M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Dinan coilover vs KW HAS spring kit

I have 2013 non-CP M5. I need to lower it slightly, around .75 to 1". I was thinking of Dinan vs KW HAS. I would like to retain EDC functionality. I am confused as to which to choose. Cost seems not too different between the two. I would like to compare ride/handling in both setups. I have not driven either setup. It is my daily driver so no track use. Would like to get feedback on people with either setup. Any suggestion on sway bars also would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Can't compare the two because i have not driven a car with the KW's. I really do like my Dinan coilers though.

You really have two mainstream options for the sways; Dinan sways or CP sways. CP sways will cost about half as much and provide a great locked in feeling but are not adjustable. The Dinan sways allow more options but cost 2-3x more.
      10-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

How would you compare stock vs the Dinan coilovers you have? Did you change the sway bars as well? thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

How much are the Dinan coil overs? How are the costs the same?
A full coilover setup, especially from Dinan, would be around $3K, wouldn't it?

The KW H.A.S is around $1K.

Either way -- you are comparing apples and oranges.

HAS is a sleeve kit vs a full coilover.

Go with the full coilover (as long as it IS a full coilover setup).
      10-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It is about $1500 for Dinan vs $1200 for KW sleeves. I want opinions from someone who has either one of these apples. I have it narrowed down to one of these since you retain edc.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

I have the Dinan coilovers and the Dinan swaybar set. My car is lowered about .75 inches in the front, a little less in the rear. (When both ends were lowered, I thought the rear looked too 'squatty', so I had that end raised to make the front and rear wheel wells equal height.) The springs are advertised as 15% stiffer than stock (non comp-pack) springs. You can feel a difference, and the car is less likely to pitch front and back under hard braking or acceleration. There is a little bit more 'pogo-ing' over wavy pavement, but it hasn't been objectionable. I also have the sway bars, and the difference there is more noticeable than the springs. Both bars are set to their minimum stiffness levels, which are still stiffer than the comp-pack versions. The car corners much flatter than stock, and feels more like the E90 M3 I traded to by the M5. There isn't much downside to having the stiffer bars, though you sometimes feel a little side to side movement over roads that aren't level from left to right. Between the new springs and sway bars, I find the car much more enjoyable to drive. Next weekend I'm taking it to a High Performance Driving Education event in the area. I'm hoping the car doesn't exhibit some of the things the car mags didn't like about the non-comp F10 (too much body roll, too much front end 'up and down', etc.) According to my SA, with both bars set to the minimum, the car maintains the tendency to understeer at the limit. That's fine with me, as I'm not an experienced racer, and I don't want the rear end of a 4300 lb. car to swing wide while rounding a 90 mph curve. I'll be wearing a helmet, but not a diaper...
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for some meaningful feedback. Very helpful. I would love to hear your review after the high performance event.
Appreciate 0