Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #45
Inge_F
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I can't say I agree with this. Try driving a naturally aspirated car like a 458 or Huracan and then jumping into a turbo car and you'll see why this is indeed a sad fact.
Next gen. 458 will be a turbo. Ferrari must have turned sad then... Or they have just realized that they also must comply with EUs emission regulations, Regulations that's being completely ignored by most contributors to this discussion it seems... Or all discussions related to NA vs FI-engines for that matter, at least on this forum that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #46
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
with all these rumours floating around do you think the V10 would be back? and do you think an actual M supercar will come in future?

please say yes
I do not know for the M5 and M6 if such an engine would be considered.

In the long term we have to think about the V12 and its role in a sustainable environment. Electrifying the V12 is one option as is downsizing.
The recent BMW vision Future Luxury was a hybrid model in which the engine was not disclosed but it will head for production and will be discussed in the not so distant future.

Since the basis of the concept was the next Phantom you will be surprised that with electrification such an engine can produce the amount of power respondent and expected of the high luxury segment.
      10-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #47
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Personally I would never buy a car with a naturally aspirated engine ever again.
ever drive one of these?

more fun than any turbo car ive ever driven.
not to knock the turbos altogether, they do haul ass.
but to me, not the same experience, emotionally.
+1 thats why I am now starting to collect as many as I can. Got s straight 6 Na in my E9 csi + the epic Z4M coup just days ago. Sorry but NA is still superior to turbo. I actually prefer not to have so much torque making me work the manual transmission more, specially on winding roads. Sooo much more fun there.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #48
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
with all these rumours floating around do you think the V10 would be back? and do you think an actual M supercar will come in future?

please say yes

In the long term we have to think about the V12 and its role in a sustainable environment. Electrifying the V12 is one option as is downsizing.
The recent BMW vision Future Luxury was a hybrid model in which the engine was not disclosed but it will head for production and will be discussed in the not so distant future.

Since the basis of the concept was the next Phantom you will be surprised that with electrification such an engine can produce the amount of power respondent and expected of the high luxury segment.
So, next gen Phantom will have a V10 combined with hybrid powertrain...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #49
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

-6 MT now more expensive to make due to the need for an additional dedicated build line, transmission supplier and a separate setup which ultimately drives up the cost per unit

-6 MT is here to stay

-European 6 MT demand declining, North American "hardcore market" demands 6 MT

-Delicious BMW inline 6's will be developed for the foreseeable future

-The combination of six-cylinder and manual transmission is also here to stay, in M cars at least

That's about all I got. Did I miss anything?

Excellent interview BTW. Thanks for sharing Boss!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #50
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Lol! just keep praying for an actual M supercar with that mighty v10
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #51
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
-6 MT now more expensive to make due to the need for an additional dedicated build line, transmission supplier and a separate setup which ultimately drives up the cost per unit

-6 MT is here to stay

-European 6 MT demand declining, North American "hardcore market" demands 6 MT

-Delicious BMW inline 6's will be developed for the foreseeable future

-The combination of six-cylinder and manual transmission is also here to stay, in M cars at least

That's about all I got. Did I miss anything?

Excellent interview BTW. Thanks for sharing Boss!
Not in the next M5 or M6.
      10-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #52
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No since there will be two engine options for the Phantom.

Minus 4 from 10. Is what the VFL had under its bonnet.
      10-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #53
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No since there will be two engine options for the Phantom.

Minus 4 from 10. Is what the VFL had under its bonnet.
Thanks

So a V12 and a I6 then?

The VFL had a hybrid I6 drivetrain then
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #54
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

P1 for the masses people!

Is it me or BMW got its head stuck in the sand?

Bookends I get, but consider how much of a statement it would be to build a 458 buster marrying the tech of the i8 with classical dynamism of the M brand at a not too ridiculous price. Drive it in electric in the city during the week and blast it in the track on the weekend. Guilt free motoring turned up to 11. What a statement that would be?

They already are hinting at it but still you get the feeling that they have decided to do this project without involving the M guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #55
N & M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

6s and 12s make the sweetest sounds in cars, but I think over next generation there will be a need to retain a 12 to pander to the old guard. Eventually, everybody body will accept a 6 as responsible and correct choice going forward but that will for model that follows. I say keep the techies and earthier pleased with a cutting edge choice and keep the traditionalists happy for the time being with the known quantity. Expensive but hedges your bets.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #56
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post

Bookends I get, but consider how much of a statement it would be to build a 458 buster marrying the tech of the i8 with classical dynamism of the M brand at a not too ridiculous price. Drive it in electric in the city during the week and blast it in the track on the weekend. Guilt free motoring turned up to 11. What a statement that would be?

They already are hinting at it but still you get the feeling that they have decided to do this project without involving the M guys.
2016 Acura NSX.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #57
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Audi use them on their high powered diesel models already...
enough said.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #58
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M

bmw cant even make a proper eps. building a ferrari 458 competitor it would be like getting an armani suit and then wear sandals with it cause u cant afford shoes.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #59
N & M
Captain
Rep

Brand Cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
2016 Acura NSX.
True, Acura might have the engineering to pull it off but it lacks the brand and execution magic that BMW can muster.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:43 AM   #60
N & M
Captain
Rep

I humbly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
bmw cant even make a proper eps. building a ferrari 458 competitor it would be like getting an armani suit and then wear sandals with it cause u cant afford shoes.
A season does not make an entire record. I believe the brand powers that be have relized that something went wrong in the pursuit of ultimate segment supremacy and now they are seeking to recapture thier lost mojo.

The only obstacle in my opinion is economics as they have been investing in different directions and now have to somehow find the resources.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #61
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
thank god no FWD M, and AWD for the M5 is only optional not mandatory ... and the manual still lives on... Some good news... Now the question is, how will the next M5 turn out to be.
Yeah it's a good news that RWD still available; however I'm wondering how next M5/M6 can handle more power (and torque) with RWD! should be lots of fun
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #62
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Absolutely right! Having driven the Speciale for a few weeks now, I generally avoid driving the M5 unless I have to. The throttle response in the M5 feels lack lustre even in Sport Plus throttle setting. However, supercharging seems to be the ideal middle ground between NA and Turbo charging. It delivers on power/torque while maintaining the symphony that we love! Unfortunately, super charging is not the chosen approach by many manufacturers as it's ultimately a little less efficient when compared to turbo charging
I have a feeling that your M5 is gonna leave your garage soon
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #63
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
thank god no FWD M, and AWD for the M5 is only optional not mandatory ... and the manual still lives on... Some good news... Now the question is, how will the next M5 turn out to be.
Yeah it's a good news that RWD still available; however I'm wondering how next M5/M6 can handle more power (and torque) with RWD! should be lots of fun
I think that one other important thing to take from the interview was the weight diet they pursue. Lower weight more important than just adding power.

Perhaps not a big increase in power, but less weight is what the next M5/M6 will get?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #64
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Off-topic: In the interview he confirmed the study and development of V6 for M3/M4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
True, Acura might have the engineering to pull it off but it lacks the brand and execution magic that BMW can muster.
Brand? Brands are totally irrelevant for me. A good car is a good car whatever its brand. Honda S2000 over BMW Z4 sDrive20i. See what I mean?

What do you mean by magic? For me S2000 and NSX were "magic". Despite many years of absence, why cannot that "magic" return.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #65
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
A BMW supercar would be nice.

But a simple 2 seat "M" sports car with a fixed roof. Is that too much to ask?
I think BMW does not understand the difference between performance and image. 911 GT3/Turbo s not a supercar, but has supercar performance. That is something BMW does not have but many would like. What BMW thinks and understands that they do not need any status/image supercar like Audi R8, Mercedes SLS or Lexus LFA. What BMW does not understand is that Lexus LFA is not image status supercar, but a test and development project on resources and capabilities, and the AMG GT is just a sports car like Jaguar F-Type, and not status super car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #66
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I have a feeling that your M5 is gonna leave your garage soon
Hahaha. I have been toying with the idea of replacing it, but can't arrive at something ideal. I need something that seats 5 for the family.
Appreciate 0