M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

05-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 - Totaled :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
So can you trade in a car with ED? Is it still the same as if you are buying the car direct from the dealer?
I believe so. I mean you can finance like any other car so I don't see why a trade wouldn't also be possible. My dealer just said we'll cover all the details for money, financing, and etc. in the purchase contract.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #24
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
So can you trade in a car with ED? Is it still the same as if you are buying the car direct from the dealer?
I don't think theres anything from stopping you from doing a trade in if you do an ED. The issue becomes what will you drive while you wait for re-delivery...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
The car needs to be paid for at least a week before delivery day. That means you'll sign all the paperwork, make your down payment, etc. at that time. If you're trading in a car, you'll hand it over then too.

It's the same as any other car purchase except that you don't drive the car off the lot that day.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
The car needs to be paid for at least a week before delivery day. That means you'll sign all the paperwork, make your down payment, etc. at that time. If you're trading in a car, you'll hand it over then too.

It's the same as any other car purchase except that you don't drive the car off the lot that day.
I guess that was what I was getting at - timing. So ok, you turn in the car one week prior. Not really a big issue for me as I could borrow a car from the in-laws for like 6 weeks awaiting re-delivery. Thanks guys, deposit going down very soon!

Funny, my in-laws have a '89 5 series - should be nice getting used to that then moving into an F10 M5.
      05-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

I know that for ED, pick up would be Munich but drop off could be several cities in Europe. This will be my first time to do ED and would like to drive from Germany to Austria then Italy (to do the passes) and then back North to probably France. Could anybody suggest the best place to drop off the car. I believe, Italy is quite a hassle because if the car is dropped in Italy, it has to be driven back by some hired guy back to Germany. So am thinking of dropping it in Paris, maybe. I would appreciate any ideas on this as I am quite clueless regarding ED especially the drop off point.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

European Delivery Heading into Winter

Can someone give me some good advice as to the latest date in the Fall that I should consider for a ED to avoid snow and wintry conditions? I plan to head south from Munich and mabe even drop it off south (Italy), but dont want to be dealing with 560hp and ice at the same time .
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
Can someone give me some good advice as to the latest date in the Fall that I should consider for a ED to avoid snow and wintry conditions? I plan to head south from Munich and mabe even drop it off south (Italy), but dont want to be dealing with 560hp and ice at the same time .
Thanks in advance.
October 15th is the date that you can no longer drive on summer tires in Germany. It's a law of some kind but I don't know the specifics. The M5 tires are certainly not allowed after that date.

I did my ED last year during the last two weeks of September. That put the end of my trip 2 weeks before the cutoff. I figured, if the law is October 15th then they must expect that bad weather can begin as early as that, so I gave myself a 2 week buffer.

I went south into Austria, Switzerland, Italy (lake Como), then back north into Germany and ended in Amsterdam. We encountered no bad weather but the Stelvio Pass was closed from snow the week before. The Fluella Pass was open and the road was clear but there was a foot of snow on the ground from the same storm. San Bernadino was open and there were only a few patches of snow here and there but none on the road. We had some light rain here and there, and it was gloomy and cold in Munich, but overall it was very nice weather.

The end of September is the latest I will go, unless I were picking up a xdrive car with appropriate tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
dingding
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 Carrera GT, 2012 750IAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewEW View Post
I know that for ED, pick up would be Munich but drop off could be several cities in Europe. This will be my first time to do ED and would like to drive from Germany to Austria then Italy (to do the passes) and then back North to probably France. Could anybody suggest the best place to drop off the car. I believe, Italy is quite a hassle because if the car is dropped in Italy, it has to be driven back by some hired guy back to Germany. So am thinking of dropping it in Paris, maybe. I would appreciate any ideas on this as I am quite clueless regarding ED especially the drop off point.
you can do drop off at Nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
October 15th is the date that you can no longer drive on summer tires in Germany. It's a law of some kind but I don't know the specifics. The M5 tires are certainly not allowed after that date.

I did my ED last year during the last two weeks of September. That put the end of my trip 2 weeks before the cutoff. I figured, if the law is October 15th then they must expect that bad weather can begin as early as that, so I gave myself a 2 week buffer.

I went south into Austria, Switzerland, Italy (lake Como), then back north into Germany and ended in Amsterdam. We encountered no bad weather but the Stelvio Pass was closed from snow the week before. The Fluella Pass was open and the road was clear but there was a foot of snow on the ground from the same storm. San Bernadino was open and there were only a few patches of snow here and there but none on the road. We had some light rain here and there, and it was gloomy and cold in Munich, but overall it was very nice weather.

The end of September is the latest I will go, unless I were picking up a xdrive car with appropriate tires.
Valuable information, thank you. On my last european delivery, I dropped the car off and flew back to US on Sept 11 (the Sept 11). But thats a different story.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
dingding
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 Carrera GT, 2012 750IAH

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you want to drive a brand new M5 to south Italy???If you drop off in Italy (the one exception), your car is driven back to Munich to be shipped back to you. The risk is that you are allowing a stranger to drive your brand new car. And Keep in mind, for Italia drop offs, you must have insurance valid for the drive back from Italy to Munich - at least 4 days!
Also, I was told do not go to south Italy, and Rome should be the stop point.

I find this post on another board:

"Start with the understanding that virtually every other Italian driver; man, woman and child; is absolutely convinced that they too could drive for the Ferrari F1 team if only they'd get a shot.

Pay attention. Concentrate. Focus. Letting your attention wander can have very serious consequences since the roads are narrow, there's lots of merging and other drivers are expecting you to get with the program for their safety and yours.

On the Autostrada, keep yous a$$ to the right if you're not overtaking, and NEVER overtake on the right. Europeans never do it and they won't anticipate you being there. Lane discipline is extremely important too. It's very common to be doing well in excess of 80 in the left lane, right next to a solid line of great big trucks with tags from all over Europe doing maybe 15 . You wouldn't want one of them suddenly deciding to jump over into your lane, now would you?

In town, streets will be VERY narrow and you will have to share them with locals who know exactly where they're going and are intent on getting there right now. This includes pedestrians, kids on motor scooters, other cars, and the biggest damned tour buses you've ever seen. If you can't quickly develop a solid feel for the size of your car and where its corners are, avoid these situations.

NAV is an absolute must IMHO - either OEM or aftermarket. See paragraph above. In addition, it will save much unneccessary tension between you and your map-reading human navigator if you're trying to cope with paper maps and road signs.

Naples and the Amalfi Coast is home to the rightful heirs of the Kamikaze pilots' spirit and approach. I've been a lot of places and driven in all of them, and I don't say this lightly. Not for the faint of heart.

Parking can be very interesting. Everything's built to the scale of teensy Fiats - especially parking garages. Ignore the various "no parking" signs on the streets at your peril - even if everyone else seems to be doing it. Biggest difference is that they're probably locals who know when to move in order to avoid a walk to the local police station to pay a nice fine.

The Autostrada around Genoa goes through scores of tunnels - one right after another. They're narrow, you'll often be overtaking trucks and they can have all sorts of turns and surprises inside them. Make sure you're fresh and focused when taking on this stretch of highway. I did it once at the end of a long day in the car as dark was coming on and it was not fun."

Last edited by dingding; 05-09-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding View Post
Are you sure you want to drive a brand new M5 to south Italy???If you drop off in Italy (the one exception), your car is driven back to Munich to be shipped back to you. The risk is that you are allowing a stranger to drive your brand new car. And Keep in mind, for Italia drop offs, you must have insurance valid for the drive back from Italy to Munich - at least 4 days!
Also, I was told do not go to south Italy, and Rome should be the stop point.

I find this post on another board:

"Start with the understanding that virtually every other Italian driver; man, woman and child; is absolutely convinced that they too could drive for the Ferrari F1 team if only they'd get a shot.

Pay attention. Concentrate. Focus. Letting your attention wander can have very serious consequences since the roads are narrow, there's lots of merging and other drivers are expecting you to get with the program for their safety and yours.

On the Autostrada, keep yous a$$ to the right if you're not overtaking, and NEVER overtake on the right. Europeans never do it and they won't anticipate you being there. Lane discipline is extremely important too. It's very common to be doing well in excess of 80 in the left lane, right next to a solid line of great big trucks with tags from all over Europe doing maybe 15 . You wouldn't want one of them suddenly deciding to jump over into your lane, now would you?

In town, streets will be VERY narrow and you will have to share them with locals who know exactly where they're going and are intent on getting there right now. This includes pedestrians, kids on motor scooters, other cars, and the biggest damned tour buses you've ever seen. If you can't quickly develop a solid feel for the size of your car and where its corners are, avoid these situations.

NAV is an absolute must IMHO - either OEM or aftermarket. See paragraph above. In addition, it will save much unneccessary tension between you and your map-reading human navigator if you're trying to cope with paper maps and road signs.

Naples and the Amalfi Coast is home to the rightful heirs of the Kamikaze pilots' spirit and approach. I've been a lot of places and driven in all of them, and I don't say this lightly. Not for the faint of heart.

Parking can be very interesting. Everything's built to the scale of teensy Fiats - especially parking garages. Ignore the various "no parking" signs on the streets at your peril - even if everyone else seems to be doing it. Biggest difference is that they're probably locals who know when to move in order to avoid a walk to the local police station to pay a nice fine.

The Autostrada around Genoa goes through scores of tunnels - one right after another. They're narrow, you'll often be overtaking trucks and they can have all sorts of turns and surprises inside them. Make sure you're fresh and focused when taking on this stretch of highway. I did it once at the end of a long day in the car as dark was coming on and it was not fun."
I was planning to drop off in Venice. However I was just on BMWUSA ED website and noticed that it had to be driven back. That is not an option.

As for that description of driving in Italy especially on the coast, that was a tame description. Did Milan to Genoa to Monaco. White knuckled the entire way. Wife kept asking me what was wrong and I was too busy paying attention to my driving to respond. Like Grand Theft Auto with real cars. The tunnels were the best, especially with a semi coming the other way.

To make it even more contentious, you have to remember that you have a maximum speed you are not to exceed in the break in period. so going around others and out of the way sometimes becomes difficult.

I am going to rethink my trip.

Last edited by chillin4now; 05-09-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #34
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I was planning to drop off in Venice and take Orient Express back to Paris to fly home. However I was just on BMWUSA ED website and noticed that it had to be driven back. That is not an option.

As for that description of driving in Italy especially on the coast, that was a tame description. Did Milan to Genoa to Monaco. White knuckled the entire way. Wife kept asking me what was wrong and I was too busy paying attention to my driving to respond. Like Grand Theft Auto with real cars. The tunnels were the best, especially with a semi coming the other way.

To make it even more contentious, you have to remember that you have a maximum speed you are not to exceed in the break in period. so going around others and out of the way sometimes becomes difficult.

I am going to rethink my trip. May do a loop of Munich, Albertville, Milan , Muncih.
For this reason I will be taking delivery and driving directly to port to ship out.
      05-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For this reason I will be taking delivery and driving directly to port to ship out.
Drive from Welt to the shipper directly? Do not pass go, etc. etc? Not much of a trip is it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #36
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Drive from Welt to the shipper directly? Do not pass go, etc. etc? Not much of a trip is it?
Sounds boring, but knowing me, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wondering how safe it is where my car is parked in a foreign land. I'm pretty OCD with my cars, and driving a $100k car in a place I'm unfamiliar with driving habits, laws, parking etc. would probably ruin my trip. My main incentive to do ED is the savings since we will fly using miles and just the experience of seeing where my car was "born". We'll do a week in Italy as well, but a rental is fine for that.

I can wait to drive my M5 on American soil where I know where I'm going and what to expect.
      05-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds boring, but knowing me, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wondering how safe it is where my car is parked in a foreign land. I'm pretty OCD with my cars, and driving a $100k car in a place I'm unfamiliar with driving habits, laws, parking etc. would probably ruin my trip. My main incentive to do ED is the savings since we will fly using miles and just the experience of seeing where my car was "born". We'll do a week in Italy as well, but a rental is fine for that.

I can wait to drive my M5 on American soil where I know where I'm going and what to expect.
Understood. I too, am very OCD, but when you get to Europe, Munich in particular, you get the sense that it is a whole city of people just like you and me that pay attention to driving, details, accuracy.

I actually feel better with my car there than here at home, where joe bag of donuts in the minivan is texting and eating a big mac while barreling down the wrong lane of the interstate, trying to yell at 5 kids playing volleyball in the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #38
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
Delivery date?

We're booked for 9/3 delivery in Munich, anyone else delivering that day or close to it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Understood. I too, am very OCD, but when you get to Europe, Munich in particular, you get the sense that it is a whole city of people just like you and me that pay attention to driving, details, accuracy.

I actually feel better with my car there than here at home, where joe bag of donuts in the minivan is texting and eating a big mac while barreling down the wrong lane of the interstate, trying to yell at 5 kids playing volleyball in the back.
Seeing people text or talk and drive infuriates me. At times I want to take their phone and smash it while Im at a stoplight.
      05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
So for shipment to the US - are you using the same shipping services as if it were a regular delivery from BMW to your dealer? Is anything compromised?
      05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #41
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23
Quote:

You're going to kick yourself later if you don't spend at least a couple of days driving your car around. Almost universally everyone says driving in Germany is a much more pleasant experience than the US so you shouldn't worry about being unfamiliar. Just don't drive it in Italy and you'll be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #42
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23
So for shipment to the US - are you using the same shipping services as if it were a regular delivery from BMW to your dealer? Is anything compromised?
You don't pick the shipping service. And BMW ships it over using the same process and companies as it does for their non-ED cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #43
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
You're going to kick yourself later if you don't spend at least a couple of days driving your car around. Almost universally everyone says driving in Germany is a much more pleasant experience than the US so you shouldn't worry about being unfamiliar. Just don't drive it in Italy and you'll be just fine.
So maybe Ill drive around Germany while Im there then do Italy with a rental.
      06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #44
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
I agree, the M5 was meant to be driven on the Autobahn. Drive for a few days in Germany, then turn your car in.
Appreciate 0