BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

What is the procedure to inflate a flat or low tire?

I started the M5 up this morning to drive to the airport for a quick to-LA-and-back business trip and noticed a "low air pressure in left rear tire" alert. It was down to 19.2lbs.

It took me less than ten seconds to find the culprit - a construction screw sitting in the center footprint of the tread - the byproduct of living in a new construction neighborhood.

I was tight on time, woke the wife and was fortunate that she was willing to take one for the team and drive me to the airport in time for me to make my flight (I despise taxis). I didn't check the trunk to confirm what flat repair kit the 2015 M5's come with already - although I do recall it came with something from my orientation at the Welt in November.

I'm hopeful someone within this community can provide me with some guidance - what do I need and/or can I do when I get back to Seattle Thursday night to get air in my tire? I have my break-in service Friday morning at Seattle BMW and really want to get the car there for it's appointment

Also hoping the tire is repairable vs. in need of a replacement.

TIA - Sean
      02-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Plug in air compressor and pump up tire. Drive to tire replacement center. If hole is big and flat bed is not an option then use the can of fix a flat as last resort.

I've got a set of replacement tires ready to go in my garage. Most leaks are slow and you can make an appointment to get a new pair put on if a tire goes bad and make it to the appointment with air top offs as needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Plug in air compressor and pump up tire. Drive to tire replacement center. If hole is big and flat bed is not an option then use the can of fix a flat as last resort.

I've got a set of replacement tires ready to go in my garage. Most leaks are slow and you can make an appointment to get a new pair put on if a tire goes bad and make it to the appointment with air top offs as needed.
Thanks. Are you saying that the M5 comes with a plug in air compressor kit already? Or advising that I use my own air compressor (which I do not currently have...).
      02-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788698

Air compressor and fixaflat.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

That tire is patchable.

Just jack up the car, take off the wheel, and get the tire patched at a local tire shop. Probably $10 since the wheel is loose (not on the car).
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Dude... Only nerds drive themselves to the airport. Lol.

Just messin.

But seriously...I'm not a fan of taxis either... So let me suggest Uber. That's what I use for rides to the airport and back. Nice, clean town car style service is what I've experienced.

Good luck with the tire.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
That tire is patchable.

Just jack up the car, take off the wheel, and get the tire patched at a local tire shop. Probably $10 since the wheel is loose (not on the car).
True, but just remember that the M5 has lug bolts and not lug nits and can be a pia to remount. Make sure you have a good jack. I have a portable compressor which I bought from Home Depot for about $40. Greta little thing to have for bikes, balls, car tire top offs, etc. Check out some here:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...tialmax&NCNI-5
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
True, but just remember that the M5 has lug bolts and not lug nits and can be a pia to remount. Make sure you have a good jack. I have a portable compressor which I bought from Home Depot for about $40. Greta little thing to have for bikes, balls, car tire top offs, etc. Check out some here:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...tialmax&NCNI-5
Thanks for the guidance on the lug bolts and recommendation on the compressor - I'll check them out.

The small compressor that comes in the trunk of the M5er to my surprise worked well and BMW Seattle was able to patch the tire. No drama.

I'm enjoying the driving experience post break-in service. Bonus: The IND LCI cosmetic package will arrive tomorrow... looking forward to a little weekend project
      02-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
Thanks for the guidance on the lug bolts and recommendation on the compressor - I'll check them out.

The small compressor that comes in the trunk of the M5er to my surprise worked well and BMW Seattle was able to patch the tire. No drama.

I'm enjoying the driving experience post break-in service. Bonus: The IND LCI cosmetic package will arrive tomorrow... looking forward to a little weekend project
Enjoy and post pix!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I don't know how anyone lives without a compressor, a real one- that drives air tools , air guns, paint guns, etc... Just sayin'... This doesn't seem to be "that" crowd...
Appreciate 0