M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

03-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
Just coming up to 3,000 miles in mine and so far I have not had to top it at all.

Far better than my previous E39 & E60 M5's at similar millage.....
Great news whats the economy like compared to the E60?.
      03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Great news whats the economy like compared to the E60?.
I was seeing an average of 16.5mpg over 35,000 miles I did in my E60, the F10 is currently around 20.9mpg over 3,000 miles. On short journeys less than 15miles the car is quite heavy until it starts to warm up, also in slow traffic and when you press the loud pedal.

I am very pleased with the consumption level and the range, I swapped from a Maserati GT S and was seeing 16mpg and shorter range in the Maser....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
I was seeing an average of 16.5mpg over 35,000 miles I did in my E60, the F10 is currently around 20.9mpg over 3,000 miles. On short journeys less than 15miles the car is quite heavy until it starts to warm up, also in slow traffic and when you press the loud pedal.

I am very pleased with the consumption level and the range, I swapped from a Maserati GT S and was seeing 16mpg and shorter range in the Maser....
Great.
      03-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Added my first quart last night. Break-in service was at approx 1500 miles. 51xx on odometer when I added the quart.
OK. So I have now experimented some. Since the weather has been warmer I have been having more "fun" in the car. Lots of 15-100mph runs with some guys at work; just generally enjoying the backroads more; less time with the wife in the car; etc. This means a lot more time in S+/S/S with D2 or D3 or just Manual 3. Carbon filters have been deleted. I'm now at ~6200 miles.

Up till this trip to Atlanta last night I had been at 17 mpg for more or less duration of that fun time.

This is significantly different than on the last sampling I provided where 2-3 mpg was more typical.

Note this is still principally across my daily commute route (a mix of urban and interstate to the tune 26 mi one way): no weekend trips (till this weekend) and no track / off road events.

Last night I was in "limo" mode and got 24 mpg from Decatur, AL to Lithia Springs, GA. So I can still drive conservatively and there is nothing "wrong" with the car.

Half way through my trip (~6100), my add oil warning was displayed. I added oil: no drama.

I say all of this to indicate that it is now my experience that how you drive the M5 has a meaningful impact on oil consumption. BUT one sample does not a conclusion make. (Channeling Yoda there.)

Now if someone else would like to repeat the experiment one way or the other (hard to soft / soft to hard) I'd be happy for another datapoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK. So I have now experimented some. Since the weather has been warmer I have been having more "fun" in the car. Lots of 15-100mph runs with some guys at work; just generally enjoying the backroads more; less time with the wife in the car; etc. This means a lot more time in S+/S/S with D2 or D3 or just Manual 3. Carbon filters have been deleted. I'm now at ~6200 miles.

Up till this trip to Atlanta last night I had been at 17 mpg for more or less duration of that fun time.

This is significantly different than on the last sampling I provided where 2-3 mpg was more typical.

Note this is still principally across my daily commute route (a mix of urban and interstate to the tune 26 mi one way): no weekend trips (till this weekend) and no track / off road events.

Last night I was in "limo" mode and got 24 mpg from Decatur, AL to Lithia Springs, GA. So I can still drive conservatively and there is nothing "wrong" with the car.

Half way through my trip (~6100), my add oil warning was displayed. I added oil: no drama.

I say all of this to indicate that it is now my experience that how you drive the M5 has a meaningful impact on oil consumption. BUT one sample does not a conclusion make. (Channeling Yoda there.)

Now if someone else would like to repeat the experiment one way or the other (hard to soft / soft to hard) I'd be happy for another datapoint.
So your consumption is 1100 miles/litre as you topped off @ 5100 miles last time.Thats a big thirst to me.
      03-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #28
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
So your consumption is 1100 miles/litre as you topped off @ 5100 miles last time.Thats a big thirst to me.
Yep. But I'd rather burn through oil than other materials in the engine when I choose to push it hard. Oil is cheap. If it didn't consume 'some' oil then I would be worried.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #29
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

So since no one else has accepted the driving style challenge...

I've now got my next datapoint from somewhat less aggressive driving. 7800 miles added next quart.

Interestingly enough, when I added the quart (note this was within 5 miles of the warning) and then remeasured I had not reached the nirvana of the Max line on the display. Instead I would say I was at 75% of min/max.

This makes me wonder if the devil is in the details...
I have a partially open bottle at the house (needed full synthetic for some coo coo clock repair.) I'm considering topping off based on the digital gauge to ensure my datapoints are based on accurate travel between min and max and not something less.

PS still no real drama about this from my side. Just trying to contribute and be as accurate as is reasonably possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Interestingly enough, when I added the quart (note this was within 5 miles of the warning) and then remeasured I had not reached the nirvana of the Max line on the display. Instead I would say I was at 75% of min/max.

This makes me wonder if the devil is in the details...
My oil light came on for the first time today at 3556 miles, with my break in service having been done at 1246 miles. Added one quart and did the electronic oil level check, showed 80% toward the max line from the add line. Added perhaps 6 oz. after that and rechecked, still at 80%, so I left it at that.
Appreciate 0