M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
jaylee619
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black Sapphire M5 competi

New M5 brake thread help please

Ok so I have searched and searched and found little to no info on how to stop the brake squeal.
1. Cleaned the brakes and wheels - noise stopped for 10-20 mins came right back just as loud.

2. Took car to dealer and the words of service manager "your brakes squeal like holy hell! You have 11 mm up front and 9 mm in the rear tons of pad left no reason to change unless you want the noise to go away. $1500 for the brake job. You need new rotors because your rotors are the cause of the noise there is a small bevel at the edge of the rotor because the pads bit into it. After your brakes heat up the brake starts to expand a little and is scraping on the bevel of the rotor causing the noise."

WTF so my pads are hard and squeak and I get it all high performance brakes make noise but not like this, this hurts my ears inside the car with a window cracked open.

I saw in some posts carbontech and cool carbon were recommended. Anyone have experience with these pads? I just want the noise to stop I will pay the price of some expensive brakes I don't care.

****HELP ME!!!****
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

when you wash the wheels what do you use to break the dust down from the disc and the caliper
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
rgb129
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP

I had them replace mine under the SIB for squealing. The new pads have large counter weights on them to deal with the vibration that causes the squeal. I also lucked out and had the front rotors replaced under the maintenance plan as they were just a hair under the 34.4mm allowance.

Even though they do not recommend it, another option is pull the pads and apply a vibration damper to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

Yes, you want the ones with the vibration dampers (weights).
They help reduce the squealing noise when braking.

BMW change the OEM pads from ones with no weight to ones with in April 2014 to try and reduce the noise made by the brakes.

Original OEM pads without damper weights (Before April 2014)

April 2014 + OEM pads with damper weights

BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.

Appreciate 0
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
jaylee619
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black Sapphire M5 competi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb129 View Post
I had them replace mine under the SIB for squealing. The new pads have large counter weights on them to deal with the vibration that causes the squeal. I also lucked out and had the front rotors replaced under the maintenance plan as they were just a hair under the 34.4mm allowance.

Even though they do not recommend it, another option is pull the pads and apply a vibration damper to them.
So I went to the dealer they said i already had the new pads on....in accordance with the SIB. Said its the bevel from the pads wearing down the rotor and when they heat up it touches and makes the noise.
Appreciate 0