Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Punctured driver's side tires

2013 M5

Dropped car off at dealership in the morning for service (break fluid and recall notice). I received a call around 2 that the car was ready. About an hour later I am notified that my drivers side front tire is not holding air / flat. And they are investigating.

I then make my way over to the dealership and then I am told that both drivers side (front and back) tires are punctured and the culprit was the car wash (which is extremely annoying bc I usually tell them not to wash, but I digress). Apparently when they drove up to the machine that pulls the car forward in neutral, something punctured both tires.

I asked to see the vehicle as they were currently replacing the tires. it was on the lift and you could clearly see the punctures. They were on the inside of the tire (meaning right side of the tire facing forward) right next to the rim.

End result they quickly replaced both tires with new. I checked and 3 miles were put on the vehicle. I then left feeling somewhat uneasy.

When driving away I noticed the hip hop stations were on and they jacked the bass all the way. I'm now somewhat nervous that something else might have caused the tire issue.

Any thoughts here? Anything I should check? Complain?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Unreal, sorry to hear that. What a disgusting feeling. I always snap a phone photo of my mileage when dropping off...

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Not sure about all but most I have been to will take it for a quick ride after to make sure all is well.. Mine will generally put 1-2 miles on the car (rounding, generally the up and back for them is about 1 mile)...

In any case 3 miles doesn't seem to bad, having someone mess with the radio is definitely annoying..

Not sure what else for you to check though, with only 3 miles there wasn't too much that could be done, maybe someone screwed up but at least they replaced the tires quickly..

Only thing you might check is how worn the other tires are, not good to run two fairly worn down and two new...
      12-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Ziff73
Private
Rep

Thx for the feedback. I wasn't too concerned about the 3 miles, however coupled with the hip hop / bass ++ (no offense to hip hop lovers) and 2 blown tires, I started to get. Little nervous.

I wish there was a way to "record" car movements while the owner is away. I.E LoJack that maps out where it went and how fast.

Car only has ~13k miles and tread not that worn so far so hopefully uneven tread not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziff73 View Post
Thx for the feedback. I wasn't too concerned about the 3 miles, however coupled with the hip hop / bass ++ (no offense to hip hop lovers) and 2 blown tires, I started to get. Little nervous.

I wish there was a way to "record" car movements while the owner is away. I.E LoJack that maps out where it went and how fast.

Car only has ~13k miles and tread not that worn so far so hopefully uneven tread not an issue.
Dude, think about it, how the heck do you want the car wash to blow your tires?? What really happened is some idiot tech took your car for a ride and probably hit a "low" sidewalk or some object and blew your tires. Hence your clue with the music and bass! they are just giving you a bullshit reason for the blown tires but it's not the car wash trust me!!!
look at your rims carefully, they might have some damage as well or maybe they replaced them too...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I would be concerned of having tires on the same axle with that much difference in tire wear.

A 13k mile difference may cause alignment issues.. thus safety issues in inclement weather conditions or if/when you're attempting to avoid an accident under hard breaking, etc., etc. At least that's the "cautionary guidance" my BMW dealership has provided me in the past when I've had a puncture that's required a tire replacement.

If it were my car, I would demand new tires all the way around. In agreement with above - have the rims and alignment checked as well.
      12-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Damn kids and their hippidy hop music!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Ziff73
Private
Rep

I had left a message for the service director and he called me back and apologized for the inconvenience. He assured me it was not the result of a joyride as I mentioned the music/bass combo didn't leave me feeling particularly good.

He said it was a result of the wide M wheels that weren't compatible with their new automatic washing system. Maybe he's blowing smoke up my a** but no real way to know.

From a cursory look The rim looked ok, but I like the idea of requiring an alignment check. Baring any actual evidence to the contrary, I doubt they would spring for the other 2 tires. I assume they are very $$$.

I have an ODB II interface from coding, can I use this to extract vehicle data?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
I had left a message for the service director and he called me back and apologized for the inconvenience. He assured me it was not the result of a joyride as I mentioned the music/bass combo didn't leave me feeling particularly good.

He said it was a result of the wide M wheels that weren't compatible with their new automatic washing system. Maybe he's blowing smoke up my a** but no real way to know.

From a cursory look The rim looked ok, but I like the idea of requiring an alignment check. Baring any actual evidence to the contrary, I doubt they would spring for the other 2 tires. I assume they are very $$$.

LOL! Ask him how they wash X5's then?!!

My advice to you is to get a dash cam and do a hidden install like I did. Total piece of mind.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Ziff73
Private
Rep

As a side, I love music and I have no problem with hip hop. Hopefully they just had it on while cleaning the car.

I just hope it wasn't the nightmare scenario of the joyrider pumping tunes launch controlling into pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I would be concerned of having tires on the same axle with that much difference in tire wear.

A 13k mile difference may cause alignment issues.. thus safety issues in inclement weather conditions or if/when you're attempting to avoid an accident under hard breaking, etc., etc. At least that's the "cautionary guidance" my BMW dealership has provided me in the past when I've had a puncture that's required a tire replacement.

If it were my car, I would demand new tires all the way around. In agreement with above - have the rims and alignment checked as well.
^^THIS
OP, you need 4 new tires. Start talking to them and worst case scenario accept to pay for one tire and they pay for the other one. You will have some issue according to not equal thread on the same axle as @Seanmag explained
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
Ziff73
Private
Rep

Thx. That what I was thinking. Split the cost for the other 2 tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I normally reset the trip settings 40-50 miles from when I take it in. That way if they have been driving it hard the MPGs will drop like crazy on the trip computer.
      12-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Ziff73
Private
Rep

Out of curiosity. What does 50 miles get you? Why not right before?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I would have to agree 13k miles is almost halfway through the practical life of the tires. They are not new. My $ .02. Ask for all new tires or huge discount on the remaining old rubber! (Michelin tire warranty on rears is only 25k miles)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

At least they had the tires in stock
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Ziff73
Private
Rep

I was somewhat suspicious about them using incorrect tires but I think they are the correct Michelin PSS models.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Get the other 2 replaced........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

[QUOTE=RPiM5;17050465]LOL! Ask him how they wash X5's then?!!

Good call, I could not get my X5 with my 20" to get washed at the car wash either. So, how to hell .... M5 .... damage.....tires.... something is not right here.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
Ziff73
Private
Rep

Update:
Service Director has agreed to a complimentary alignment but was unwilling to include replacement tires for the passenger side, even at 50%.

I reiterated my concern and that I spoke with other service advisors at competing local dealerships and they said I should demand full replacement.

He said would take my grievance up to the fixed operations director...

To be continued...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Quote:

Really?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Update:
Service Director has agreed to a complimentary alignment but was unwilling to include replacement tires for the passenger side, even at 50%.

I reiterated my concern and that I spoke with other service advisors at competing local dealerships and they said I should demand full replacement.

He said would take my grievance up to the fixed operations director...

To be continued...
I would not want a high performance sedan with massive torque where one side of the car had 100% tread and the other side had 50%. That is inherently unsafe and will get worse as the older tires are used. Good luck getting this sorted.
Appreciate 0