M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

F10 M5 Laser Jammer Installs (post yours)

Please post your laser jammer install photos.
1. Photo of front jammers
2. Photo of rear jammers
3. Photo of interior switch/light locations

What kind of jammers did you install (what version?) and how do you like them? Anyone buy vertical versions (LI) and install them into the front grille?

I need to purchase a set and i'm unsure what route to go. The Laser Interceptor website seems so outdated its hard to take anything away from it. Looks like you can choose either horizontal jammers or a special vertical type if you wanted to install into the front grilles? I normally like to install mine front center of the front bumper (mounted at the top) and also mounted onto the rear diffuser.

If you did any special Valentine 1 or other radar detector install, please post that install as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
ONO5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

LI's are the only jammers worth getting and if you do plan on putting them in the kidney grills get the vertical BMW versions. If you do install them in the grill, you want to be with in 2 degrees of perfectly level on all axis. A guy over at RDF has a pretty nice install on his M3 if you want to take a look.

http://www.radardetectorforum.org/sh...ad.php?t=18451

I'll post my pictures once i do the install of everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
2. Photo of rear jammers

What kind of jammers did you install (what version?) and how do you like them? Anyone buy vertical versions (LI) and install them into the front grille?

I need to purchase a set and i'm unsure what route to go. The Laser Interceptor website seems so outdated its hard to take anything away from it. Looks like you can choose either horizontal jammers or a special vertical type if you wanted to install into the front grilles? I normally like to install mine front center of the front bumper (mounted at the top) and also mounted onto the rear diffuser.

If you did any special Valentine 1 or other radar detector install, please post that install as well.
AVINCH - I've had LI on 3 cars now including 2 F10s. I'm happy to show you my setup and give you a walkthrough of why I selected it over others and also key installation tips. Regarding mounting, There are really 3 options which work on the front of the F10 depending on what weaknesses you are prepared to accept and how much you are willing to spend, and only 1 option on the rear.

I'm in South Beach, but happy to meet anywhere central next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
AVINCH - I've had LI on 3 cars now including 2 F10s. I'm happy to show you my setup and give you a walkthrough of why I selected it over others and also key installation tips. Regarding mounting, There are really 3 options which work on the front of the F10 depending on what weaknesses you are prepared to accept and how much you are willing to spend, and only 1 option on the rear.

I'm in South Beach, but happy to meet anywhere central next weekend.
Did you mount and install them yourself or do you have a shop that knows what they are doing?

Normally I do 2 heads up front and 2 heads in the rear. If I decide to do V1 stealth install in addition to LI install, does this mean I need 4 front and 4 rear? Or can the LI and V1 share the heads for a quad install (2f/2r).

Any chance you can upload some pics? Maybe we can also setup a SoFl May M meet for a weekend during middle of May.

- @avlnch
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what I have been thinking about.. which might change as I learn more about whats possible and whats not possible in terms of effectiveness and maybe even mounting.

Valentine 1 (2f/2r)
Etched rear view mirror ('invisible' when turned off)
Unit and wires tucked into headliner (light/sunroof motor area)

Laser Interceptor (2f/2r)
Alert light (red) integrated into headliner lights
Alert speaker integrated into headliner behind lights
CPU unit mounted in area under steering wheel (black plastic) cut out for easy USB connection (for updating)

Laser Unit Locations
Front Diodes: behind the honeycomb grill (cut out for sensor if necessary).
Rear Diodes: wherever possible, but hopefully not the license plate.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

Legal?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Michael View Post
Legal?
Varies by state. In Florida and Georgia - Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I have been thinking about.. which might change as I learn more about whats possible and whats not possible in terms of effectiveness and maybe even mounting.

Valentine 1 (2f/2r)
Etched rear view mirror ('invisible' when turned off)
Unit and wires tucked into headliner (light/sunroof motor area)

Laser Interceptor (2f/2r)
Alert light (red) integrated into headliner lights
Alert speaker integrated into headliner behind lights
CPU unit mounted in area under steering wheel (black plastic) cut out for easy USB connection (for updating)

Laser Unit Locations
Front Diodes: behind the honeycomb grill (cut out for sensor if necessary).
Rear Diodes: wherever possible, but hopefully not the license plate.
A few thoughts.

You may issues with interference between the V1 and the blindspot warning system if you have that feature. Also the V1 is no longer the best radar for picking up short bursts of instant on or quick trigger radar. The Bel STIR+ crushes the V1 on this when properly configured. It also has better range and has no issues with BSW since it is mounted at the front of the car.

Laser units won't be effective behind the grille. You have three options:

1) Place them on the edge of the upper lip of the lower intake. If you do this you will need HP sensors, and they must stick out a little. They cannot be recessed or you will get readings on the bonnet. This placement can cause issues if you have installed a clear bra.

2) Place them in the grille vertically. This requires either BMW sensors or HP sensors.

3) For ultimate protection, do 2 and put additional regular sensors in your foglight intake area - i.e. 4 sensors on front, 2 HP and 2 regular or 2 BMW and 2 regular.

Rear diodes should go on the lip above the license plate as wide as possible. The diffuser is too low. It can be mounted without drilling any holes and is actually quite subtle.

I don't post pics online of my install. But I have tested it against 6 laser guns now and it is invincible for most purposes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
ONO5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
A few thoughts.

You may issues with interference between the V1 and the blindspot warning system if you have that feature. Also the V1 is no longer the best radar for picking up short bursts of instant on or quick trigger radar. The Bel STIR+ crushes the V1 on this when properly configured. It also has better range and has no issues with BSW since it is mounted at the front of the car.

Laser units won't be effective behind the grille. You have three options:

1) Place them on the edge of the upper lip of the lower intake. If you do this you will need HP sensors, and they must stick out a little. They cannot be recessed or you will get readings on the bonnet. This placement can cause issues if you have installed a clear bra.

2) Place them in the grille vertically. This requires either BMW sensors or HP sensors.

3) For ultimate protection, do 2 and put additional regular sensors in your foglight intake area - i.e. 4 sensors on front, 2 HP and 2 regular or 2 BMW and 2 regular.

Rear diodes should go on the lip above the license plate as wide as possible. The diffuser is too low. It can be mounted without drilling any holes and is actually quite subtle.

I don't post pics online of my install. But I have tested it against 6 laser guns now and it is invincible for most purposes.
+1

STIR+ if going with concealed unit. If you are going with window mounted Redline would probably be the choice as it has custom sweeps as well.
      04-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

You can see my LI install here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833804
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I just sold my V1.

I also have Bel STiR plus installed with LI quad BMW edition. Works as advertised. Not cheap but the best protection available for this car.

I have vertical grill mounted front sensors and horizontal rears.

Search this forum. This has been discussed at length before.

My display is mounted in my rear view mirror and my control module is in the ashtray. Totally Stealth.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
I just sold my V1.

I also have Bel STiR plus installed with LI quad BMW edition. Works as advertised. Not cheap but the best protection available for this car.

My display is mounted in my rear view mirror and my control module is in the ashtray. Totally Stealth.
Would you mind posting photos of your setup? It's basically exactly what I hand in mind, so photos would help me a lot.. of the front, rear, and also the interior (mirror and switches).
      04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
My feedback on hinckly's install would be that the fronts are almost perfect but may be a little recessed. The rears are too recessed. I won't publish publicly the risk entailed by the recessing in each case but I could find a way to read speed on these placements - although for 90% of shots you will be fine. It also looks like they may have drilled the trunk to mount these. The drilling is unnecessary if done smartly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
I just sold my V1.

Would you mind posting photos of your setup? It's basically exactly what I hand in mind, so photos would help me a lot.. of the front, rear, and also the interior (mirror and switches).
I will try and get a few pics up tomorrow.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
My feedback on hinckly's install would be that the fronts are almost perfect but may be a little recessed. The rears are too recessed. I won't publish publicly the risk entailed by the recessing in each case but I could find a way to read speed on these placements - although for 90% of shots you will be fine. It also looks like they may have drilled the trunk to mount these. The drilling is unnecessary if done smartly.
No drilling was required. Interesting comments about placement, but I can't argue one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
No drilling was required. Interesting comments about placement, but I can't argue one way or the other.
Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2. Photo of rear jammers

Here is the thread with some install pics.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=laser
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Rear Install:

Front Install:

Brain unit is located inside of here:

This way I can pull off cover and easily connect to serial port to update when needed.

Valentine 1 with Blendmount:

Concealed display:

Custom Cover:

Switches:

Hope the pics help you out.

Windshield cover:
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@stealth.pilot so I have basically decided on front grille vertical mounted LI. I know the best placement is 3 slats inwards from the headlight. Problem is, I have the night vision which is located at that location on the right grille.

Is the better route to go 2 slats inwards or 4 slats inwards?
      04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@stealth.pilot so I have basically decided on front grille vertical mounted LI. I know the best placement is 3 slats inwards from the headlight. Problem is, I have the night vision which is located at that location on the right grille.

I don't know. I would imagine you would have to test it.

The issue with 4 slats inward is whether it covers the corners of the car and the front fenders. The issue with 2 slats is that the curvature of the grille means the sensors won't be able to see a lidar shot which comes from the right hand side and is aimed at the left corner of the left headlight. I tested the 2 slat position and had issues with it. That said if you have the sensors sticking out far enough then this won't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Go 2 slats in like I have. You will have no problems.
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0