BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
catserfp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3-10 / M2-17

It seems to me they owe you some $$$... sharing profits is good... especially when it's your work.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #46
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

hope they don't try to use one of my realistic rendering I made

04-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #47
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Jon, you owe it to yourself to at least talk to a lawyer. You need to get paid for this. In all seriousness they have stolen your intellectual property that you have put many hours into creating, and they are a major magazine.

It's no different than Warner Brothers putting an Usher song in one of their movies and not paying him for it then saying "Ooops we're really sorry about that". Sure maybe they remix the song, but it's still the work of the original artist.

Don't let too much time pass before you explore your options and my guess is they will settle with you because it is so blatant. Keep us posted!

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #48
jonsibal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: widebody hooptie

Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

Although fair and seem logical to pursue monetary compensation for this, I'm choosing to just let it go and move on. I got what I wanted out of this which is the admission of fault from Car&Driver and an apology from their artist. I had a feeling that C&D had no knowledge of where their artist got his material from but since it was their magazine that the rendering appeared on, they had a share of responsibility to clear it up - which they did. So all good in the hood.

Back to drawing cars.
      04-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #49
IE#02
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / e46 M3 / R35 GTR

I understand being upset about this. Having said that I bet 99% of rendering artists use original photos without permission too. It works both ways. Its also true that most 'renderings' are simply modified versions of somebody else's intellectual property (component designs/photos).

Jonsibal, i notice you haven't given credit to whoever took the original photos. I think this is kind of hypercritical. If I was the photographer I might have a similar reason to be upset. It's an interesting discussion. BTW i think your renderings are very good - which explains why people will steal them so wilfully. Bastards.

Ps. Like somebody else said, use this to get your talent noticed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #50
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsibal View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

Although fair and seem logical to pursue monetary compensation for this, I'm choosing to just let it go and move on. I got what I wanted out of this which is the admission of fault from Car&Driver and an apology from their artist. I had a feeling that C&D had no knowledge of where their artist got his material from but since it was their magazine that the rendering appeared on, they had a share of responsibility to clear it up - which they did. So all good in the hood.

Back to drawing cars.
I admire your nobility in this sue-crazy world we live in. Many would be out for blood with a much less prove-able case.

I hope C&D hire's you for renders in the future. Oh ya and buy a big frame and put that magazine in it so that you can tell everyone the story when they come to your house

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #51
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Jon - sucks to have your work stolen, at least C&D admitted the issue....

Apparently your were a victim of a "photochop-shop"...keep up the good work, we all love it.
      04-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #52
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

C&D artist fail!
i would be embarrassed if i were that artist/stealer.

jonsibal ftw!
      05-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #53
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Jon, your work is great and like others have said already, I really respect the fact that you're willing to close the book on this one with acknowledgment and apology from the offenders. They should hire you to do some work for them in the future!

I hope that you get some good exposure from this and maybe we'll see more of your work in magazines in the future (rightfully obtained, of course!)