erikm
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d

Garage List
2017 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Post My intro

Hi

(At first I'd like to apologize for probably submitting this message in the wrong thread/subject/etc. I am that stupid...)

After spending some time on the forum I decided to write something about my experience as a long term BMW fan and owner. So here we go:

First of all; Impressive amount of useful info in a way that is becoming rare on the internet. A lot of respect and useful guidance, even though some questions are basic till advanced.

Winter 2012: After getting rid of my angry saloon (C63, still miss the sound...) and my hair dressers car (R8, don't miss that one) I decided to make the jump for the M5 F10.

Name:  IMG_2982 1.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  437.7 KB

Not being a fan of turbo engines I hesitated for a while. But driving a diesel F10 for the last two years I knew how great the chassis, steering, weight distribution and interior was. And that's a regular off the shelf diesel(!).

Name:  IMG_3150.png
Views: 1010
Size:  347.2 KB

So after a month of tearjerking stories towards the BMW dealership I got it for the price I could bare to look at myself in the mirror. A Silverstone/Black with Performance Pack (or whatever it's called)

I did some minor mods right away:

Plasti dipped the wheels matte-black.
Plasti dipped the diffuser matte-black.
Had the side vents and front grille sprayed black.
Wrapped the interior trims black.
Installed a Stinger (www.stinger.com) to piss off the local popo.

Then took some drift and circuit training (not in my car but in a BMW provided M3 and M5). That's when I changed from confident to humble. This car does have a 2000kilo and 560HP combination. Especially the weight was something new for me (as you already know by now, owning a R8, I'm a rookie). As soon as the back brakes "free" you need to work. But it's all fun and games on a closed race track. So every F-up ended pretty safe.

The inevitable happened, I made the mistake of going to the track in my M5. So this happened after roughly 5 minutes on public road.

Name:  IMG_3944 1.JPG
Views: 1011
Size:  405.3 KB

Traction control off, left it in automatic, did a near perfect slide over an intersection, feeling pretty gangster passing the middle of the intersection making sure everybody's looking at me...and then the car decided to change gears, and decided to challenge me. Instead of pointing the wheels in the direction I was actually going, I think I decided to not do the right thing and hit a curb instead. I never wanna talk about that moment ever again.

This was clearly a sign I should be less-gangster. So I made a minor mod and got a 520d badge...

Name:  IMG_3363 1.PNG
Views: 960
Size:  687.6 KB

It's not a daily driver for me and nevertheless 2013 had a dreadful summer (in europe) I still managed to drive ±30.000 kms in 12 months. After owning the C63 I'm more than happy with the gas usage. The AMG could empty a full gas tank within the hour. The M5 on the other hand has an amazing engine/milage and less of a drinking problem than it's owner.

Recently I got bored again and was looking for something new. Instead of making a stupid choice and buying a midlife crisis car (was aiming for a SLS, nuff said) at 33 years old I decided to go another way. Digging through the forum (great inspiration) I got obsessed with getting the right engine/exhaust sound. To make a long story short: Installed a Akrap Titanium and opened the valves permanently (yes the Akrap has those as well).

Name:  IMG_1804 1.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  411.9 KB

The sound outside is another car, best mod/buy ever. It finally sounds like a 600HP-ish car. Very expensive (was looking at an Eissenmann as well) but worth it in the end.

The only downside is something that has to do with the position on earth I live. Somehow God really hates this part of the world because you couldn't imagine how shiity the weather is here 365 days a year. We get like 2 weeks of spring and 50 weeks of autumn. You can never open the window and not freeze your ass off. The car is so well isolated the interior experience of the exhaust note is still very faint. Any suggestions on improving that (without a saw & sledgehammer) is welcome.

Name:  1 1.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  395.4 KB

I have to talk about the performance experience from my point of view. It's mind boggling that you can drive this car (in Germany off course...) at 300kmh and still have a conversation in the car. It feels safe, feels lightweight, steering and/or brake corrections don't scare the living sh!t out of you, but most of all... It will just not stop pulling, in any gear, at any speed. It's so impressive I've totally forgiven the fact it has a turbo gap (don't care what anybody says how small, it's there). Kick it in 5th gear at 60kmh and you'll still be able to rip shreds of asphalt from the highway till you hit 300kmh, same gear. There should be an advertisement with that slogan, sales will go up.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  409.9 KB

Thanks for reading or ignoring this message. See you soon at a gas station anywhere.

/Erik

Last edited by erikm; 01-17-2014 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm View Post
Hi

(At first I'd like to apologize for probably submitting this message in the wrong thread/subject/etc. I am that stupid...)

After spending some time on the forum I decided to write something about my experience as a long term BMW fan and owner. So here we go:

First of all; Impressive amount of useful info in a way that is becoming rare on the internet. A lot of respect and useful guidance, even though some questions are basic till advanced.

Winter 2012: After getting rid of my angry saloon (C63, still miss the sound...) and my hair dressers car (R8, don't miss that one) I decided to make the jump for the M5 F10.

Attachment 965284

Not being a fan of turbo engines I hesitated for a while. But driving a diesel F10 for the last two years I knew how great the chassis, steering, weight distribution and interior was. And that's a regular off the shelf diesel(!).

Attachment 965285

So after a month of tearjerking stories towards the BMW dealership I got it for the price I could bare to look at myself in the mirror. A Silverstone/Black with Performance Pack (or whatever it's called)

Then took some drift and circuit training (not in my car but in a BMW provided M3 and M5). That's when I changed from confident to humble. This car does have a 2000kilo and 560HP combination. Especially the weight was something new for me (as you already know by now, owning a R8, I'm a rookie). As soon as the back brakes "free" you need to work. But it's all fun and games on a closed race track. So every F-up ended pretty safe.

The inevitable happened, I made the mistake of going to the track in my M5. So this happened after roughly 5 minutes on public road.

Attachment 965286

Traction control off, left it in automatic, did a near perfect slide over an intersection, feeling pretty gangster passing the middle of the intersection making sure everybody's looking at me...and then the car decided to change gears, and decided to challenge me. Instead of pointing the wheels in the direction I was actually going, I think I decided to not do the right thing and hit a curb instead. I never wanna talk about that moment ever again.

This was clearly a sign I should be less-gangster. So I made a minor mod and got a 520d badge...

Attachment 965278

It's not a daily driver for me and nevertheless 2013 had a dreadful summer (in europe) I still managed to drive ±30.000 kms in 12 months. After owning the C63 I'm more than happy with the gas usage. The AMG could empty a full gas tank within the hour. The M5 on the other hand has an amazing engine/milage and less of a drinking problem than it's owner.

Recently I got bored again and was looking for something new. Instead of making a stupid choice and buying a midlife crisis car (was aiming for a SLS, nuff said) at 33 years old I decided to go another way. Digging through the forum (great inspiration) I got obsessed with getting the right engine/exhaust sound. To make a long story short: Installed a Akrap Titanium and opened the valves permanently (yes the Akrap has those as well).

Attachment 965283

The sound outside is another car, best mod/buy ever. It finally sounds like a 600HP-ish car. Very expensive (was looking at an Eissenmann as well) but worth it in the end.

The only downside is something that has to do with the position on earth I live. Somehow God really hates this part of the world because you couldn't imagine how shiity the weather is here 365 days a year. We get like 2 weeks of spring and 50 weeks of autumn. You can never open the window and not freeze your ass off. The car is so well isolated the interior experience of the exhaust note is still very faint. Any suggestions on improving that (without a saw & sledgehammer) is welcome.

Attachment 965281

I have to talk about the performance experience from my point of view. It's mind boggling that you can drive this car (in Germany off course...) at 300kmh and still have a conversation in the car. It feels safe, feels lightweight, steering and/or brake corrections don't scare the living sh!t out of you, but most of all... It will just not stop pulling, in any gear, at any speed. It's so impressive I've totally forgiven the fact it has a turbo gap (don't care what anybody says how small, it's there). Kick it in 5th gear at 60kmh and you'll still be able to rip shreds of asphalt from the highway till you hit 300kmh, same gear. There should be an advertisement with that slogan, sales will go up.

Attachment 965282

Thanks for reading or ignoring this message. See you soon at a gas station anywhere.

/Erik
nice post mate and great car/mods.. I'm newish too, but welcome!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm View Post
Hi

Attachment 965284

Attachment 965285

Attachment 965286

Attachment 965278

Attachment 965283

Attachment 965281

Attachment 965282

/Erik
Erik

I just read this and it's an awesome intro. I like your car and your attitude. That 520d badge is hilarious! We should all get those.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Congrats on the new ride and welcome
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

nice one,
welcome
      02-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

welcome!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
DIMBA
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Singapore Grey

Garage List
Nice car, great post
You must have some fun when an ill educated other driver tries to take you on!!
"Feck me that's quick for 520 diesel"
Appreciate 0