote:
so on to the power for me.. will launch control and D3 shove you back hard in your seat?
You wont need launch control for it to throw you back in your seat. Once you get over 4k rpm and the turbos kick in its an insane ride
06 Lexus LS430 white (trap car/daily)
08 E64 M6 Vert Alpine White (SOLD )
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
hori
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson1019 View Post
You wont need launch control for it to throw you back in your seat. Once you get over 4k rpm and the turbos kick in its an insane ride
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson1019 View Post
4k?? The S63Tu can produce 100% of its peak torque from about 1500 to 5700rpm, if you are on it. The smaller twin turbos on this baby spool up almost instantly with the twin scroll turbines fed by that crazy cross-bank exhaust manifold sitting in the valley of the cylinder banks.

I agree you don't need launch control to feel the push of this engine in your back, but you certainly don't need 4000rpm either.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #17
hori
Private
Rep

is there big difference in suspension settings from comfort/sport/sport +
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #18
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla View Post
The M5 won't just spin if you leave DSC on. It will spin if it's wet and you floor it but that's unlikely as the DSC system would intervene and cut power. I remember seeing a video on the E39 M5 in the wet with DSC on and the driver couldn't spin it. I'll link it if I find it
Huh? It won't spin at all if you leave the traction control on.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #19
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is there big difference in suspension settings from comfort/sport/sport +
Noticeable to me. Test drive is the best way to answer this question though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Huh? It won't spin at all if you leave the traction control on.
Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough. What I meant is that with DSC on the wheels will spin if it's wet but the system will intervene but it's unlikely to react in that way. So if the wheels spin the system brakes/cuts power but it's more likely that the car just will not let the wheels spin.

Briefly, leave DSC on. No worries.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #21
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Okay, I think I can answer your questions and give you some insight on this one. I previously had a 2011 M3 Competition Package. During that time I was a freelance auto journalist and went to Miller Motorsport Park to do the 2 Day Boss 302 Driving school for an article I was writing. Spent a day on the track in the 302 and the 2nd day on the track in their full race prepped 500FRS.

About 16 months ago I moved from the M3 to a 2014 M5 with Competition Package. Here are my thoughts.

Quote:
Absolutely. When left in comfort mode the car is extremely docile and very comfortable. People above are saying that you should look at the 7 series, however, coming out of the Boss 302, the M5 will feel like a luxury sedan.

My wife has driven my M5 many times and never has a problem with it. She just leaves it in auto mode.

Quote:
- Hows is the ride quality, is it still comfortable in the comfort mode? not bone jarring.
Yes, the ride quality is very nice. It does get stiff if you dial up the suspension, but I have really enjoyed the M5 after having the M3. For an example, on an undisclosed surface, I happened to be cruising at a fast rate of speed and my wife sat in the passenger seat comfortably surfing the web on her phone. She had absolutely no idea how fast we were going, but the computer in the car said we couldn't go any faster.

Quote:
-Ok about the power , I am torque junky and like the push you get from powerful modern V8 engines, I know in reviews they say how fast this thing is does it really pin you back when you kick down?
When you get on the full boost, the car throws you back in your seat. You won't be let down.

Quote:
does it keep straight when all the nannies are on?
For the most part, yes. However, computers can't overcome the power of physics.

[/QUOTE]-Any recalls or things to ask dealer about in particular?
-oil burning, do they all do it? something to ask dealer?[/QUOTE]

Almost 11k miles on my M5 and not a single problem to report. 14.2mpg over that time period (because I don't drive gingerly).

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Have you driven the F10 M5 yet?

If you are coming from a stock 302 the M5 shouldn't disappoint. Be aware that hp/tq in a vehicle that weighs an additional 700 lbs will feel different