M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
smallgirl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Saphir Metallic F10 M5

Pothole Damage - Calgary, Canada

Guys

Hit a pothole last night on the way home in rush hour traffic - both front & rear passenger side tyres (possibally rims - dont know yet) damaged - one definite puncture , the other big bubble.

For any Calgarians it was West Bound on Bow Trail & 37st SW (just by the Shell Gas Stn).

Not good - car is in with BMW Calgary right now being assessed. There will be an interesting discussion with them as they have indicated that my tyre & rim coverage ( 5yr unlimited mileage) might not cover everything.

Be aware - these high performance rims & tyres are not that strong and before anyone chimes in no I was not driving agressively. I know this road very well as I work downtown and have used it on & off for 10 yrs now.

There has been roadwork ongoing on this particular streach.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Tell them to pound sand. Same thing at Bavaria BMW in Edmonton. I trashed a rim and tire and they said the insurance company was not going to cover the damage. I found the contract went to the SA and showed them the verbage in the contract that clearly stated that they fully covered pothole damage. I think with my contract the total payout did cap out around 6,500 max.

Also you can go after the city for damages too. My friend hit a pothole that caused 4K damage to here 335i. She is working with the city, and they are going to pay for some of her damages. She took a picture of the pothole and it was fucking huge.
      09-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
smallgirl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

yeah I'm having a real ding-dong with the dealership, several phone calls yesterday and still no resolution - I have sent them photos of the pothole.

It amazes me that in today's day & age you have people (corporations) that want to rip you off - daylight robbery. A man works hard for his gains - don't belittle that.

Next step may be BMW Canada or BMW NA - lets see.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgirl
yeah I'm having a real ding-dong with the dealership, several phone calls yesterday and still no resolution - I have sent them photos of the pothole.

It amazes me that in today's day & age you have people (corporations) that want to rip you off - daylight robbery. A man works hard for his gains - don't belittle that.

Next step may be BMW Canada or BMW NA - lets see.
As another member said,

If you purchased the wheel and tire protection then you should go to the dealer and show them the contract. That's the best way to get the issue resolved. Many dealers don't know as much as you'd expect them to.
      09-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Yes. Same failures happened to me this year. Both left side tires done. TPMS light on immediately. Wrecker service was not.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I invested in tire/wheel protection. Worth every penny.
      09-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
smallgirl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Im being told now that the flat is covered, the rim (depending on how buckled it is) may/or may not be (I said BS to that) and the rear with the bubble (not safe to drive) is not - my tyre policy is with Platinum.

More emails exchanged this morning with the dealership - still no full reslolution apart from 1 new tyre that has been ordered.

They were trying to direct my attention to policy wording about substandard/detrimental road surfaces - I politely told them not to go there.

As I have said before, us guys here in Canada have a raw deal due to lack of competition and polution base. Sucks sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

You may also be able to file a claim for damages with the city.

Im pretty sure, in Edmonton anyways, if a pothole has been reported to the city and hasnt been fixed within 72 hours, they reimburse for damages.

We had the summer of pothole hell a couple of years ago and one of my friends claimed the cost of a full front suspension replacement from the city.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
smallgirl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update - got everything covered under platinum warranty - man I had to really push BMW Calgary as I was not taking this lying down. 15 days in total at the dealership - not good. I had every man and his dog phoning me from the dealership except the managers!!

My brother in the UK had his Audi engine replaced in 1 week start to finish - go figure, pretty poor service but as I mentioned above it all paid off - so I am grateful.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgirl
Update - got everything covered under platinum warranty - man I had to really push BMW Calgary as I was not taking this lying down. 15 days in total at the dealership - not good. I had every man and his dog phoning me from the dealership except the managers!!

My brother in the UK had his Audi engine replaced in 1 week start to finish - go figure, pretty poor service but as I mentioned above it all paid off - so I am grateful.
thanks, good to know. I'm here in Calgary as well.
2013 M5 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
darkz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [9.00]
2012 BMW X3  [9.00]
2013 Ford F150 FX4  [10.00]
I always thought Calgary roads are better than Edmonton, but damn these dealerships are so bad on their service nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I had the same issue, but this time it was a fracture on the wheel of my 335i. BMW Gallery did not want to cover it, so I ended up buying a new wheel.

When the wheel arrived, there were obvious reinforcements on the new wheel compared to the old wheel (BMW knows the issue, but won't cover it)

So I brought the two side-by-side to the Service Manager and pointed out the difference

After 1 week of fighting, BMW Canada finally agreed to cover the wheel free of charge.

This is without the wheel and tire warranty.
Appreciate 0