Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

New engine, used engine, or repair?

Hi all. I've been enjoying my M5 for the past while but unfortunately I've got some damage in the engine now as the mechanic found metal shavings in the oil filter in today's oil change. Engine still seems to run okay and at idle or under 2000 rpm at least there isn't any undue vibration or noise. Over 2000 rpm or under heavier load I hear a bit of ticking. I have third party warranty but I'm unclear what they will choose as the solution. Best case would be a full new engine replacement which I've been told by my Service Advisor as about $42,000 Canadian. There was the possibility of a used engine as well though I'm not sure what that really means. Maybe a BMW factory refurbished engine? If all else fails I might have to pay for a rod bearing replacement myself. Anyone in Canada have the rod bearing replacement done and have a rough cost for that job? $2000? $3000? Anyone had a used engine replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_M5 View Post
Hi all. I've been enjoying my M5 for the past while but unfortunately I've got some damage in the engine now as the mechanic found metal shavings in the oil filter in today's oil change. Engine still seems to run okay and at idle or under 2000 rpm at least there isn't any undue vibration or noise. Over 2000 rpm or under heavier load I hear a bit of ticking. I have third party warranty but I'm unclear what they will choose as the solution. Best case would be a full new engine replacement which I've been told by my Service Advisor as about $42,000 Canadian. There was the possibility of a used engine as well though I'm not sure what that really means. Maybe a BMW factory refurbished engine? If all else fails I might have to pay for a rod bearing replacement myself. Anyone in Canada have the rod bearing replacement done and have a rough cost for that job? $2000? $3000? Anyone had a used engine replacement?

Repair should be out of the question at this point unfortunetly because if you found shavings in the filter chances are there are plenty in the oil routes , oil pump etc which will further cause damage even after you do the rod bearings if thats the issue. If you warranty agrees ovb choice is new
engine from bmw lol but you might have to go used it all depends on your coverage. Good luck I know this can be frusturating
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaus View Post
Quote:

Repair should be out of the question at this point unfortunetly because if you found shavings in the filter chances are there are plenty in the oil routes , oil pump etc which will further cause damage even after you do the rod bearings if thats the issue. If you warranty agrees ovb choice is new
engine from bmw lol but you might have to go used it all depends on your coverage. Good luck I know this can be frusturating
yeah. I was thinking about that. So the entire oil path is contaminated with metal shavings which means probably all the cylinders as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
yeah. I was thinking about that. So the entire oil path is contaminated with metal shavings which means probably all the cylinders as well.
How much metal? Shimmers or corn flakes?

Just metsl doesn't mean its toast by any means. Dont drive it and have the bearings replaced. I just had mine done for 3k
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
How much metal? Shimmers or corn flakes?

Just metsl doesn't mean its toast by any means. Dont drive it and have the bearings replaced. I just had mine done for 3k
Wow good to know. Did you replace your rod bearings as a preventative maintenance? And also which rods bearings did you go with? I got a quote for 4.2k from a local shop and that includes rb replacements (wpc or kings), engine mount, tranny mount, and some other stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

There's chap in Chicago,forget the name, that rebuild your motor for around $10k,clean it all out and replace all parts that are gone,broken or damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter_Brazy View Post
Wow good to know. Did you replace your rod bearings as a preventative maintenance? And also which rods bearings did you go with? I got a quote for 4.2k from a local shop and that includes rb replacements (wpc or kings), engine mount, tranny mount, and some other stuff too.
Jist to clarify, i meant pu the upper oil pan and look at the bearings and crank shaft to determime what needs to be replaced. Of you have minor noise, minimal metal than ot is very possible you can get away with replacing the bearings alone. You may pull it apart and find that you need to have the crank turned or worse. But you really wont know until you pull it apart.

I paid 3k for the rod bearings and motor mounts as preventative. I have been chasing a ticking noise amd decided to do the besrings so i could inspect the bottom end at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Repair Update

So my warranty company wants a diagnosis done first to determine what damage if any has been done. They want a compression test and some other stuff that amounts to about 7 hrs of labor and for me a $1600 CAD bill on my dime. After that they will determine what to do. My policy has already paid out $8000 or so for the past 3 years and they only pay up to value of car (currently sits around 28,000 CAD) for total time the policy is active. So I have about $20K they might be will to pay. I just want the car running well enough that I can trade it in for something else. The metal flakes were primarily in the oil filter. I'm not sure how much made it way into the rest of the engine. I think part of the diagnostic might be to pull more of it apart to see the scope of damage or work required. If it really is the rod bearings only and the rest of the engine is ok then they would likely cover the few thousand to get that replaced.
Appreciate 0